Kayt's 1st Whole 30

Kayt

Ok so a friend of mine decided to join forces for support and do the whole 30 together.  Yesterday was our first day.  I know that she had some cravings last night, but for me  I was physicaly in pain.  I had a migraine to end all migraines last night.  I was in bed at 8.30.  My eight year old daughter made it longer then I did before falling asleep.

I know that I should at some point be getting a feeling of extra energy.  And I didn't expect this to happen on the first day, but I didn't expect to feel ill either.  I am starting today off a little better planned i think, I missed breakfast yesterday and have already had it this morning.  So that is a good thing.

But a question for anyone who reads this.. What is the turning point?  When do you get the rainbows and glitter ah ha moment?

:) :)

Kayt

Welcome to Whole30! Each of us is an individual snowflake so the turning point is different for everyone and has a lot to do with context. Not eating your first meal yesterday probably didn't help your headache though. I would encourage you to log your food, activity, and sleep here to get feedback so you can have the best experience possible. 

So last night the migraine didn't come on till about 8 pm... So going to bed early was in order again.  I fell asleep about 9.30 and slept through till 5 am.  This NEVER happens.  So I am ok with it.

Yesterday I got 80 ounces (that is when I stopped counting) of water in and that was during my work hours.

Breakfast:

Chicken Sausage from trader Joe's garlic and herb

Handfull of blue berries

Lunch:

Carne Asada with home made salsa and guacamole

Sliced Yellow peppers.

Snack:

toasted Seaweed

Dinner:

Scrambled eggs with onion, bell pepper, mushrom, and half a chicken sausage

Cut up strawberries

Drinks yesterday were purely water with lemon in them.  Water has always been a issue with me so I am trying to drink as much as possible while at work.  When I am there I can be conscience about tracking it.  Fill my water bottle, empty it  there we go20 ounce down for the day.  :) :)

While yesterday i have to admit i did feel al ittle discouraged, today feels better so far.

Water will definitely help and I have to say I'm a little jealous of that glorious sleep you got!

Your 2nd and 3rd meal look pretty good though hard to gauge the portions. Your 1st meal is very light and lacking vegetables. Try adding some more protein and a good serving of vegetables to that meal and it will go a long way. Make sure fruit doesn't push vegetables off your plate ever.

On the snack, were you hungry or just wanting to eat? Hungry for a snack indicates not enough food. Just wanting to eat indicates a habit that needs changing. If you really do need something between meals we suggest having a mini meal with protein and fat. 

Breakfast is a REALLY hard meal for me bc i have done years and years of no breakfast.  I am hopping to put on the big girl pants  onver this first week, and get to a real breakfast point. 

My snack was a habit at work, that needs to be broken.  The first day of whole 30 I emptied my snack drawer at work of everything except the seaweed, and a jar of almond macadamia nut butter which now i am pretty sure I can't have anyway.  It has coconut sugar in it. So I think I need to hide that one too.  At 3, it tends to be snack time around the office... Just need to quit that. 

This program is about breaking habits and making new ones right?

Breakfast is a REALLY hard meal for me bc i have done years and years of no breakfast.  I am hopping to put on the big girl pants  onver this first week, and get to a real breakfast point. 

My snack was a habit at work, that needs to be broken.  The first day of whole 30 I emptied my snack drawer at work of everything except the seaweed, and a jar of almond macadamia nut butter which now i am pretty sure I can't have anyway.  It has coconut sugar in it. So I think I need to hide that one too.  At 3, it tends to be snack time around the office... Just need to quit that. 

This program is about breaking habits and making new ones right?

It most certainly is. My advice...empty the snack drawer. And yes no coconut sugar. 

First meal is important and understandably hard for some people. What I would advise is making a template sized first meal and eating as much of it as you can within an hour of waking making sure to visit all the groups (protein, veg, fat). Whatever is left save and eat as a mini meal later in the morning. Your body will eventually adjust. Just keep working at it.

Ok yesterday, my mood was better, my water made it to 100 ounces....  breakfast was once again lacking though.  I have such a horrible horrible time with breakfast and I am not sure what my mental block on it is.  I just don't want to eat it.  It was everything I could to choke down what I did.

Breakfast:  1 chicken garlic herb sausage from trader joe, carrot sticks, water

Lunch:Grilled chicken breast about 3/4's of it, on top of lettuce, carrots, tomato's, and guacamole.

Dinner:  Carnita's measured out to be about a palm full with jicama, lettuce, radish and onion slaw, little vinger and oil on it.

