almost finished day 5, same symptoms as always

Hello-

This is my first time doing whole30 and I am on day 5 and have had no changes happen. I'm okay with that for now but hoping that things will start to improve. Here's a little history...

I have always had digestive problems since I can remember. I am now 30 years old. I had my gall bladder removed when I was 19 and have been 98% gluten free for over a year now. I am a healthy eater and exercise regularly. Being gluten free has seemed to help about 60% but not as much as I would like.

My symptoms have always included extreme bloating and inflammation (almost immediately following any food or drink), constipation, diarrhea and cramping. Nothing has changed since I started this diet. I have definitely upped my intake of meat and poultry (I was always eating yogurt, beans and grains for protein) and I wonder if it is taking my body some time to adjust to eating so much animal protein. I also wonder if the lack of a gall bladder plays any part in this.

I am considering taking the NOW super enzymes in hopes it will help but any info would be helpful here. I'm going to see the program through regardless but want to get the most out of it.

Thanks!

Laura

I'm not an expert, but I think a lot of people have said it took them a while to have their digestion settle in. Also, I know I've seen a lot of recs for probiotics. You might poke around the Whole 30 with Chronic Illness threads, and see if there's something relevant there -- I know there've been a bunch of threads about various digestive things.

I'm on day 29 and it took until about day 16 or so for my similar digestion issues to start getting better. It's still not perfect, but I suspect that damage done will take more time. I do feel better and I'm not using any of products I used prior to W30 (mirilax..etc). Hang in there! It WILL get better!

It's my understanding that the remaining 2% of gluten in your diet has pretty much the same affect on your body as the 98%. It only takes a little. So with that said, your body might take a bit longer to adjust to the difference in your body while on this journey. Stick it out and see where you are in a couple of weeks.

Yes. Enzymes, a good pro-biotic w/ HSO, and ZERO grains, beans, and thickeners should help quite a bit over time. It certainly has for me.

You may want to avoid raw foods for a while. Cook everything lightly at least, even berries.

Make sure you chew the bejeezus out of your food--it really makes a difference.

:)

Warning: This may be TMI for some folks. Proceed with caution.

Lauradex -

I am also missing my gallbladder. I've been paleo for 2 years now, but I have to say that I've never understood what a normal digestive cycle felt and...looked... like. I also have Crohn's, which equals batsh*t crazy guts, and changing my diet completely eliminated my symptoms. Unfortunately, right around that time, my gallbladder died and early and ugly death. Ignoring all advice, I never worried too much about my fat intake. I figured I felt the same as I always had, so that must be normal. Just recently, I started getting annoyed at all the talk about healthy poop and decided to give digestive enzymes a shot. Holy crap (pun intended. you can thank me later)! It made a world of difference.

I would recommend them highly, most especially since you don't have a gallbladder. Make sure you look for an enzyme supplement that contains ox bile (it sounds soooo gross, right?). That's what helps break down the fats.

Hope it all evens out for you!

thanks everyone for the input. I am going to order some enzymes today and let them work their magic. robin- I can totally relate on not ever knowing what it feels like to have a normal digestive system. when I'm having a "good" day I always wonder, "is this what feeling good feels like?" probably not. :)

thanks again!

Archived