Starting Tuesday, May 27th

heidilc717

Going to the Farmer's Market this weekend. Hoping there is some more squash to be had, as the grocery store is lacking lately. How hard is it for others here to source local meats & produce?

Most everything is shipped in here, so buying local is a challenge when it's even possible. Fish is easy, as well as some wild grown berries/greens, but it's not like going to markets where you can count on finding certain things. It comes down to doing the best that you can, I think. I buy certain organics, certain things regular, and some I just avoid because I know they will never be good at the wrong time of the year here.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How hard is it for others here to source local meats & produce?

Relatively easy here (Nashville), for which I'm thankful. My CSA season just started, and I'll get a big box of produce, one "portion" of local grass-fed/free-range meat and 1.5 dozen pastured eggs from them every week through October. We have a farmers' market with a weekly satellite market at my workplace (we're a very large local employer), and a great local butcher plus a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's, along with "regular" stores. I try to avoid Whole Foods just because it's so expensive (if I'm spending that much I'd rather it stay local), but it's great for some specific things.

Reading that made me vow to not take all those options for granted!

I started on May 23, and feeling just fine.  I don't anticipate any real detox because I've been drinking lots of green juices, and eating tons of greens for a while, and I've been mostly gluten free for at least a few months.  I really only eat fish and eggs at this point, and don't really want to eat other meats with the possible exception of chicken. The thing I most need to do is rid myself of the dairy, sugars, and grains, so here I am!  I've been eating well for a few years, BUT not staying away from these 3 things (dairy-sweet-grains) consistently for any meaningful period of time.  Having this program really just keeps me where I need to be, and that is exciting.  I felt cravings on day #1 and 2, but not after that.  I'm also doing Bikram Yoga ("hot yoga") 3 or more days a week, so I have to drink, drink, drink so I am not dehydrated.  My goal is to improve my overall health, which also includes losing some weight.  I'm looking forward to hearing how everyone is doing and how this impacts everyone's life!

Day 2 is done and I'm feeling pretty good now. The morning was rough, though. I didn't have the expected headache, but I had this odd jittery (for lack of a better word) almost weak feeling. It was probably my body rebelling against lack of sugar. Anyway, the short temper seemed to come early to me. Snapped at hubby twice tonight. Anyone else? Anyways, meals prepped for tomorrow. Hoping for a good night's sleep!

Relatively easy here (Nashville), for which I'm thankful. My CSA season just started, and I'll get a big box of produce, one "portion" of local grass-fed/free-range meat and 1.5 dozen pastured eggs from them every week through October. We have a farmers' market with a weekly satellite market at my workplace (we're a very large local employer), and a great local butcher plus a Whole Foods and a Trader Joe's, along with "regular" stores. I try to avoid Whole Foods just because it's so expensive (if I'm spending that much I'd rather it stay local), but it's great for some specific things.

Reading that made me vow to not take all those options for granted!

Reading this made me search and see that there is a CSA that delivers to my small town once a week. I sent them an email to see if the price was any different since we already missed half this growing season. Exciting!

I bought half a grass fed cow from a local guy, after only tasting his ground beef before, and I am SO disappointed. It is very gamey and I've struggled with cooking the "good" cuts because they smell SO bad when cooking. I know this isn't typical of all grass fed meats, as I've had it from other local sources without this issue. Its just a lot of money invested in meat that I am having a hard time using. Plus, my answer to "help" the gaminess is to soak it in milk, which isn't going to be Whole 30 compliant, so I guess I am going to try to work through the ground beef and maybe some of the stew meat. Ugh! Moral of this story, try several cuts before buying the whole (or half) cow!

There is a local store here in town that gets local milk, eggs, cheeses (raw milk) and some meats. They are very popular and struggle to stay stocked with the stuff we like, though. Our next door neighbors happen to work with another farm who sells grass fed meats, so we buy from them at a local market once a month, too. AND we are close enough to the coast to get decent fish and shrimp, too, so that is nice. I guess we are very fortunate.

Day 2 is done and I'm feeling pretty good now. The morning was rough, though. I didn't have the expected headache, but I had this odd jittery (for lack of a better word) almost weak feeling. It was probably my body rebelling against lack of sugar. Anyway, the short temper seemed to come early to me. Snapped at hubby twice tonight. Anyone else? Anyways, meals prepped for tomorrow. Hoping for a good night's sleep!

DH "drug" me out to walk tonight and I half jokingly-half seriously was like *whine* "I don't wanna walk, its hot... my shoes are worn out... people drive so stupid..." He says "you're just gonna be cranky tonight" and I said "Yep!" I am trying, I AM doing this, but I don't have to like it all.the.time yet, right?

I am having leftover spaghetti sauce for breakfast, I think... and leftover artichoke chicken with salad for lunch. Dinner tomorrow is TBD. Thursday is usually date night and I just don't know how that will work tomorrow.

Just checking in really quickly at the end of the day. Today went pretty well. I've had to pass up several offers of food, including passing up going out to a company-paid lunch today. But honestly, I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything when I already had really good food planned for my lunch.

I also had a few co-workers ask me about Whole30 and they both said I was motivating them to try it, so that helps me stay even more motivated! It's kind of a vicious, I mean, awesome, cycle, isn't it?

Day 2--Done! :)

Day 1 down! Looking forward to another great day, regardless of how I feel, because I know how awesome I WILL feel and how much I will be changed by the end of this. For those on their first time, trust me when I say it is worth it. 

Beginning of day 4 for me and I am MISERABLE.

Its weird, because I have no desire to feed the miserableness with junk. I'm not craving anything. I'm just tired. Very tired. And I feel very sad today for absolutely no reason. I don't really get PMS, so I guess that this must be a little what it is like. I just feel heavy and down and wish I could sleep the day away. I can't wait until tomorrow, because tomorrow will be better.  Hang in there team!

I messed up a tiny bit here on day 3. Maybe some of you experienced folks can tell me if I have to start over for such a tiny infraction this early in the process. Yesterday I was very conscious of not eating what my client ate during feeding therapy, but I sometimes use food doing other kinds of therapy (I'm a speech pathologist). Today, with a particularly reluctant child, I ate 5 Cheerios without a thought. I know most would say, "No big deal," but I'm really committed to doing this right, so is it a big deal?

I messed up a tiny bit here on day 3. Maybe some of you experienced folks can tell me if I have to start over for such a tiny infraction this early in the process. Yesterday I was very conscious of not eating what my client ate during feeding therapy, but I sometimes use food doing other kinds of therapy (I'm a speech pathologist). Today, with a particularly reluctant child, I ate 5 Cheerios without a thought. I know most would say, "No big deal," but I'm really committed to doing this right, so is it a big deal?

Yeah, it is.  Unfortunately when you ate Cheerios, you ate gluten.  Gluten is one of those ingredients that requires a restart, as it can be a gut disruptor. This isn't about being punitive: it's about giving yourself 30 consecutive days with no gut disrupting ingredients.

Call it a Whole33 if that works better for your mindset.

Day 1 down! Looking forward to another great day, regardless of how I feel, because I know how awesome I WILL feel and how much I will be changed by the end of this. For those on their first time, trust me when I say it is worth it.

The fact that some of you have done this before and are doing again motivates me that there must be some benefits or you wouldn't keep doing it.

Its weird, because I have no desire to feed the miserableness with junk. I'm not craving anything. I'm just tired. Very tired. And I feel very sad today for absolutely no reason.

I know this feeling, Rkrzywda! Day 4 of my first Whole30 was the day I was most exhausted and cranky. It does get better!

The fact that some of you have done this before and are doing again motivates me that there must be some benefits or you wouldn't keep doing it.

This is my second, and in some ways it's harder - like, I just want to go to breakfast at one of my favorite places because it's generally very Paleo-friendly, but they cook their eggs in (great quality) butter, and probably have sugar in their sausage and bacon, and blah blah. So one part of me is saying "you know perfectly well that butter doesn't bother you, so why not?" But the other part of me says "remember how great you felt after Whole30? Just suck it up and follow the rules!" :) So I'm sticking with it!

Yeah, it is.  Unfortunately when you ate Cheerios, you ate gluten.  Gluten is one of those ingredients that requires a restart, as it can be a gut disruptor. This isn't about being punitive: it's about giving yourself 30 consecutive days with no gut disrupting ingredients.

Call it a Whole33 if that works better for your mindset.

I agree. It is a big one (gluten) that you truly need to be clear of to know how it affects you. I never realized how badly it affected me until I did my first Whole 30. I like the idea of doing a Whole 33... no restart necessarily, because if you are anything like me you are like "well today is blown, let me EAT ALL THE THINGS again and start over tomorrow"... nope, roll on, just give it 30 day gluten free for full effect. That stuff is evil for those of us truly sensitive. You got this!

I felt SO much better by the end of my first one, I really did. I guess it took feeling like crap again to know how much it did help! I will definitely be handling reintroduction properly. My last Whole 30 ended at the beginning of "eating season" (Thanksgiving/ Christmas/ New Years) and I crashed off of it hard. I've learned my lesson.

