Groggy, irritable, want to kill all the things

I was told to post my menus here to see why I am depressed, irritable, moody and groggy in the morning. 

This morning I had a quarter of a frittata.  would be the equivilant of 3 eggs, kale, butternut squash and compliant bacon.  with a half an avocado. 

For lunch I had guacamole and carrots, brocolli soup two applegate hot dogs.

Last nights dinner was hash with ground beef, I think it was rutabaga, and onions, and a beet, and bacon and a handful of nuts.

lunch was salmon in lettuce cups with grilled veggies and avocado.  

Breakfast was a couple egg cups, but I was hungry and light headed, so I had a partial sweet potato topped with guac and a fried egg about an hour later.  

And coffee with coocnut cream from a can.  

Sunday for breakfast I made a hash with beets and greens and eggs and compiant bacon for breakfast, lunch was chicken and plantains and salsa and guacamole and dinner was sweet potatoes, pulled grass fed pork, with a homemade "bbq" sauce and....a veggie.  Oh slaw with homemade mayo.

Is this just par for the course?

I started May 5th.

I don't like sweets, I don't crave sweets.  I actually never feel hungry anymore.  But getting out of bed is a lot harder than it used to be.  And I'm super duper irritable.  

and go!

These all look pretty reasonable to me with the exception of the "couple of egg cups" which I'm not surprised you needed more food later from. Can you give us some further context? How are you sleeping? What is your activity level? What is your stress level? How were you eating before this? How do your protein serving sizes relate to the palm of your own hand (for eggs that is how many whole ones you can hold without dropping them)? Any other health issues?

I nurse a toddler. She is crazy high needs. I'm sleeping more now than before. I'll say that. Bout 8 hours. Not uninterrupted because of child. My stress level has actually recently decreased. I don't feel stress really. I like food. Or liked food. But not this food. I used to like watching food shows and cooking. But now I just try to make something we can all eat and fits the program.

No other health issues though.

And yes I've read that I could have a fourth meal if I'm nursing. I'm not hungry. Do I choke it down anyway?

I'm not exercising.

If you are nursing you really need to stick to the higher end of the template. You need a lot more food and energy to be able to nourish both of you. I don't know about the size of your hands but I have small hands and I usually eat 4 eggs every morning as a palm sized portion. Depending on how big of a change this is for you your hunger cues might not be entirely trustworthy yet. Obviously don't eat if you are stuffed, but 4 meals really isn't unreasonable for you.

I like food. Or liked food. But not this food.

If you don't like what you're eating, this could be contributing to how you're feeling. Maybe try switching up some recipes: different veg and/or protein options?

Are you staying sufficiently hydrated? Aim for drinking 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of your current body weight daily.

I've been eating pork chicken fish and beef. Hmmm. I think I might be disenheart end with this style of eating. It all feels like swypo.

Could you explain this statement more? Some context of how this is different from how you were eating before would help too. 

well, yeah I don't really like meat that much.  I'm fine with veggies.  ok, like something we would eat once in a while was chicken fried rice.  I would dice some chicken and cook that with a ton of veggies and fry it with rice and eggs.  It was mainly veggies, then chicken, then rice.  And yes, I've had cauliflower rice, but not the same.  

Or burgers.  I like burgers.  On a bun.  Not on lettuce, not on a mushroom, on a bun.  So, a burger with a fork and knife if a little, meh.

tonight we had chicken wrapped in bacon (compliant) with green beans and mashed turnips.  and some berries with coconut cream.  It was fine.  Nothing to write home about.

We had tacos weekly probably before.  Maybe pork tacos with picked onions, or korean beef tacos.  in a tortilla, usually with grilled veggies.  And no, a lettuce wrap is a pale substitution. 

I probably ate somewhat healthy dinners before, it was probably the breakfast and lunch that I had issues with.  Sometimes breakfast would be a piece of toast and lunch could be fast food.  

I know where you are coming from...I love a good bacon cheeseburger (horribly unhealthy) and there is no substitute in my mind that I can do on this plan and be happy, but what has helped me is to not try to substitute "swypo" foods and cook all new things. It is a bit more work and more planning but I have been cooking wonderfully flavorful meals that I've never had before so I have no unhealthy comparison to make. I love www.nomnompaleo.com ...her recipes are great and I've found more on pinterest.

I know where you are coming from...I love a good bacon cheeseburger (horribly unhealthy) and there is no substitute in my mind that I can do on this plan and be happy, but what has helped me is to not try to substitute "swypo" foods and cook all new things. It is a bit more work and more planning but I have been cooking wonderfully flavorful meals that I've never had before so I have no unhealthy comparison to make. I love www.nomnompaleo.com ...her recipes are great and I've found more on pinterest.

I would agree with this sentiment. NomNomPaleo and ClothesMakeTheGirl are excellent resources for breaking out of food slumps and both have excellent cookbooks on the market. Well Fed and Well Fed 2 are awesome!

well, yeah I don't really like meat that much.  I'm fine with veggies.  ok, like something we would eat once in a while was chicken fried rice.  I would dice some chicken and cook that with a ton of veggies and fry it with rice and eggs.  It was mainly veggies, then chicken, then rice.  And yes, I've had cauliflower rice, but not the same.  

