Homemade Mayo

MsShopping

I made homemade mayo - 1 egg, 2 Tbl lemon juice, 1/2 tsp mustard, 1 1/4 c light olive oil.  Nothing fancy.  This has a very strong lemon taste.  Is this just me?  I'm starting to doubt myself and wondering if I put too much lemon juice in. 

I made the homemade mayo again and it came out good.  I must have used too much lemon juice before.  I used some of the mayo to make paleo ranch dressing.  I like eating the ranch with veggies.  I never was a huge ranch dressing before, but this is the first dressing I've found that I like.  If I eat a vinegar based dressing, I like it sweet. 

• 1 month later...

I started off using the same recipe as the OP, which I believe looks like Melissa Joulwan's recipe. I did not like the flavor of the lemon juice in it at all. It made it strangely bitter. I started using 2 Tbs. distilled white vinegar because I think it has a cleaner flavor that I prefer (I absolutely HATE ACV) I also use Chosen Foods avocado oil from costco instead of olive oil.

• 3 weeks later...

I have not yet made my own mayo, but think I need to figure that out soon. Do folks use eggs that have been paseturized?

I know some folks pasteurize their own eggs. I tried that, but I didn't feel confident. I don't really care if Hubby or I get sick (haha adults can suck it!), but I have very young kids so salmonella can be deadly. Even though I use eggs from our own chickens (free range, clean, healthy), I know as well as anyone that poop can sometimes get on an egg. It's just not a chance I want to take.

So I have actually started making my own mayo with pasteurized liquid egg whites from the supermarket (in the carton). They are free range and organic, but they are pasteurized. Note: this does NOT work with egg "substitutes," which contain funky ingredients. I use only pure egg whites.

My recipe: 3 tablespoons egg whites, 1 tablespoon acid, some mustard (I vary between dry ground and dijon), some salt, light olive oil. I put all the ingredients (except oil) into a wide-mouth pint jar, fill with oil until it reaches the 6 oz mark, then use the immersion blender method. Flawless mayo every time, plus pasteurized for my kids' safety. It does lack that 'fat' flavor from the yolk which I miss, but since I mostly use mayo for things like egg salad or tuna salad, it's not a big deal. Sometimes I toss in some spices (e.g. garlic salt) to mix things up.

• Moderators

There's an avocado based mayo that I used for a while when I flirted with AIP last year. This recipe provides the gist of it, and you can forego the tarragon and beet for a more universal recipe: http://aiplifestyle.com/tarragon-avocado-olive-oil-mayonnaise-on-beet-carpaccio/

But don't expect it to be like straight up mayo. Egg yolk is central to real mayo, but this works similarly without egg or seeds.

I know some folks pasteurize their own eggs. I tried that, but I didn't feel confident. I don't really care if Hubby or I get sick (haha adults can suck it!), but I have very young kids so salmonella can be deadly. Even though I use eggs from our own chickens (free range, clean, healthy), I know as well as anyone that poop can sometimes get on an egg. It's just not a chance I want to take.

So I have actually started making my own mayo with pasteurized liquid egg whites from the supermarket (in the carton). They are free range and organic, but they are pasteurized. Note: this does NOT work with egg "substitutes," which contain funky ingredients. I use only pure egg whites.

My recipe: 3 tablespoons egg whites, 1 tablespoon acid, some mustard (I vary between dry ground and dijon), some salt, light olive oil. I put all the ingredients (except oil) into a wide-mouth pint jar, fill with oil until it reaches the 6 oz mark, then use the immersion blender method. Flawless mayo every time, plus pasteurized for my kids' safety. It does lack that 'fat' flavor from the yolk which I miss, but since I mostly use mayo for things like egg salad or tuna salad, it's not a big deal. Sometimes I toss in some spices (e.g. garlic salt) to mix things up.

I've had salmonella and it's nothing to mess with...so I think I will either try to pasteurize or use your recipe. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I like mayo with one whole egg plus an extra yolk. (Sometimes, I get lucky and crack a double-yolked egg, not often, but it's such a happy surprise when it does occur!)  Makes the mayo a little firmer and it goes farther.  You can add less mayo when your using it as a base for dressings or other sauces.  We have tons of tomatoes ripening at the moment and the fresh tomatoes with a little schmear of the mayo some salt and pepper is unfathomably delicious!

Also, have experimented with fresh lemon juice, white wine vinegar and cider vinegar for the acid and honestly prefer the fresh lemon juice.  

Happy blending!

I'm starting my first whole 30 on the 1st of September. I just attempted my first batch on Mayo, with the Well Fed recipe (i.e. lemons). It didn't turn out :-( It was looking awesome and then it split and went runny. Based on the Well Fed blog I can still use it (after cooling it down), but it will be more like a dressing instead of mayo.

I find it quite lemony too. I used fresh lemons at the lemon juice concentrate I found contained sulphites which I don't think is Whole 30 Compliant? Is that right?

Will definitely give the vinegar a go with my next batch!

I love my immersion blender. Mayo in 30 seconds; no fail.

The batch I made yesterday: 1 whole egg, 1 yolk, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 1/2 Tbs. vinegar, a squirt of Dijon mustard, 1 1/2 cup light olive oil.

I ran out of avocado oil, so this batch was all olive. Very good, though.

I'm confident that the acid in the vinegar or lemon will make my mayo safe, but I often pasteruize my eggs; it's easy.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been adding a T each of dijon mustard(I found I like the taste better than mustard powder)  and ACV. then  after the mayo is done i fold a T of fresh lemon juice into it and sometimes 2T freeze dried chopped chives. it tastes fresh to me with none of the flavors really strong.

• 2 weeks later...

i just tried my first batch of mayo and it was terrible! the consistency come out nice, it was very stiff, but the flavor was terrible. i think my olive oil has gone rancid because all i could taste was stale oil. I might try again but maybe with a different oil.

i just tried my first batch of mayo and it was terrible! the consistency come out nice, it was very stiff, but the flavor was terrible. i think my olive oil has gone rancid because all i could taste was stale oil. I might try again but maybe with a different oil.

Did you use light tasting olive oil or extra virgin olive oil? It is possible that it is just rancid but if you used evoo it would also be much too strong. If you can find a light avocado oil (clear not green) I've enjoyed that very much.

Archived