Simple explanation for restaurant / wait staff?

kdethomas

I'm heading out on my first trip with the family next week (from Vancouver, BC to Seattle, WA) and am concerned about restaurant eating to make sure that I'm not having to start over due to a restaurant mishap (I'll be on day 11 when we head out).

I have one planned dinner reservation - all other meals / restaurants will be decided upon on the fly.

Does anyone have a simple explanation for wait staff at restaurants to help make sure you get a whole30 compliant meal?  I plan on calling ahead for the reservation I have but want to be ready on the fly and being a newbie I'm nervous about not explaining everything in a clear concise way.

I've read through the other topics in the forum and like the suggestion of telling the wait staff what I can't have and seeing if the chef can make something for me but am nervous about forgetting something in my explanation.  Not exactly the word smith over here :)

Anyone have something they can share?

Thanks in advance!

I've found it useful to check their menus online in advance (if possible) and see what they have that might be compliant. Then at the restaurant, I ask the wait staff (or better yet, go to the back and ask the cook) what the ingredients are for so-and-so menu item. If they're all compliant, then I'm good to go. If there's one or two ingredients that are not compliant, I can ask if the cook can omit those ingredients. If it's not at all possible to make the dish compliant, on to item no. 2.

I try to check the menu online, or call ahead to the resturant to speak with the staff, giving them my restrictions and asking what would be best to order.  This way, I can ask questions and receive answers without making a production during ordering time - or having to explain to everyone that I am dining with why I have restrictions.

My fall back in an unplanned/ unknown resturant is to ask for steak (or chicken or fish) plain grilled (no seasoning) with steamed veg and a baked sweet potato plain.  I also ask what kind of oil they use on the grill to make sure it doesn't have soy in it.  If the oil/spray for the grill is noncompliant I ask for a piece of steamed fish, plain.

This has never led me wrong, even in a chinese food resturant!

I ate at a Mexican place last night & asked the waiter if the salsa had sugar in it. His response, "sugar? in the salsa? It shouldn't."  I said I know it shouldn't but it might. Needless to say I had no salsa! I ordered fajitas and just ate the meat and veggies. I asked them not to cook it with butter. I asked for guacamole on the side. The waiter told me they put sour sour cream in the guacamole! I told him never mind then... and he had the kitchen make me a fresh bowl of it with no sour cream!  My friend had chips, 2 beers and a big burrito. Afterward she said her stomach felt yucky... and I felt great :)

Archived