persistent inflammation

I am on my forth Whole30 and I love the program! This time, however, I'm seeing something new, persistent inflammation!! My left knee, my hands and my feet are getting the aches. They aren't as awful as they were back before switch to paleo and then they went away completely with all previous Whole30s. They would reappear whenever I hit my threshold of honey/maple sugar that I would occasionally add back in.

I was really sick and woefully under prepared about three weeks ago and went completely off track by basically crawling to the kitchen and finding whatever little bit of "food" I could stuff in my face. I are all sorts of processed crap and, obviously, refined sugar.

But I'm on day 16 of this whole 30 and I'm still getting the aches. I am hesitant to think it is just residual pain left from going off track, since even my first whole 30 had resolved my inflammation before day 16.

Any ideas?! :). And I know absolutely that I'm not eating anything off plan. I prepare everything myself. Thanks in advance!!

Are you eating anything now that was different from your previous Whole30's? Sometimes even compliant foods can cause irritation in our systems. I had a reaction to carrot tops and to Swiss chard stems (my eczema flared up), both of which are just veggies, but both of which I had specific sensitivities to.

That actually might have something to do with it, particularly if you're eating nightshades like tomatoes and peppers, which some people are particularly sensitive to. Cooking helps break down the inflammation-causing alkaloids and make them less irritating. (This may apply to other vegetables as well to varying degrees.)

Try cutting back on raw veggies and eat mostly cooked for a while and see if that helps.

If by any chance you are eating a lot of seeds and nuts, that might be a cause as well. If that is the case, try reducing your intake of these, too.

Hope this helps!

Good luck! By the end of my whole30, I had a lot more aches and muscle pain than before it (when I was on primal). I realized that I was eating many tomatoes and red peppers each day and a lot more eggplant as well. I've cut out nightshades for 2 weeks and feel better. Perhaps the same will be true for you!

Glenn, just to check: I didn't realize cooking may make nightshades less inflammatory. I hope this proves true for me, since I would really like to add paprika and chili peppers, at least, back in to my cooking after my 3 weeks off all nightshades. I miss them!

Glenn, just to check: I didn't realize cooking may make nightshades less inflammatory. I hope this proves true for me, since I would really like to add paprika and chili peppers, at least, back in to my cooking after my 3 weeks off all nightshades. I miss them!

That's what I understand. Here's an article on nightshades that might be useful. Relevant quote:

"Finally, if sensitivity doesn't seem to be a problem but you'd like to take some reasonable precautions, know that cooking nightshade foods (steaming, boiling, baking) can reduce the alkaloid levels to nearly half."

Good luck! By the end of my whole30, I had a lot more aches and muscle pain than before it (when I was on primal). I realized that I was eating many tomatoes and red peppers each day and a lot more eggplant as well. I've cut out nightshades for 2 weeks and feel better. Perhaps the same will be true for you!

I think it depends on your body and the food. I find I handle cooked tomatoes much better than raw but can't eat any bell peppers at all. My reactions to nightshades tend to be heartburn related though too.

Archived