Day 20 and having intense cravings

The last few days I've been having really bad cravings for foods. Ice cream, peanut butter and Hunny sandwiches, enchaladas, hamburger and fries ugh it's been really intense and I've done everything I can try to sake it but it going on the 4 th day. I can't wait for this pregnancy to be done with 5 more weeks but I don't know if that will help any. Someone else have these issues?

I think you're being hit by a double whammy: just as your body needs the added nutrition during your pregnancy, at the same time you're hitting the bump that some people experience on the third week or so, where the brain tries to trick you to stop making all these changes and turn back to your old unhealthy food habits. The psychological bump normally fades in a few days, but your need for added nutrition may be affecting and extending it. 

My only suggestion is to feed the hunger, but not the cravings. Eat more: still compliant, but bigger meals, or smaller meals more often. And maybe more fat, since your body seems to be seeking it in the form of the junk food you are craving; I've read that sipping a can of coconut milk throughout the day has been helpful to other pregnant women. 

Good luck!

It sounds like you are living through an extinction burst - they can get pretty hairy. Glenn makes some excellent points above.  Now is to dig into comfort food mode a la whole 30 style - If you love meatloaf - do paleo style meat loaf (sub in almond flour or coconut flour in for bread crumbs), if you love asian food - go in for Nom Nom Paleo's Korean short ribs, or Wed Fed's Pad Thai - basically give yourself yummy comfort food - but in a healthy way.  This stage will pass.

My first whole 30 extinction burst was pretty intense - way more intense than any other cravings that I had previously.  I wanted cupcakes (I don't even like cupcakes - but I wanted them) It didn't help that every time I opened the fridge I came face to face with leftover birthday cake.  I even moved it to the back of the fridge so I didn't have to look at it.  Someone moved it back.  The darn thing haunted me for 4 days.

Thanks for the help :) I realized I was having to much sugars in my diet and that was triggering it to. I realized how sensitive my body is to sugars (even fruit) and now I'm going to have to really watch what I eat. I always read articles about how sugar made you crave things but it never really struck me until i experienced it. Sugar really gets a hold of ya!

Archived