Its weird, because I have no desire to feed the miserableness with junk. I'm not craving anything. I'm just tired. Very tired. And I feel very sad today for absolutely no reason. I don't really get PMS, so I guess that this must be a little what it is like. I just feel heavy and down and wish I could sleep the day away. I can't wait until tomorrow, because tomorrow will be better.  Hang in there team!

That was yesterday for me (day 2). I also have hormonal issues that I am hoping this will help, too, so I know I am cranky. I just wanted to be left alone and be in a quiet place, but with 8 kids (yes, even the oldest made an appearance yesterday) and a husband who still has a couple of half days left, that ain't happening. ;) We can do this!!

I'm on day 4 as well and I'm tired and generally hungry. Good to know I'm not alone! Hang in there, this is part of the process for us all. Like you I don't feel like caving in because of cravings, which is already a big step for me. 

I'm on day 4 as well and I'm tired and generally hungry. Good to know I'm not alone! Hang in there, this is part of the process for us all. Like you I don't feel like caving in because of cravings, which is already a big step for me.

I'm on day 4 as well and found I was hungrier today, I'm ready for dinner already and its only 5.30pm

Day 3 well underway for me!  Feeling better than yesterday, though still have a bit of a foggy brain/headache.  Was so tired yesterday but forced myself to go on a bike ride, which definitely improved my mood.  I then made some salad dressing, homemade ketchup, grilled turkey burgers, and made a chopped salad with broccoli, calif., onion, and raisins then tossed it with some of the salad dressing to marinate.  I'm actually looking forward to lunch today!! 

...and made a chopped salad with broccoli, calif., onion, and raisins then tossed it with some of the salad dressing to marinate. I'm actually looking forward to lunch today!!

Oh! Broccoli salad is so good, and I was just trying to figure out what to do with the mass of it in my fridge. Thanks :)

Day 3 for me today as well. My mood/energy are fine, but I'm going to need to go shopping soon. The fridge is getting low... B'fast today is leftovers with a couple eggs, lunch will probably be chicken with broccoli salad :)

I think the trick for me with W30 #3 is honestly not thinking about it so much. I've got a pretty all-or-nothing personality :) The first one wasn't too hard, but it seemed to take foooorever because I did so much planning/reading/rereading... It does require some planning, but it's not as hard as I was making it on myself.

For sauce, I use variations on paleo mayo and some of the other recipes from theclothesmakethegirl.com Sunshine Sauce goes on almost anything in my opinion :) If you roast meat/chicken, the liquid + cooked veg in the bottom of the pan can be blended for great gravy. Try nomnom's Chicken and Gravy. Yum, I love saucy foods...

Same as mrsjessica - I've been eating that nomnompaleo.com chicken and gravy all week! Awesome recipe. And if you have homemade mayo, you can make all kinds of things. I just ate some carrots dunked in remoulade, and I also like the southwest lime cumin mayo variation in Well Fed. Well Fed 2 has tons of recipes using that homemade mayo, along with a lot of other sauces.

I'll jump in here - I'm looking for a June 1 official start date but you guys look fun.  I've been doing Whole30s on and off since September, with September and January being successful completions and the other months being about 90% paleo.  We went to Cheesecake Factory last week and I had the four cheese pasta and it did not even taste good to me anymore.  I had started a May 1 Whole30 but my husband sabotaged my kids and I sabotaged myself so kind of limped along for the rest of the month.  But I need encouragement to get back on my exercise plan more than anything.  Whole30 workds great for me at it keeps my fibromyalgia under control.  And my kids' adhd.

It's Day 3! I'm feeling ok about doing this for 30 days.  We can all do just about anything for 30 days, right?  But I get a bit overwhelmed when I think about doing this EVERYDAY FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE!!  I have chronic medical issues (FM & RA) that necessitate permanent change.  Plus, the meds I've taken and lack of activity since I've been sick have only added weight to my small 5'3" frame.  I feel like this is going to be a lifelong battle.  Perhaps when I start really feeling results it will be easier and become second nature…  I'm interested in hearing from anyone out there who has adopted this eating plan as a long term lifestyle choice not only to drop weight, but also to combat health issues.  Anyone out there who is paleo forever?!  

Can I ask what sauces, gravys etc people are using? It hasn't been a problem so far not having them but I know at some point I'll want them. I'm in the UK so some things aren't available here.

I made the dreamy avocado dressing from ISFW and the pantry vinaigrette (after I made the mayo). Not too shabby! It definitely helps with the ground beef + butternut squash + green pepper saute I've been eating for lunch ALL WEEK......:)

Archived