My sleep was a little sucky.  but I ate later then I wanted to... and the head ache was pounding. 

Ok yesterday, my mood was better, my water made it to 100 ounces....  breakfast was once again lacking though.  I have such a horrible horrible time with breakfast and I am not sure what my mental block on it is.  I just don't want to eat it.  It was everything I could to choke down what I did.

Breakfast:  1 chicken garlic herb sausage from trader joe, carrot sticks, water

Lunch:Grilled chicken breast about 3/4's of it, on top of lettuce, carrots, tomato's, and guacamole.

Dinner:  Carnita's measured out to be about a palm full with jicama, lettuce, radish and onion slaw, little vinger and oil on it.

My sleep was a little sucky.  but I ate later then I wanted to... and the head ache was pounding. 

Keep at it! I know this is rough for a lot of people but keeping trying to eat to the template and your body will respond. I'm seeing improvement so just keep moving forward!

No matter what I am counting yesterday as a win!  Yesterday was a truely crappy crappy day!  I got a $6000 bill for braces for my daughter.  The father of my children decided to be a jerk, as far as support.  And a ex boyfriend re broke my heart... But here is the win... I didn't eat.  I am a emotional eater, and no matter how much I wanted a Soda, or just a bowl of mashed potato's.  Or the rice that was made for the kids dinner last night I didn't eat it.  I did miss breakfast due to the kiddo's crack of dawn ortho appointment, and me not being used to making time for breakfast.  But I didn't binge, I didn't go off plan.  I just did it.  No matter how hard it was, I just did it. 

Water 100 ounces

Lunch:  a salad with cut up cherry tomato's, avacado, and a hand full of flaked tuna.  With Salt / Pepper and Franks Hot sauce (30 compliant)

Dinner: Small trimmed porkchop, steamed brocollic with ghee, and roasted carrots.

My sleep sucked but that is mor of a emotional factor then food or lack of caffiene.  I am chalking yesterdays headache up to emotions and stress also. 

Today's challenge is the fact that a co-worker is leaving and everywhere I turn in the office there is a donught, cake or cookie.  Wish me luck.

Breakfast: 2 eggs scrambled with ghee, spinach, and mushrooms.

Lunch: a palm full of carne asada meat with jicama, onion and carrot slaw.

Dinner:  I was starving come dinner time I had the meat off of 2 grilled chicken thighs (skin removed), broccoli with just a little of EVOO drizzled on it, and carrot sticks.

Water was about 90 ounces.

Ok so I avoided the cakes, cookies, and doughnuts at work.  I also declined the invitation to go to the bar after work to celebrate the co-workers last day.  I had done so well during the day I didn't want to push my luck.  Plus I had a backyard camp out planned with the kiddo's last night... So here is a little win... Ok so we are not stepping on the scale or checking measurements... but the sleeping bag that I sleep in is very form fitting... The last weekend in April we had a camp out and I had a minor melt down bc the sleeping bag did not fit like it had the previous year...it was nearly impossible...Last night I crawled in, got it positioned and zipped it right up.  It was even more comfortable then it was over the last 4th of July, the first time I had used this bag. My sleep was a little better last night then the night before, and I did fall to sleep with out the tv on... I didn't take the tv out to the tent. LOL.

You're getting there - nice mini-wins so far, and great job on the water!

Try adding another palm of meat to lunch and another egg at breakfast and see if that helps you feel not as starved by dinner.

Ok posting this before I relax for the evening as Sundays are CRAZY for me.  Such is the life of having a part time job at a church....  Nothing really in the win category, all though I survived a cook out at friends house and didn't join in the drinking, potato salad or bread... Even with my best friend kind of poking at me.

Breakfast:  2 eggs scrambled with ghee, red peppers, and roasted jalapeno's.

Lunch: cucumbers and radish salad dressed with lemon juice, chicken breast grilled no skin.

Dinner:  Tossed salad with mushrooms, strawberries, tomato's and cucumbers, palm size serving of tri-tip and a slice if grilled squash.

Water about 80 ounces... ok i have to say best part of today.. no head ache!  I have had purely water to drink since Monday.  No caffeine... and i might be on the down side of that addiction.  So many changes going on at once right now.. I am pretty proud of myself.  

Breakfast: 2 eggs with spinach and red peppers.

Lunch: grilled chicken thighs now skin 2, cucumber and onion slaw, water Mellon.

Dinner: spinach salad with green onion, chicken, vinigar and oil. Watermelon.

I am not feeling hungry and I am loving it.

