And so it begins... KimberlyRae's Whole30

today is Day 1....

I've come to realize I'm a food addict, or, rather, a food like substance addict.... Sugar mostly! I'm not positive but thinking, for me, sugar may be one of those things I can never have.  Like an alcoholic can't have 'just one' drink. 

There is no moderation, at least not now, for me with sugary stuff.  I'm not satisfied with a normal size bag of M&M's, nope, I have to have the large bag, not the large size/king size you find at the check out, nope the 1lb bag you find down the aisles... And it can be consumed in less than an hour...

I've found, today, I'm not super hungry.. and yes I realize under-eating isn't good either, but I'm going to go with it today and just eat, Whole30 compliant, when my tummy tells me its hungry.

I'll try to update daily, or if nothing else check in just to read others posts for encouragement...

Day 1 was me being way underfed but seriously NOT hungry. 

Meals:

Venison/cauliflower

handful of macadamia nuts

Boneless Pork/brussel sprouts

Grapes/cup of green tea (no sweetner)

While grapes are a health snack, I found myself likely eating more then I should have.  Its not that I was hungry either.  Just habits/patterns, life of a binge eater.  Perhaps, even though they are healthy, its a fruit I shouldn't have in the house.  If I can't control  my portions, I'm not really learning anything.

I realize whole30 is not weighing, measuring, counting calories... but I know one CAN over eat good foods.. granted addicts don't binge on chicken and asparagus, but eating several portions of grapes is still an issue.

Onto Day2

I find myself not eating enough as well. Mine is because I'm sick, and any and all foods make me feel like I'm going to throw up. I started eating my egg/veggie bake for breakfast, had to sit down and have my son bring me a banana (of which I ate half) and a bottle of water. I just can't get anything down!

Welcome to Whole30! I would highly encourage you to try and create and consume 3 minimum template meals every 4-6 hours regardless of perceived hunger. When we are coming off the SAD, especially with large sugar consumption, our bodies signals are WAY out of wack. You need to give your body the food it really needs on a regular schedule to assure it that you are not just toying with it. Create a meal of a palm of protein, 2-3 cups of veggies, and 1-2 servings of fat and than eat around the plate evenly (don't just leave the veggies for last for example). If you find you just can't finish it save the leftovers and have a mini meal when you are hungry again. Leave your 1-2 servings (fist sized) a day to be had as part of your meal or after your meal if you are still hungry. Snacking on fruit is not the best option because it goes very quickly to sugar in the blood stream and if you are battling a sugar dragon it will just keep the fire lit. When you feel a craving for sugar feed it with protein and fat or just do something else.

Good Luck to you. I started on Monday as well. Am debating on starting a log. I have realized, too that I have an addictive personality. Gluttony, whether it's food, social media, trying a new tv series on demand, or reading a book before bed. I have problems stopping.

I just wanted to add that if you chose to have fruit - try to make it in your meal or part of your meal.  I personally love Chicken broccoli salad for this - Shredded broccoli, handful of grapes cut in half, crumbled crisped proscuito, shredded chicken, and homemade ranch or creamy italian dressing.  You can add a boiled egg too if you feel you need some extra protein.  Also mandarins work well instead of the grapes too.  Pecans will work nice instead of the crisped proscuito too.

I too had a major sugar dragon.  It's smaller now, and it is reigned in quite a bit, but it still lives. It's just in a more acceptable place now.  I no longer have the need to eat ice cream everyday. :D  

Archived