Starting Tuesday, May 27th

heidilc717

Did really well today despite it being my birthday AND Father's Day! The cake didn't tempt me, neither did the BBQ ribs, BBQ chicken, fish soaked in butter, beans cooked in butter, potato salad, garlic bread (ouch), and coleslaw with sugar in it! Dessert, dessert, and more dessert! I brought all my own food. A big salad to share with homemade dressing and a few hamburger patties with paleo mayo. I even brought my coconut milk so I could enjoy a cup of coffee after lunch. All in all I feel good about the day. I would say I was under prepared. I would have brought more food in hindsight. I thought I would at least be able to eat the veggies there. Oh well. I wasn't hungry and I wasn't tempted. My sister even tried to force a piece of frosting in my mouth.

On another note, I made mayo using the immersion blender just putting all the ingredients in the container at once. It turned out GREAT! Better than my first attempt using the drizzle method with my food processor. Will do it this way from now on.

Hope everyone had a good day! And Happy Father's Day to all the dads in our group!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checking in to say I'm still here! Happy day 21(ish), y'all! I'm doing fine on the food (more than ready to be able to eat out easily, though), but still struggling on the sleep. Hopefully this next week I can get that settled down.

Happy Birthday, Grannie D!! 

Well friends, I off-roaded.  We were out and about yesterday for Father's Day and ended up at Subway.  I could have had a salad with no dressing - but somehow "6 inch Turkey with no cheese - toasted"  came out of my mouth.  I then snarfed that sandwich.  Temporary insanity, I guess.  I am defintiely continuing on but am no longer at the same place in this journey with the rest of you.  :(   I haven't decided if I want to call today "Day 1" or want to just move forward with the Paleo lifestyle, recognizing that once in a while I may have something off plan...

colleenb thanks for sharing your experience. You are not alone. Going to the US Open yesterday derailed me as well. I've thought about it alot and have decided to learn from it and share my experience with you guys since you have been so supportive.

Challenges with this event:

--You can not bring ANYTHING into the event. Not exaggerating here. There are very few allowed items. I ate a compliant breakfast and snacked a little before we got there to avoid hunger issues.

--It was super duper hot. I felt lightheaded 30 minutes after we got there and knew I needed more than water. From the available options of cookies, pretzels, etc I chose a granola bar :(

--The lunch choices at the concession line were completely picked over. I ate a cheeseburger because we literally grabbed the first and only thing that was available. I did not want the bun, but to be honest I felt like I needed as many calories as I could get to avoid passing out from the walking and the heat (I work out all the time and this kicked my butt!). 

--On the way home, we stopped for ice cream. There is nothing I can say about this except it was a choice I made. 

What I learned:

--I'm not ready. I'm not ready for the 30 days to be over. I'm not ready to start eating things that may lead to other choices i.e. sugar dragon. 

--It sucks to not have any options. Thinking back I could have gotten some nuts or a larabar into my pocket. I could have taken the chance on passing out and not had the cheeseburger (joking), but there was literally nothing else available and we had already waited too long to eat to begin with.

--Lastly, I really like this way of eating. Part of accepting that this may work for me long term is knowing that there will be days when it won't all come together. But that should not be a reason to stop. It's just life. 

I'm back on plan today and feel great. I'm planning to keep this up through next week and what would have been day 30. After that I am going to finish my vacation sensibly, then come on home and get right back on the plan. I guess I could start another whole 30. Who knows. 

Happy Birthday Grannie D! 

I'm still here and plugging along.  Spent Friday night at a hotel with an amazing European bakery that I couldn't even go inside because it smelled tempting enough from the outside, but I managed to abstain.  That was tough.

Colleenb and quinnsmom, life just happens sometimes and I like the way you both are looking at it!

Happy Birthday Grannie D! 50 is the new 30?(lets just say it is) ;) I'll be there in 20days!

colleenb & quinnsmom sorry to hear of the derailment, but i feel we all have learned something about ourselves & our relationship with food. Whatever you decide from here im sure will be good :) dont give up, one day at a time!

I still question what to do after day 30, i feel good, and want to continue something to help me lose weight and become healthier than the way I was before Whole30. The rules do seem to help me stay focused & the count down helps knowing there is an end(to what i have yet to answer) & also as an acomplishment.

Day 21 is nearing the end.... Thank you all for being here :rolleyes:

Colleenb and quinnsmom, I agree with the last statement. This is not a failure by any means. Think of all you have learned thus far and make your next move accordingly. I have appreciated your input here on this forum.

Colleen, happy birthday!

Hi all -

I've given a lot of thought to my post Whole 30 life and eating habits.

Here's my plan:

NO GRAINS (with rare exception of rice every now and then)

NO DAIRY (with rare exception of full fat, organic, goat over cow dairy)

NO SUGAR (with rare exception of honey or maple syrup)

NO LEGUMES, INCLUDING SOY

NO VEGETABLE OILS

Basically, anything that's INFLAMMATORY!

My incentive so far…. greatly reduced pain!  And, I went to the doctor, and have lost 10lbs! I'm thinking of this way of eating as a way life.  Something really special has to be happening to deter me… maybe my birthday? But even then, there are plenty of ways to celebrate that don't enough bad food.  You can make a delicious cake with almond meal!  I just think the pay off is too great to go back!  

I explain this to friends and family very simply… I eat plants and animals, as well as some nuts and seeds.  I don't say NO THIS, NO THAT.  It an important shift my mind and theirs, too.  And, I recommend totally spoiling yourself with new cookbooks, spices, kitchen tools, etc.  

That's my take today!  May need someone to talk me off the food ledge tomorrow.  One day at a time, folks! : )

xoxo

Hey all! Happy birthday GrannieD! You are better at this than I. As I begin to plan for my next Whole 30 (what, am I crazy???), I am trying to avoid my birthday, the kid's birthdays, the holidays... I managed to keep it together through some other children's birthday parties, but I don't think I could do it with my own. Too many of our favorites all in one place. I do think I'll be better at planning these, though. I'll make sure there are more healthy options and be able to eat in moderation the stuff that's really bad for you.

Speaking of which, the search for bacon was well worth it! Those burgers were delicious! So glad I have 3 left! I think that I could eat something like that instead of straight bacon and end up consuming a lot less of the bacon in the end. That has GOT to be better than eating the quantity I do when we cook it up for the house!

Also, not sure who mentioned it first, but I tried the spaghetti squash with marinara and sausage, too. I'm not sure I could eat it all the time , but maybe with the leftover sauce from now on... I pack my usual sauce with veggies, so with the squash as an option, it very nearly becomes a health food!

Off to bed! Not well prepared for tomorrow, so getting up early. Think about where you were 3 weeks ago today! Wow!

Always look forward with the wisdom of yesterday in your ear. It is not a failure if you learn from it! I've been there!

I agree 100%.

if I hadn't made all the mistakes........scratch that.......I'm going to call them "choices".......if I hadn't made all the choices I've made in the past 11 months, I wouldn't be where I am today physically and emotionally.  And I'm very happy with where I am.  :)

This a such a great group - thank you for your support.  I've been clean since "The Incident" and trying not to beat myself up about it.  I feel I have gained a lot from this experience, all is certainly not lost.  I'm off Diet Pepsi and have come a long way in regards to taming the Sugar Dragon.  I know that I've lost some weight and feel good, better than before.  Eating this way is doing good things for me.  I want to continue through the thirty days, working on my new eating habits and do another Whole 30 in the near future.  I want to still check in with you guys and get inspired!!  :)

Yes, unfortunately, I am a binge eater.  I have completed two successful whole30s.  At the end of my January Whole30 I had reached my goal weight, which was thrilling.

For about a day.

I fail at reintroduction every time.  Give me a little bit of freedom, and I binge eat.  I packed 15 lbs right back on from February to June.

So truthfully I don't remember what specifically I cheated with.  A piece of cake?  A cookie?  But once I did, I binge ate carbohydrates throught the weekend.  I eat them knowing I feel like crap afterwards.

I feel wonderful when I am doing Whole30.  I have destructive eating patterns when I am not.  So I haunt these boards monthly, as just tagging along helps me stay compliant.  There is no in-between for me, unfortunately.  So I guess in that regard, even two successful Whole30s has not "changed my relationship with food."  I can say it has dramatically improved my relationship with food, but the destructive tendancies still exist.

Guys thanks so much for the support. I really appreciate it! I have absolutely learned from the derailment, more things than I could have ever expected actually. So I will look at that as a gift to myself. How's that for turning it around?

I'm definitely following everyone until the end and cannot wait to hear the success stories. We've heard so many already which has been so inspiring.

drtracyb I appreciate your honesty about reintroduction. This is what I was alluding to when I said I wasn't ready for this to be over. I wish you luck this go round. 

Congrats ithinkicanithinkican on the weight loss! I like your plan for the future.

colleenb I agree with your assessment, eating this way is doing good things for me too!

And GrannieD-- HAPPY BIRTHDAY to you! 

snowflower, thank you. Long term perspective is so important.

I need rules! I'm an all or nothing girl. I get it. I've done one successful Whole 30 followed up with going right back to where I was before it, then a While 30 dropout on day 15. This time is different. Because I plan not to go back. I will add some dairy and occasional beans. But I can't go back to sugar and grains. I'm not ready for that. I think I need at least a year of rehab for that. Why would I reintroduce grains? I can't think of a good reason other than convenience and flavor - wrong reasons to eat that for me. I love this group. Your honesty makes me look at myself full force and pushes me on. Thank you! So people can stare at me as I have meat sauce over salad. Who cares?