Or burgers.  I like burgers.  On a bun.  Not on lettuce, not on a mushroom, on a bun.  So, a burger with a fork and knife if a little, meh.

tonight we had chicken wrapped in bacon (compliant) with green beans and mashed turnips.  and some berries with coconut cream.  It was fine.  Nothing to write home about.

We had tacos weekly probably before.  Maybe pork tacos with picked onions, or korean beef tacos.  in a tortilla, usually with grilled veggies.  And no, a lettuce wrap is a pale substitution. 

I probably ate somewhat healthy dinners before, it was probably the breakfast and lunch that I had issues with.  Sometimes breakfast would be a piece of toast and lunch could be fast food.  

This helps a lot. People who don't like meat very much do struggle more with this program. It took me a long time to get used to the volume but I never had a problem with eating it. Do you have the same aversions to eggs and seafood or just chicken, beef, and pork? One of the things I do for both interest and keeping nutrients balanced is vary my protein sources. I personally tend to have eggs every morning and one meal with beef or lamb and then the other is poultry, seafood, or pork. For you this might look different depending on what you can handle mentally. I agree cauliflower rice isn't anything like real rice so I just don't do it. I got used to the idea of bunless burgers long before I started eating Paleo but it took a while. I generally don't try to lettuce wrap things anymore because it is way too messy to be worth it. If you just can't wrap your head around previously hand held foods being eaten with knife and fork than just make different foods. 

SWYPO can mean different things to different people. The hard fast rules in the program about pancakes and such apply to the most common problems most people face. Generally those substitutions are not really that much healthier either. If you find things that are swypo in your own context then I would encourage you to put them out of your mind and meal plan.

Yeah it definitely sounds like your disenchanted with your food.  And nursing will take a lot out of you.  Having a lot of fat and protein in your diet will be especially important.  So yeah 2 eggs keeping you full - not so much.

I'm not sure if you are looking to lose weight I not, I suggest to go easy on the bacon.  It's easy to go overboard on this tasty condiment but go easy on it.  Nuts too will cause bloating and stomach discomfort for many.  I'm not saying to eliminate them - just keep these in mind.

I hear you on the burger bit.  And I don't do the cauli rice either for 2 reasons - 1) It's not rice! 2) I have stomach issues with especially cauli.  Spaghetti squash or zucchini noodles have become my new pasta/rice.  Are they pasta or rice?  No.  But they are a relatively bland vegetable that carries other flavours well. (Which is when you think about it - this is exactly what rice and pasta does)  SWYPO - naw not really.

What type of flavours do you like?  Southwestern, Spicy, Asian, Indian, European?  What is your favourite place to go out and eat?    Let's try to brainstorm and come up with some recipes based on what flavours you like. 

I also was never a meat person.  But vegetables?  No problem! I think the going overboard with the veggies kind of appealed to me.  Keep in mind that Melissa and Dallas Hartwig (the creators of the whole 30 and writer's of It's Starts with Food)both have vegetarian backgrounds.  (They write about it here http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/) But they understood that eating "this way" was healthier for them desipite texture issues. 

I guess what I mean by SWYPO is I haven't eaten anything that is as good as before.  

Like, if I wanted a yummy dinner, I would have a steak sandwich, which maybe blue cheese.  Even if I went out.  There is no I would ever order a plain steak unless I was at a steak house.  

If I made a pork roast, I'd probably make pulled pork sandiwches.  

Or any kinda of grilled cheese. Grilled cheese with buffalo chicken, caprese grilled cheese.

basically cheese and bread.  I like the flavor and the texture of bread.  and cheese.  I would always serve veggies with my food.  But I mostly eat those for the health benefits.  Not because I just absolutely love kale or something.  

So, there.  That's what I like to eat.  As far as flavors, I like all sorts of flavors.  Indian, Thai, Mexican, Italian.  But to me food is about more than flavor its about texture and composition as well.  Don't get me wrong, I'm seeing positives from the diet.  I just miss most food.

Okay.  You are talking to someone who used to love cheese (and pasta, and cookies, and ice cream) Unfortunately my love of dairy did not serve me well - at all!!!  So I had to properly mourn it, and say goodby.  That being said I still get cravings for that salty, smooth texture of cheese.  And I can see why bacon crops up a lot for you (it works as a cheese replacement!) what I also found that works is olives (I never ate olives before but now I love them!) and proscuito.  Some people even say avocado gives that feeling of cream cheese (I don't do avos, unfortunately)

Eating is pleasureable experience. At least it should be. People who say it's not are only kidding themselves.

Now you can make a compliant pulled pork recipe.  Just find whole 30 ways of enjoying it without the bun.  For me if I'm not going to have the bun, I'm just going to eat it by itself along with some veg. 

The clothes make the girl has an awesome buffalo chicken salad recipe (I know I had you until salad!) you could serve it over plantain chips if you want too.  It's pretty tasty.

I can't give you texture of bread unfortunately you're going to have to wait until for your 30 days to be up in order to try that one.

Have you checked out Nom Nom Paleo's website, or the clothes make the girl website's?  Chowstalker and Pinterest offers some good cooking ideas as well.  Moderator Tom has a blog with over 400 whole 30 compliant recipes (try his butter chicken recipe - really!!)

Texture and composition - yep - I get this.  I'll admit some of my food doesn't look always appetizing, but it always tastes pretty good.

Archived