8 Year Old Had a Breakthrough

RevKT

My son has not been thrilled with our Paleo eating. He has been gluten free for a year and as close to Paleo as we can get him for about four months. He understands it is technically healthier for you but he really hates to be "different." He has had two breakthroughs recently though.

At one point we started to allow him to have corn chips and taco shells. I noticed he was having emotional breakdowns, sobbing and crying and things like loosing a soccer game or a video game. This is not like him and I noticed it happened after eating corn products. So we took him off all corn for weeks and then went to a movie and he really wanted popcorn. We said he could have it but we would be watching for his moods. Sure enough two hours later he had a crying fit over going to a restaurant instead of going home. On his own he said "I don't think I should eat corn again."

Then this weekend he went to a sleep over and made his own choices, close to paleo. Hamburger (no bun), fruit, strawberry ice cream, eggs, bacon, and sausage. He came home, fell asleep for a few hours and woke up to explosive diarrhea. Poor kid! While all except the ice cream was Paleo, they were all processesed, not the homemade burger patties and sausage we make. Or the Whole 30 approved bacon we eat.

He said "Now I know why we eat Paleo. I don't want this to happen again."

I feel bad he had to learn that way, but it did allow him to make his own decision.

Now though he really wants to eat Paleo but doesn't like much of what we make and really wants more snack items like our homemade jerky. He has texture issues with food so finding things he can eat is hard. I just want us to help him feel good about his decision. Anyone have more kid friendly ideas?

I have the cookbook "Eat Like A Dinosaur" at home for the kids and its great! It has kid friendly recipies (not all of which are Whole30 compliant) and many dessert/treat ideas. I let my girls (5 and 7) look though and pick out recipes to try. We have made a few items so far they have been a hit. My youngest is resisting Paleo as she love mac-n-cheese but I am happy to make new things for her to try as long as she tries them. The cookbook also has a childrens story in it that is very good to help our young ones understand that eating "like a dinosuar" is different but still OK.

Good Luck!

I have the cookbook "Eat Like A Dinosaur" at home for the kids and its great! It has kid friendly recipies (not all of which are Whole30 compliant) and many dessert/treat ideas. I let my girls (5 and 7) look though and pick out recipes to try. We have made a few items so far they have been a hit. My youngest is resisting Paleo as she love mac-n-cheese but I am happy to make new things for her to try as long as she tries them. The cookbook also has a childrens story in it that is very good to help our young ones understand that eating "like a dinosuar" is different but still OK.

Good Luck!

Glad to hear you like Eat Like A Dinasaure because I just ordered that book from Amazon over the weekend. Hoping to flip through it with my kids and together find something new to try. They are far from Paleo, but they like most healthy foods and understand why I am encouraging more frequent healthy choices for them. the more Paleo foods they learn to like, the less of the other junk they have.

I was just going to say to get "Eat Like a Dinosaur." That's a great one with lots of kid-friendly foods.

And, I wouldn't feel too bad for him that he learned the way he did. That's a powerful tool he has, knowing his own body. That's very impressive!

I just want to chime in with my personal (not Whole9's official) opinion on Eat Like a Dinosaur:

I think the idea of transitioning kids to this way of eating using familiar foods/food concepts is great. Especially for older kids. There are some amazing looking recipes in the book and I love that it encourages families to get in the kitchen together.

That said...

I think there comes a point in time where we have to begin to teach our kids that real food doesn't look like chicken nuggets and that chocolate chip cookies are not a good habit to have, paleo or not.

Do I make paleofied treats with my kiddos - heck yeah! We made some chunky monkey ice cream yesterday that is out of this world (coconut milk, bananas, cocoa powder and a few chocolate chips). But my kids don't understand much of the difference between our ice cream and the ice cream at Braums. They know it doesn't have dairy and it doesn't have yucky sugar. But they still have the same mental relationship with it that they do with "real" ice cream.

I think Eat Like a Dinosaur is a really powerful tool for parents as they make this transition, but I think we have to be careful not to use these tools as crutches later on.

Excuse me while I step off my soapbox ;0)

Robin - soapboxes happen and are most welcome! ;)

I totally understand and see the Eating like a Dino book as a way to help transition my family (hubby included) into eatng paleo. It has lots of new ideas and good compromises (for lack of a better word) and I see its usefulness in helping my mac-n-cheese child find some healthier, yet yummy to her tastebuds too. I may not have shown my kids that chicken nuggets aren't what food looks like (yet), but I showed them that chicken nuggets don't have to come from a box in the freezer, and thats a start! I'm just starting this journey and so is my family, they just don't know it yet... :ph34r:

We made some chunky monkey ice cream yesterday that is out of this world (coconut milk, bananas, cocoa powder and a few chocolate chips).

I don't have kids and have no intelligent input on the subject -although I find children's perspectives on the journey fascinating and your child very insightful.

I just had to interuot to ask Robin for that recipe for AFTER Whole 30.. And feel free to wait 17 more days so I don't dream of it in the mean time!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived