Starting Tuesday, May 27th

heidilc717

Guess what I walked into a work today…  2 homemade cheesecakes! Homemade brown butter chocolate chip cookies!  AND AND AND dozens of fresh bagels and cream cheese!

SERIOUSLY PEOPLE!?!

If god asked me what food I wanted in heaven, I would say bread, cheese, and sweets!!

Boo.

All of these things are a mere foot from my desk.  I've been smelling them all day.  All I can think about is how I'm the fat, sick girl, who can't eat like everybody else!  : (  

BUT I HAVEN'T CHEATED!!

I ate my eggs, chicken, salad, and sweet potatoes. I drank my green smoothie and coffee with coconut milk.  

Maybe one day I can indulge a little, but not today.  TODAY I CAN SAY NO!!

OH MAN!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guess what I walked into a work today…  2 homemade cheesecakes! Homemade brown butter chocolate chip cookies!  AND AND AND dozens of fresh bagels and cream cheese!

SERIOUSLY PEOPLE!?!

If god asked me what food I wanted in heaven, I would say bread, cheese, and sweets!!

Boo.

All of these things are a mere foot from my desk.  I've been smelling them all day.  All I can think about is how I'm the fat, sick girl, who can't eat like everybody else!  : (  

BUT I HAVEN'T CHEATED!!

I ate my eggs, chicken, salad, and sweet potatoes. I drank my green smoothie and coffee with coconut milk.  

Maybe one day I can indulge a little, but not today.  TODAY I CAN SAY NO!!

OH MAN!

Way to skip the cheesecake and cookies!

Side note: smoothies are discouraged on a Whole30. The idea is to chew your food instead of drink it, as chewing is more satiating.

Seems like quite a few were bored with food choices, I was as well. I definitely underestimated the amount of fresh produce I would be consuming!

On a good note-I too, was able to look at the pie, cakes, muffins and cookies at work and not be tempted!

I'm really looking forward to continuing this way of eating. I do not miss feeling bloated and foggy after eating wheat!

Day 11 is in the bag! :)

Rkrzywda, I'm glad you made it through the day on track and with a good perspective!

I passed up several opportunities to eat the wrong things today and stayed strong, so I'm pretty proud of myself for that! We planned on watching a movie tonight and usually I would have grabbed a Pepsi and a candy bar of some kind from our little concessions stand. Instead, I planned ahead and made the energy date balls that was featured on @whole30recipes' Instagram by @tara_eats_whole. I added some unsweetened cocoa and they were yummy! Tall glass of ice water and one of those and I didn't feel deprived one bit.

I got my groceries for my food prep day tomorrow. A couple new things to try and a couple of older favorites from last week. I'm planning on being better prepped this week than I was this past week, since I think it's been key to my successs.

I'm grateful for all of your posts, they're absolutely another factor to staying motivated! Thank you for being willing to share with us all!

Hello all,

Day 12- we made it this far and things are only looking brighter!! 

Good job to all those staving off temptation!!!

Yesterday I finally started feeling more energy at the gym- hopefully that continues in today's spin class (I am new to spin).

Is anyone else using a FitBit flex? This supposedly tracks sleep, but I am not entirely convinced as it still says my sleep restless, e.g. 16 times restless last night! But, I feel good.

Going to do some grocery shopping  and prep today and I have nomnompaleo's pork shoulder in the slow cooker nearly done - nom nom!

Happy Saturday to all!

Not gonna lie, it was really tough... especially when DD asked me to carry her popcorn and it was inches from my face, where I would normally just flick out my tongue to grab a piece (I am not the only one who does that, am I?! errrr...) but I stuck to it!! I really think it would have been easier to cheat had I not had this forum to come "report in" to.

I finally have those chicken breasts in the crockpot topped with artichoke hearts. I've been craving artichokes lately. I have a ton of squash to use of from the CSA and I think I will sautee it up to go with it. Tomorrow night I am thinking stuffed patty pan, with a beef, squash innards and maybe tomato sauce inside. I only have 3, which will technically serve 6, but I promise you some of the kids will turn their noses up to the squash shells, but will eat the extra "stuffing", so its ok.

My hubby made some peach preserves (loads of organic sugar) yesterday, first time canning ever. Its not an issue for me, cause I don't particularly like peaches or preserves, really. BUT I am thinking of using some to make popsicles for the kids. I have some molds to use. Maybe try some coconut milk ones for us. Peaches and cream doesn't sound bad, though. I have a peach tree that is literally drooping with peaches, so *I* am going to try and get in there today and can some "no sugar added" style. Our peaches are surprisingly sweet this year, so I think they'd be good. Anyone ever canned peaches this way?

Happy Day 12 everyone! We are getting there!

Oh, yeswehave8, I thought about going to the movies this weekend but decided against it because the popcorn would be such a temptation! Well done! :). I've thought about taking the leftover fruit at the end of the week, puréeing it all together and putting into Popsicle forms. With this hot weather we're having, I want an occasional cool treat that's whole30 compliant!

On a happy note, this morning, when I put on my yoga clothes, I put on a new top that I had bought before this challenge and had only worn once, because I felt like I looked like a sausage in it. I was very happily surprised to see that my torso was a LOT less sausage like and I would almost feel comfortable wearing this top in public! I really do feel like I've lost a lot around my middle so that's exciting!

Today is my prep day so I'll be brining and steaming and baking away today! Happy Day 12! :)

Woke up feeling better this morning - both physically and mentally! After resting yesterday and doing some food prep I feel better able to handle stressful situations at work. I know that I need to have mini meals with me for 'snacks' when I have to stay late and won't be eating supper until after 9 or 10 pm. Just too long to wait.

ERD2481, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed with all the food prep and choices too, so I kept it simple yesterday and had burgers w/o bun and a green salad for supper. Just needed some time off from all this new found creativity with my food.

ithinkicanithinkican, my work peeps are constantly bringing food and snacks! Ahhhhhhh!!! My new mantra is that one quote from ISWF that this is not special! I am a big girl and could stop at ANY store, bakery, etc on ANY given day and buy those things! Just because it's there does NOT make it special! Special is something you could only get on certain occasions....like your mothers baked goods that she makes once a year for Christmas! (Of course this is not the exact quote, but is the essence of it). I just keep repeating to myself "those are not special, those are not special, those....." It works! Sounds like you fought it off pretty darn well, too!

Made it through another cookout! I think my final big challenges will come next weekend with back to back kid's birthday parties! Of course there are little challenges all along the way. Really wishing I could find some compliant sausage for some variety. Going to look into this nomnom pork. Also need to roast some veggies to keep on hand again. Raw is good, but roasted are so yummy!

So, I have ask... Am I the only one who's already thinking about the end and what you'll eat first? I know I'm going to try not to splurge, but thinking about a good way to make sure I learn something from all this and determine where my true sensitivities lie. Some of it may be out of my control, since I won't be at home...

LindyJules, the end is scaring me. I do well with rules. I was not a true paleo eater before I started W30. I was more Atkins. Still low carb (very low carb including veggies and fruit) so I am worried about that change. I haven't been counting carbs like before and still seem to be losing inches. I am eating a daily mountain of vegetables - even ones I wouldn't have considered 13 days ago like sweet potatoes. And I'm eating fruit for the first time in a very long time - but keeping to the lower glycemic ones like berries. I am enjoying it and almost feel like I can have more foods than I was eating before. But I am missing my cheese! I might reintroduce that first and see how I do. Will try not to gorge on junk. I am feeling too good right now to ruin it!

I was debating between cheese and wine to break the "anti-fast". Perhaps it makes more sense to start with something I haven't been missing as much, to avoid overindulging. I am also considering a SWYPO recipe, instead of jumping immediately into banned foods. I guess I'm likely to feel different 2 weeks from now, so maybe better off waiting to plan this... Shopping done. Tomorrow's plan:

-cut up fruits and veggies for raw consumption

-get pork butt trimmed, seasoned and into the crock pot

-make sweet potato hash

-make compliant BBQ sauce for pulled pork later

-make breakfast casserole for the week (going to try the one with shredded turnips... A little nervous about them)

On to day 13 (right? Losing track of days...)

Happy preparation day, everyone!

You all are super! Super strong, super supportive, and I'm so glad to have started this with a group like all of you! Sometimes I just pop on to read comments , when I have time to write I'm usually on my phone and typing frustrates me, like keyboard better:) ithinkicanithinkican this will become 90% of my eating I have not decided exactly what I'm willing to live without but each day it becomes clearer I would love a thread as we move closer to the end. Rkrzywda you can do it I'm alone on this at home and with my friends, but I'm in this for me and it's only 30 days! I don't say this because it's easy I was ready to cheat and not tell but who am I cheating is me. Hang in there we are STRONG! I don't know what day we are 11? 12? Can it be 29? :/

So, I have ask... Am I the only one who's already thinking about the end and what you'll eat first? I know I'm going to try not to splurge, but thinking about a good way to make sure I learn something from all this and determine where my true sensitivities lie. Some of it may be out of my control, since I won't be at home...

I'm thinking about the end.... Do I continue? I'd like my body to change more( like results so far) what can I give up ? I do know my choices will be more thought out. Reading labels has made me realized that I eat way more sugar than I thought I did( not a huge sweet tooth) I do miss cheese and bread and rice, so much to think about as we move closer to the end

I will also be out of town the weekend after the 30 days. I'm going to try to bring some quick meals to stay mostly on plan, but I will probably off-road a tad and then go back for another Whole30 starting that Monday. I'm feeling too good to go back to my old way of eating!!

I would love to continue beyond 30 days. As others have said, I do well with rules. Horrible without them. I want to continue on at least another 30, but I may add a small amount of dairy. This feels too good. It's working so well. I can't go back. I'm so afraid that I will...

I need to check the timeline posted earlier, but I wonder if this is typical at this stage of the game, to be thinking about continuing? Because I was telling my husband yesterday that I was contemplating a whole60! I am just starting to really feel the positive effects of this whole30 thing and I'm not sure I want to stop or reverse the progress I've made. But then I realized that my birthday is next month and I wanted more than a pineapple for a cake! ;-) .

Do you guys all have It Starts With Food? There's a chapter in there about reintroduction of foods in 3-day increments and then another about long-term strategies. It's probably on the site somewhere too. But it talks about making conscious decisions instead of just putting something in your mouth because it's there.

I was SO addicted to sugar (see reference to cake above!), I'm worried about falling back into the same patterns as before. I DO like prepping for the week and having good food choices with me at work, instead of going to the vending machine when I'm feeling peckish or wondering which fast food I'm picking for lunch, so I'm planning on continuing that habit, even if it's just for work, since that's where I seem to make my worst choices. For me, being prepared is key, and something I can still commit to doing, even if I choose to indulge once in a while. What new habits have you created that you would be willing to continue?

Happy Day 13 everyone! :)

I'm thinking about the end.... Do I continue? I'd like my body to change more( like results so far) what can I give up ? I do know my choices will be more thought out. Reading labels has made me realized that I eat way more sugar than I thought I did( not a huge sweet tooth) I do miss cheese and bread and rice, so much to think about as we move closer to the end

I've been thinking about the end as well Im scared that if I introduce things right away i'll make myself ill or something, I guess I should do some more reading.

Hello there,

I have also been thinking about continuing as I really have some fitness goals (haven't seen that tiger blood yet, but need to play with my pre workout meal as finding meat too heavy). I am going to see my husband in Peru the day after we finish 30...the food is really great there....so I may take the weekend off and begin again July 1. I won't go out of control there though!

Heidilc - just started getting into.loose leaf tea.... that is a new habit I am going to try to make in the evening (herbal...).

Day 13 went really well. Going to try a lemon and artichoke chicken in slow cooker and this morning before the gym I prepared Italian sausage and eggplant strata from the first Wellfed. Cannot wait to eat it...letting it rest as recommended!

I had a food dream last night in that I 'accidentally' ate some corn tortillas and so messed up; however when my colleagues tried to convince me to go to the pub for a few as I had messed up anyway, I said no as didn't want to completely blow it. Dreams......!

Hope everyone had a great 13th day!

Umm… has anyone else gone through or is anyone is going through an angry phase? I'm never, ever an angry person, but today, I'm just pissed! But, maybe sad, too.  Like I just kinda feel like yelling at the world and then bursting into tears. Ha. I'm checking calendar to see if it's hormones.  That doesn't seem to be it.  I'm not feeling terrible food cravings.  I'm just sad.

Hello ithinkican - at times I'm a little testy, e.g. when something takes me longer than I want, like arranging a pillow behind me...but that's normal isn't it? lol. To others I am not angry or sad. It may still just be hormones sorting themselves out - good food in stabilizes hormones to some extent as far as I understand! Good luck!

Hello all, still here and still going strong! Today has been a day full of cravings...I mean reall strong feelings of sweet foods! Everything is so tempting! Aaaaagggghhh I'm a mess! But I will plug along and continue on! On a different note I FEEL AMAZING!! My hands don't hurt, I can tell just by looking in the mirror that I'm shrinking, my energy is awesome! I feel like a whole new person, with cravings. Cheers!

Archived