I need rules! I'm an all or nothing girl. I get it. I've done one successful Whole 30 followed up with going right back to where I was before it, then a While 30 dropout on day 15. This time is different. Because I plan not to go back. I will add some dairy and occasional beans. But I can't go back to sugar and grains. I'm not ready for that. I think I need at least a year of rehab for that. Why would I reintroduce grains? I can't think of a good reason other than convenience and flavor - wrong reasons to eat that for me. I love this group. Your honesty makes me look at myself full force and pushes me on. Thank you! So people can stare at me as I have meat sauce over salad. Who cares?

Super attitude! Love it!

Yes, unfortunately, I am a binge eater.  I have completed two successful whole30s.  At the end of my January Whole30 I had reached my goal weight, which was thrilling.

For about a day.

I fail at reintroduction every time.  Give me a little bit of freedom, and I binge eat.  I packed 15 lbs right back on from February to June.

So truthfully I don't remember what specifically I cheated with.  A piece of cake?  A cookie?  But once I did, I binge ate carbohydrates throught the weekend.  I eat them knowing I feel like crap afterwards.

I feel wonderful when I am doing Whole30.  I have destructive eating patterns when I am not.  So I haunt these boards monthly, as just tagging along helps me stay compliant.  There is no in-between for me, unfortunately.  So I guess in that regard, even two successful Whole30s has not "changed my relationship with food."  I can say it has dramatically improved my relationship with food, but the destructive tendancies still exist.

Ok everyone, for most of us, the end is in sight!!  9 (+/-) more days left!  Roll call for all of you still here and Whole30-ing along!

I go back and forth between wanting to keep going on this same way of eating forever and dreaming about what I want first after the 30 days are up! 

I'm still formulating my plan for the future but here are some of the things I'm willing to commit to:

• --I'm going to re-introduce things carefully as recommended
  • --Keep a prep day to prepare food, especially for my lunches for work because that seems to be where I make the worst choices
  • --Before I put ANYTHING in my mouth, evaluate if I really want it and how it will make me feel.
  • --Do another Whole30 in a few months, maybe 3-4 times a year if I get really ambitious.  ;)

I'm not really a binge eater, although every 28 days I crave sweet, salty and caffeine all at the same time, so that's as close as I get, so I'm not worried too much about that, but I think the issue for me is not being prepared, and I now know I can fix that.

Still here! I really didn't think I'd make it this far! This past week has presented with some food challenges (pizza!) But I was able to pass it up because I wasn't really hungry, and I knew that it would make me feel terrible after.

After 30 days is up I plan to continue to eat on plan, with the exception of an occasional off-road. I know that I will still avoid grains and sugar. I hope that I can reintroduce a little bit of cheese, and maybe dome peanut butter.

Once again, I love this forum!!

I'm still here!

For me, this has been a great reset and reminder that there are things that I really don't miss if I don't have them. So I'll probably do what I was doing for the last 8 months or so, but more focused: almost entirely Whole30 when I cook at home (I don't worry too much about, say, a little sugar in sausage or something, and I'll probably just use grassfed butter instead of clarifying it), with some leeway for eating out and special occasions. I'm hoping to keep that more on the dairy side than the grain side. I do want to do the reintros more carefully than I have before; I'm not totally sure what that will look like yet. Maybe one day each for corn/tortilla chips, rice, gluten, cheese, sugar? Maybe goat cheese and cow cheese separately. (I already know that milk messes with my stomach a little - nothing to keep me from a very occasional latte at my favorite coffee shop, or quality ice cream, but enough to make sure it'll be worth it!) Other things - legumes, soy - I don't have often enough to really warrant a reintro day, so I'll just pay close attention whenever I do have them next, I think.

heidi - the prep day is KEY and it's awesome that you're going to stick to that! I couldn't eat like this if I didn't do it. Actually I did it even before I went to paleo - one afternoon in the kitchen saves so much time for me during the week!!

Hello all, still here & it is Day 23! :) wow, if you had asked me 2 months ago if i could eat this way for 30 days i would have said no.

I know i will never look at food the same way. Very excited to get lab work done to see results( I've been borderline type 2 Diabetes for the last two years) im not gonna lie im stoked to see what the scale says, not that it matters ( i feel so much better, more energy, clothes fit better & even looking at pictures of myself i can tell things have changed). I still don't know what my plan is after the 30 is up. I'm reading the book so hoping that will help in decisions, Thinking I might introduce things back in, see how each make me feel and decide from there. Makes me nervous having it be my choice, kind of like the rules. Have truly enjoyed having this forum & especially this thread with this group.  :D 

Archived