Sudden diarrhea at day 22

I'm on day 22 and have been on the verge of constipation up until day 19 (I've been constipated all my life so that's not the issue). That day, I took extra magnesium with the hope it would loosen things up (about 400mg). The next morning I had very soft stool, just once, in the morning, so I took only 90mg of magnesium that day thinking that would keep things stable. The next day, i still had the same thing, just one bout of diarrhea in the morning, but more watery. I took no magnesium on this day, Now today I'm having the same thing, although it went up to two bouts of watery diarrhea. Could magnesium have lasting affects longer than a day? Or am I dealing with something else? It seems odd that I could so quickly jump from a lifetime of constipation to days of diarrhea. I take digestive enzymes with every meal, a probiotic once a day, and I also take l-glutamine in the morning. The only thing I can think is that maybe this week I've had too many meals that had a lot of tomato sauce in them? I have eggs or meat with veggies every morning. Meat with veggies or salad for lunch and dinner. Most of my meat meals last week were either tikka masala or spaghetti meat sauce ( minus the noodles, of course). I did take two Imodium this afternoon, but I won't really know if they worked until tomorrow morning. Any thoughts on what I should do if it doesn't work?

• Moderators

After a lifetime of constipation, I would think you would celebrate shifting to a little diarrhea! :) Diarrhea is a common response to changing one's diet. Eating a lot of salad can be challenging as raw greens are harder to digest. 

I don't think magnesium is likely to be having a multi-day effect, but the 400 mg dose may have started something. If so, it should be about finished. 

I would say don't worry too much about a few days of diarrhea. It comes and goes for me. Taking Imodium is okay, but I would not make a big effort to completely eliminate the looseness of your stools unless urgency to go starts to cause problems for you. 

Archived