Water 100,ounces. Last night of sleeping in the tent is this evening.

Breakfast: 2 eggs with spinach and red peppers.

Lunch: grilled chicken thighs now skin 2, cucumber and onion slaw, water Mellon.

Dinner: spinach salad with green onion, chicken, vinigar and oil. Watermelon.

I am not feeling hungry and I am loving it.

Water 100,ounces. Last night of sleeping in the tent is this evening.

Nothing big today other then some awesome game time with the kids, and I finally get to sleep in my bed tonight.

Water 90 ounces

Breakfast: two eggs scrambled with mushrooms peppers and chicken sausage. Topped with tomato's and jalapeños.

Lunch: tuna with onion, peppers and juiced lemon. Half of a apple, few cubes of water melon topped with tajin.

Dinner: small grilled lobster tail, sand dab sauteed in ghee, and tossed salad.

Wanted to of road a couple of times today, craving pizza.

Ok so here is the worry of the day... I am eating much less then I have, well probably ever.  I am just not hungry.  And I am not eating just to fill time.  so that is good.  Am I sending my body in to starvation mode?  A few days after my 30 ends I will be on vacation back home in indiana.  Armed with the making good decisions on eating.  But I will probably go out more then eat in, and there is chicago pizza in that future.  I don't want to gain a ton of weight while I am gone, and I am worried that I will.  Clothes are already starting to fit better, and I feel healthier.  But all the sudden today that popped into my head and started the worry.

Ok so here is the worry of the day... I am eating much less then I have, well probably ever.  I am just not hungry.  And I am not eating just to fill time.  so that is good.  Am I sending my body in to starvation mode?  A few days after my 30 ends I will be on vacation back home in indiana.  Armed with the making good decisions on eating.  But I will probably go out more then eat in, and there is chicago pizza in that future.  I don't want to gain a ton of weight while I am gone, and I am worried that I will.  Clothes are already starting to fit better, and I feel healthier.  But all the sudden today that popped into my head and started the worry.

This is where do careful controlled reintroductions helps a lot. After Whole30 you find out how your body reacts and then when things like Chicago Pizza come along you can ask yourself "Is it special?" and "Is it worth it?" and have confidence in the answers. Riding your own bike is about making choices every meal that will either make you more or less healthy and only you can answer those two questions. 

Ok so here is the worry of the day... I am eating much less then I have, well probably ever.  I am just not hungry.  And I am not eating just to fill time.  so that is good.  Am I sending my body in to starvation mode?  

Follow the food template and you can't go wrong!  

I have plenty of days when I am not hungry and eat to fuel my body.  Then there are days when I am really hungry and have to add a mini meal.  When I first started getting hungry again, I wasn't sure if I could trust what my body was telling me - had to ask myself if I could eat "fish and broccoli" many times :)  Thats when you know you are hungry!

Thank you so much for your words, and encouragement.  I know that after the whole 30 reintroduction is a interesting thing.  And I don't want to go back to old habits.  I just got totally sidetracked by this line of thought today. 

Nothing too much to report about yesterday other then I had GREAT sleep!!!!!!!!  And no headache again!

Breakfast:  Carrot sticks, watermelon, and a chicken sausage.  Breakfast is still very hard for me to get.  My brain is not fully agreeing with this eating really early thing yet.

Lunch:  Carne Asada, the grocery next to my work makes killer carne I grilled them on how they make it and it is 30 compliant so I don't have to make my own all the time now.  Jicama sliced thin and used like tortilla's, carrots and onions.

Dinner:  Roasted chicken thighs, mash cauliflower with ghee, carrot sticks, and a banana.

Carrots were on sale this week, can you tell?

Yesterday was totally not so good on the food front.  I didn't eat anythign off plan.  But I didn't really eat all that much.  I was giving blood yesterday which makes me unbelieveably nervouse so well nothing was staying in my stomach :(.  Finally around dinner last night everything stayed down.  But I didn't sleep well at all.  A friend kept pushing gator aide at me bc I kept vomiting.. but all i did was water.  Water stayed down at least.

Yesterday I was just feeling blah.. wasn't hungry but tried to  eat.

breakfast 1/2 chicken sausage sautee'd with green peppers, and watermellon

Lunch chicken leg and thigh, no skin and a tossed salad.

Dinner Grilled steak with cauliflower. 

None of these meals did i eat the full thing bc i just fell ick!  but this morning I have felt great so far, and already had a 3 egg scramble with peppers, onions, and homemade breakfast sausage.  Today will be a good day!

Archived