The self-care project (A post-W14 study)

jennor

jennor - your crackers sound wonderful. I have been planning to make some. I think I'll try them tomorrow.

I successfully navigated the farmers market this morning. It's been hard when I am working there to avoid the baked goods. But I did - only thought about them 2 times. So that's a win. I bought some lovely meat and veg.

Hope you start to feel well enough to exercise.

Happy homecoming!

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ashley, the crackers turned out really well. I did have to add an egg to the batter though, to make it stick together. We didn't eat them last night, but we just had some with breakfast this morning. I bought some fig jam with only fruit juice as a sweetener (St. Dalfour brand) and had that and Serrano ham. So luxurious! I recommend them as a baking project.

Good work at the farmers market! Maybe try to use the baked goods as inspiration for how to recreate the treats with better ingredients that will nourish you body rather than harm it?

Sleep: 8.5 hours of pure bliss. Sleep is better than expensive spa visits. How can I keep this amazing streak up?

Food:

Breakfast: 2eggs, veggie hash, tomatoes, a few paleo rosemary-raisin crackers w unsweetened fig jam and Parma ham. Coffee.

Lunch: Sautéed chicken thighs, salsicca and lamb kabanossi, veggie hash, big salad, mayo. De-caf. A few strawberries.

Dinner: Out at a nice outdoor summer restaurant: grilled chicken, pork cheek, lots of different salads. A few pieces dark chocolate and a de-caf when we got home. My sugar dragon feels more under control now, despite dark chocolate.

Exercise: today is the day. Cold be damned, today I'll go for a run. :) ETA: 6.4 km (4 mi) with little one in the running stroller and older one biking next to us. Lovely! Also did some body weight exercises, lunges, squats, push-ups and planks. Almost died- so out of shape! :)

It is so nice to have DH home again. It is just so much easier to be two adults, and so much more fun to have him around.

jennor - the cracker, ham, fig combo sounds wonderful. Yum! just ordered against all grain. Looking forward to trying some things. I'm going to try to make apple donuts - recipe has no added sugar. And an almond flour cracker. Both from 21dsd book.

Day 3 for me and I'm starting to feel better. Had magnesium before bed - slept pretty good but hot flashes have increased - hoping they chill soon. 😉

Had eggs, bacon, salsa, and avo for breakfast. Dinner will be some beautiful organic pastured pork chops I got yesterday with roast veg. Not sure about lunch.

Glad your dh is back. Hoping you get a wonderful run in!

Day 5 Monday 2014.06.02

Sleep: 7-ish hours. DH left the door open to our bedroom and it got so bright! I woke up at 4:20 thinking it was noon. The sun rises early here, and our bedroom never gets completely dark, but tomorrow we will keep the door closed to at least get it a bit darker. I might also try a sleep mask - I imagine that would be nice now that it is so bright outside.

Food:

Pre-WO: Egg, espresso

Post-WO/breakfast: 2 eggs, cup of mixed veg, handful nuts, cup of coffee.

Lunch: "Beef Parisienne" without the bread (beef patty, capers, pickled veg, horse radish, egg yolk), roasted fennikel, roasted zucchini, mixed salad, handful roasted nuts, green olive tapenade, piece of pineapple. Nectarine, de-caf.

Dinner: Pork chop, some salsicca and lamb sausage, sweet pot "fries", spinach, avo, honeydew salad, spicy dipping sauce. Handful nuts, a few pieces 100% chocolate and a de-caf.

Exercise: 13.6 km (8.5 mi) this morning before work. I didn't plan on going that far but I got a bit lost on the riding trails in the forrest here and had to double back to find my way out. It was so nice to be running again though. I am feeling a bit stiff in my hip/lower back area still from throwing out my back twice this spring, but I am confident that I can rebuild that stenght if I get to stay healthy enough to work out.

Yesterday I had some tummy ache and bloating after we came home from the restaurant. I don't know if maybe there was something in the food that was off plan for me? It wasn't too bad, but enough to remind me that I used to feel like that every single day. Every single day! This is why I am doing this. 100 days of paleo!

Hi jennor

Yay - you got a run in. Yay!!!

Sorry about meal out. I have found several restaurants where I cannot eat the beef patty. It's usually safe - but not always?? Hope you are feeling better today.

Made beautiful pastured pork chops last night. Oh my - they were good. Tonight we have pastured chicken thighs. I tried to buy all the meat for the week at the farmers market. It was pricey. Worth it though.

