Would this be SWYPO?

Haren.13

• Moderators

It might be. I'd say no, but I believe M&D decided that the bbq beef & sweet potato waffle in Well Fed 2 was SWYPO, this might go along the same route.

You know what's amazing as a substitute bun? Two grilled portabello mushrooms. Marinate them really briefly in a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar first, then grill. You'll need a bib it's so juicy -- and the flavors? You'll wonder who ever thought up dry, flavorless burger buns in the first place.

Another decent option is to cut a red bell pepper in halves or thirds (depending on its size). Marinate or simply grill and use as your "bun".

It might be. I'd say no, but I believe M&D decided that the bbq beef & sweet potato waffle in Well Fed 2 was SWYPO, this might go along the same route.

I think the issue there was the "waffle" part not the "bun" part. Too confusing if we were to say yes to a waffle and no to pancakes.

I don't think burgers really need "buns" at all, but I'm not going to say no to eating a beef patty with some shredded sweet potatoes.

Ya, I looked at the "waffle" recipe and figured the reason it was SWYPO was more the flours that you add to it to make it like a baked good.  We've eaten burgers by themselves or piled with grilled/sauteed veggies, but I liked being able to pick it up instead of cut with a fork and knife.

We definitely had other veggies on the side (the s. potatoes didn't take place of regular veggies).  Can't remember what we had for sure but I'm thinking it was roasted cauliflower.

I wish I liked mushrooms ~ the portabello idea is great.  I was a fairly adventurous veggie person already but I'm just not a fan of mushrooms.  Maybe I'll give them another try sometime. 

Haren, are you talking about the Well Fed 2 "waffle" recipe? No added flours in that one, it's just sweet potatoes, egg, salt, baking soda, cream of tartar.

It's unbelievable!  I think the reason it's a "no" on Whole30 is that the combination of ingredients and the waffle iron changes the texture of the sweet potato mixture and it becomes very bread-like.  

ultrarunnergir---  I tried the portabella mushroom "bun" I love it!  I only use one, though, I tried two and man, you have to open really big; and it is very messy.  I have not grilled mine, but that sounds fantastic...got to try it!

Archived