What Hot Sauces are okay?

showardnv

• Moderators

You have to check the ingredients on each bottle. I seem to always be able to find something that is Whole30-compliant, but that sometimes means one or two out of 20 candidates. Many hot sauces have sugar or other off plan ingredients. Y

We don't like to share vendor names or particular varieties since we have been burned several times by vendors changing their formulations so that something that was okay (when we recommended it) becomes not okay (and confuses people who find that something we recommended now has sugar or soybean oil in it).

You are SO RIGHT, jtee, when I tell coworkers about Whole30 and explain the part about cutting out all sugar many will say "Oh yeah, I"ve done that too, I don't eat any sweets anymore." Uhhh.... did you know that your oatmeal and potato chips and dressing and tea and probably most everything else in your house right now if you're a typical American has sugar in it, too!??  It's really beginning to make me angry how altered and souped-up food is these days and people have no idea!

I wasn't sure if Franks was okay, because it lists "natural flavors" in the ingredients? I would love for it to be okay though, I do love me some Frands!

From a comment response in The Official "Can I Have" blog:

Valerie, “natural flavors†are not excluded on the program. Ideally, you're buying products that contain ingredients you recognize, but this isn't at all problematic, and doesn't require you to start over.

Best,

Melissa

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.Fo7wD1Hb.dpuf

You are SO RIGHT, jtee, when I tell coworkers about Whole30 and explain the part about cutting out all sugar many will say "Oh yeah, I"ve done that too, I don't eat any sweets anymore." Uhhh.... did you know that your oatmeal and potato chips and dressing and tea and probably most everything else in your house right now if you're a typical American has sugar in it, too!??  It's really beginning to make me angry how altered and souped-up food is these days and people have no idea!

Totally agree.  I used to think I was food saavy, but not so since being on Whole 30, the amount of learning that goes on in this program in amazing and eye opening.

To add - regular Tabasco is compliant as well:  red pepper, distilled vinegar, salt.

Cholula is acceptable as well.  Fortunately I like spicy, so there's usually half a dozen different bottles around.  This has come in handy as eggs are easy and I don't really care for eggs!  (Hot sauce makes everything better.)

• 4 years later...
  • Moderators
21 minutes ago, TaralynH said:

is Crystal hot sauce compliant

You need to read the ingredients and see if they are all compliant. If there a particular ingredient you can't figure out whether it's okay or not, come back and ask.

Archived