Sleep mask. If you can get one try a Bucky 40 Blinks. They have them at amazon in the US. I have been wearing one every night for 8 years. If you cannot get one - I will send you one. Truly worth it!!

Happy eating!!!

Hi Ashley! I think it was something from the BBQ at the restaurant on Sunday. They had chicken that looked like it was coated in something so I asked about gluten. He said it was just spices, but maybe there was some wheat flour in there as well? Anyway, I am all good now and it was a good reminder of how I uesd to feel after almost every meal. That was my normal, as scary as it sounds!

I tried a mask I got from an airline during a flight tonight and it felt a bit weird. You should have seen me fubling around for my alarm at 5 am in the morning, not quite sure why I couldn't see! :D I'll invest in a better mask like you suggested. I looked up the bucky 40 blinks and I can definitely see why it is much better than what I have! The one I have nade my eyes feel mushy, probably since it affects the blinking. I googeled around and found a similar one to the bucky 40 blinks and I just ordered two. (One for DH too, or he will just try to steal mine.) Thank you so much for the suggestion, I never would have known to look for one with bucky eyes like that! :)

Sleep: Well, 7-ish? Little one was waking up a lot. I feel pretty good though.

Food:

Post-WO: Egg

Breakfast: 2 eggs, salad with spinach, melon, nectatine and avocado, a few nuts and coconut shreds on top. Coffee.

Lunch:

Dinner:

Exercise: 7.4 km run before work, plus an additional 5.4 km for pre-school pick-up. Total of 12.8 km (8mi). I feel a bit stiff from the strenght training on Sunday. It is time to do another round, hopefully I can do some planks and push-ups when I get home before dinner. After dinner I am usually done.

Hi

I used a mask from an airline for the longest time. I think you'll like the new one better.

I made a apple crumble last night - no sweetener. It was very sweet even tho it was made with Granny Smiths. The crumble was ghee and almond meal. There was too much crumble and it never got crumbly. It was satisfying tho. Against all grain arrived yesterday. It's beautiful. I'm going to make something from it tonight.

So far so good. - day 5. Joints feel good. Allergies are better. Sleep is better (except for getting up 3 times to use the bathroom). I miss fruit tho. Especially what's in season. But not so much that I feel deprived. Which Is great.

Happy eating.

Hi

Day 6. Everything is going well. I am having no cravings - woooooohooooo!! And I don't feel deprived. We are having a little company tonight and I am making crackers.

Late breakfast - ended up eating dinner leftovers. Carnitas salad with guac. Plus a handful of pecans.

Not hungry for lunch but will have a snack of crackers, Proscuitto, tomatoes.

Dinner - bratwurst, grilled veg, salad

Need to go make mayo and crackers.

Happy eating.

Day 7.

Had a lovely breakfast of dinner's leftovers with 2 eggs. Will have tuna salad for lunch. Going to make cauliflower tortillas tonight to eat with ground meat, onions, peppers, and guac. Also put bananas in the freezer for a treat this weekend. Slept terribly - have take some natural calm tonight.

I have the farmers market this Saturday. I need to start planning what I will take to eat. Also I need to make crackers for a party Saturday. Lots and lots of cooking.

jennor - how is it going?

Hi

I tried for about an hour to resist the bakery. They put me right next to the croissant baker at the farmers market - I'm sitting 4 ft from stacks of them. No excuses. 😣 What I noticed is I enjoyed the croissant but then it was gone. There was no lasting joy. Interesting. No regrets - that's the practice for the day. Also I refuse to throw in the towel and I'm calling this day 8.

I followed it up with cold leftovers. The cauliflower tortillas were a big hit. And tasted pretty good cold this morning.

Here's to caring for ourselves - in all the many ways.

Oh, Ashley, I think your last post cut off at the end - what happened with the croissant???? I am keeping my fingers crossed that you made it without devouring it!

I have been MIA for a few days. Off-site stuff with work, then home with sick kid then traveling to a family thing. I am doing ok with the food. i could probably eat a little less of it in general. i felt a bit ... chunky, for lack of a better word when we were at the beach today. I am liking the sleep mask though. It makes it easier to sleep the last hours in the morning.

I need to count the days, not sure. Anyway, 2014-06-07

Sleep: 8 hours. :)

Food:

Breakfast: Fried egg, chorizo, veggie hash, spinash, coffee.

Lunch: Fried egg, salsicca, veggie hash, big salad, spicy dipping suace

Snack: Coffee, piece of 70% chocolate

Dinner: salmon, grilled sausages (2), sweet potato "fries", salad. Strawberries and homemade coconut vanilla ice cream.

Later: De-caf espresso, 2 pieces 70% chocolate

Exercise: After a few days off due to sinus ingfection and pink eye, I am back at it. Ran 11.1 km (about 6.9 mi) and it felt great. Finished at the beach with a dip in the ocean.

It is late and I need to get to bed.

jennor - I did not resist the croissant. And it was totally unsatisfying. And I had indigestion after and I feel pooky this morning. Good to know. Also I did not have a sweet croissant (big win) and I'm not having any cravings. Very excited by that.

Today is a big day - I have a client coming to the house to look at hair ornaments I am making for her wedding. I am hugely behind. Off to go have breakfast and a cup of coffee - then to work.

Your run followed by the ocean sounds wonderful. Happy eating!!!

I am sorry I have been so MIA the last few days. It's been a holiday in Sweden and the weather has been lovely, so I have been taking full advantage. :)

I had a run in with some homemade chocolate cake a relative made for me during the weekend - it was good, but at the same time I am not sure it was worth it. I think I feel for it because I couln't really find enough compliant food at lunch to keep me full. Anyway, I am still aiming to do 100 days of Paleo - it won't be perfect, but it will be good. Glad to have you on board too Ashely!

Day ? (I need to look this up!) 2014 06 10

Sleep: 7-6.5 hours. After a long weekend this feels fine.

Food:

Breakfast: 2 eggs, veggie hash, 2 small donut peaches (Oh how delicious!)

Lunch: A mix of things from the buffet: chicken liver with apple/cabbage salad, apple/thyme sausage w/ pickle, ground beef with fresh salsa and jalapenos, mix of salad and vegetables, piece of melon.

Dinner:

I notice that when I run I have a much harder time with not snacking. I get hungrier, of course.

Today is a really warm day and I might take the kids to the beach after work, and just have dinner there. That is the advantage with pre-cooking so much of your food - you are ready to just throw together a picnic dinner without much notice!

Exercise: Not sure. I hope a run, but not sure how I would fit it in....

jennor - I thought you were eating extra when you're exercising. I don't think that counts as snacking.

I hope you have a wonderful time at the beach!!

Everything here is going well. Most importantly I have not binged on sugar. Woohoo! This way is doable. We are going out for Pho tonight. I'm going to test it again - no noodles of course. This week the husband and I are going to start exercising together. It'll be nice to do that together. jennor - how is your husband's knee recovery coming?

Here's to 100 days. It's not perfect but we're figuring out how to care for ourselves.

Ashley, I think it is doable as well. Today is an all day event with work including dinner. I'll find something I can eat.
My husband's knee is doing ok, he can walk very well and can try running two weeks from now. I miss running together!

Weird mood today - I had the typical stress dream last night. The kind where you look down and realise you are on your high school football field without your pants on. Except the adult version, where you are at an important meeting without your computer, totally unprepared and wearing the t-shirt you slept in. I still feel kind if shaken up.

Now back to the work event... Sigh.

jennor - so good to hear about his knee!

I hate stress dreams. I usually dream that I am unprepared.

Today I feel pookey. I ate a few fries last night. Ack. They are off my list as well. This morning we had a lovely breakfast of peppers, onions, eggs, and bacon. I also made hard boiled eggs and chicken. Will make crackers later. Sleep is still an issue. Digestion is good. Sugar dragon is sleeping.

Hope your day went well.

Congratulations on the sleeping sugar dragon, Ashley!

The meeting went well, it was not somethibg where I had to perform, just a department getaway with some leadership psycologist and stuff, ending with a dinner. I think the stress is because I have a long list of things to get done but all the Out of Office-events keep getting in the way of "real" work. Tomorrow is an all day course in Intellectual Property Rights. It will probably be great, but it means one more day of being out of the office.

Today Wednesday 2014 06 11

Sleep: 7 hours, didn't sleep well. I felt stressed all day.

Food:

Breakfast at home: 2 eggs

Breakfast at meeting: 2 slices paleo nut bread, strawberries, two coffee

Lunch: Buffet, smoked salmon, mussels wit apple-cucumber salad, asparagus, salad, chicken. Piece 75% chocolate, coffee.

Snack: Coffee, 75% chocolate. 

Dinner: Salmon, salad, mayo. De-caf, small piece 75% chocolate.

(Yes, they had free 75% chocolate at the meeting. Obviously I ate a little too many, but they were small.)

Exercise: An hour of Danish baseball as part of the teambuilding.

2014 06 12

Sleep: 7 hours. Woke up before the alarm. Feel rested.

Food:
Breakfast: 2 eggs, veggie hash followed by some fruit later at today's course. Coffee x 2.
Lunch: meat, fish and salad. Dark chocolate, coffee.
Snack: Nuts, fruit, coffee. (Sleepy!)
Dinner: Chicken thighs, sweet potato, salad, avocado. De-caf and piece of dark chocolate.

Eww, I am so over the off-site events for now. Back to regular food and exercise, please!

Exercise: Nah. Another long day.

Day 15 2014 06 13 

Friday the 13th! Note to self: Drive carefully and do not walk under any ladders.

Sleep: 6 hours if I am lucky. I woke up around 3-4 am and stressed for 1-2 hours before falling back to sleep for a short while before my alarm beeped.

Food:

Breakfast: Of course I forgot my breakfast at home today. :( Grabbed fruit and nuts at work. Peaches and walnuts, coffee.

Lunch: Homemade chorizo sausage, grilled pork, mixed veg, salad, fruit, olives. Another coffee.

Dinner:

No exercise. Too tired and i have a 10K race tomorrow.

Yeah, so pretty sleepy today. I am looking forward to the weekend and at the same time not. I feel behind at work and like all the holidays and off-site days in the past weeks have left me drowning in emails, meetings and data that needs to be analysed. Stressed. I am working hard on leaving work at work, at least. ;)

After a week with lots of off-site breakfasts of freshly baked bread (that I didn't eat) I was craving bread for the first time in a long time. On Friday we went out for dinner, to an Italian restaurant. The pizza looked amazing, so I had pizza too. It was good, but in no way better than my usual paleo food. The day after (Saturday) I had fresh bread for breakfast and again, it was good but not AS good as I had imagined. I ended up putting it down and telling my husband that I didn't think it lived up to my expectations. :) It is just great when I realize these things!

Saturday day 16 20140614

Sleep: 8 hours. I love when the kids let us sleep past 5:30!!!!

Food:

Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, toasted levain bread w fig spread and sharp cheddar, coffee.

Lunch: salsicca con vino (finally a sausage with bread ingredient list!), chicken thigh, veggie hash, salad

Coffee before the race.

Dinner: fish soup w a mayo w saffron, garlic and chili, some of the meat from an Asian dish, cherries

After dinner luxuries: de-caf lungo, some 70% chocolate. I found a French brand with no lecitine, it was delicious but verrrry expensive.

Exercise: my older daughter ran the kids race (1 km) so I ran that with her. She did great, ran the entire way and made it in just under 7 min! I did a warm-up and then ran my 10 k race. I ran it in 47 min, which is just what I expected based on a winter with one sickness after another and not much training. Well, it was a lot of fun and I look forward to racing more this summer! All in all I probably did around 8 mi.

Sunday, day 17 20140615

Sleep: 8 hours. I love that the littlest one sleeps longer in the mornings. I feel rested and happy.

Food:
Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, veggie hash, tomato, vinegrette, coffe w coconut milk
Lunch: 2 Louisiana-style sausages, veggie hash, mixed salad, vinegrette. De-caf lungo, 3 pieces dried mango, 3 squares 100% chocolate.
Dinner: burger patties wrapped in lettuce with homemade spicy dressing and veggies. Sweet potato "fries", grilled red pepper. De-caf lungo and a grilled peach for dessert.

De-caf, 2 small squares 100% chocolate.

Exercise: run, 13.2 km (8.2 mi). We did the first 2 mi together the entire family (my husband's first run post surgery, hurrah!) and then I continued for another 10 km by myself. Also doing some strength training and stretching while little DD naps.

I will start a training program for Palma de Mallorca marathon next week. I look forward to following a training program again, but I know it will be a struggle to find the time to get the longer runs in during the week. I'll just have to push myself and remember how good I feel when I train hard, and how sweet it would be to run at least close to my PR in October.

Hi jennor

Been busy with family issues. Everyone is ok but it's been stressful. I went off road and do not feel good. Still have a bad connection between sugar and stress and treats. Digestion is ok but sugar dragon is now awake. I'm irritated with myself but I am not defeated!!! Today I have my cookbooks out and I am ready to start again. The fridge/freezer is stocked with good meat and veg - went to the farmers market yesterday.

Here's to taking care of ourselves!!!

Hi Ashley, I know what you mean about stress-sleep-sugar being deeply connected. We just keep trying, right? And looking back, see how far you have come! What feels like total into-the-ditch off-roading now, that was how I used to eat all the time just a year ago!

Archived