Starting Tuesday, May 27th

heidilc717

My 1st day in Whole 30. I've done this one time before and I felt the best ever. Didn't have any sinus or sleeping problems. I also Crossfit and it gave me enough energy for that intense workout. Looking forward to my next 29 days. Anyone out there have any good recipes, please let me know.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, food prepped and ready for next week, and it's some good stuff so I'm excited!

Welcome to our little thread jpalumbo! :) I'm using a lot of the recipes on the weekly food plans and I'm following @whole30recipes on Instagram for others. I'm there as heidilc717 also if you want to follow me. I'm not as faithful posting my meals as I wanted to be but I do once in a while!

Day 6--Done!

Oh, editing to add that I was washing my face tonight and noticed that my skin looked really good, much better than it had before, and I felt like my face was thinner, but I would think it's too early for anything like that to be noticeable, wouldn't it? Maybe I was just having a good skin day... 😉

Today was my day 1 for my June Whole30.  We have Red Velvet cake sitting in our fridge from my step-daughter's college graduation party and I was not tempted whatsoever.  I had paleo cream of mushroom soup for breakfast this morning, a hamburger patty with grilled onions and sweet potatoes for lunch, and paleo panang chicken for dinner.  Strawberries as my one fruit today.  I'm off of coffee for the month, too.

Alright, food prepped and ready for next week, and it's some good stuff so I'm excited!

Welcome to our little thread jpalumbo! :) I'm using a lot of the recipes on the weekly food plans and I'm following @whole30recipes on Instagram for others. I'm there as heidilc717 also if you want to follow me. I'm not as faithful posting my meals as I wanted to be but I do once in a while!

I followed you on Instagram!  I will post some photos as well, if anyone wants to follow me, I'm @colleen371.  You may have to endure several photos of Annie, my sweet mini dachshund, though! 

Happy Day 7 everyone!!

Hi everyone! So glad everyone got through the weekend unscathed! Mine was a bit crazy for non-food-related reasons, so I'm just now checking in.

I'm wearing the work trousers I wore last Monday, I think, and they already fit better. I say this not to discourage first-timers who haven't seen any changes yet (it would be awfully early!), but because it really drilled home to me how much inflammation the "banned" foods can cause! I don't think I gained weight on vacation, but I clearly gained some inflammation (probably from all the gluten I was eating - my body isn't used to that anymore).

Happy Day 7.

Hope you all are doing well and eating great food.

I'm making Tod Mun Chicken Cakes from Well Fed 2.  I put raw chicken in my food processor  :unsure: .... I 've never done that before.  But the gloppy mess smells delicious.

I had 2 duck eggs over leftover rutabaga hash for breakfast this morning.  If you haven't tried a starchy veggie hash yet, I strongly encourage you to try it.  Out of this world delicious.  Here's the recipe I follow (substituting whatever starchy veg for the sweet potato for variety) http://nomnompaleo.com/post/19886925277/sweet-potato-hash-with-fried-eggs

It reheats well (actually tastes better!) and is simple to make if you have a food processor with a shredder blade.

Enjoy your day! 

Snowflower I made a similar hash this weekend...it's amazing and yes even better as left overs! I had 1/2 rotabage, 1/2 sweet Potato, 1/4 apple, 1/2 onion, 3 pieces of bacon (cooked and cut up, thrown in at the end) 1 garlic all sautéed and cooked up in coconut oil, salt and pepper. Gosh it was good. Going to make cauliflower chicken fried rice tonight..

Feeling good, but really tired - not from my eating but from not sleeping enough. Sunday threw me for a loop. Some unexpected and ill-timed events coincided. I was good for the first - had plenty of veggies and precooked meat on hand. The second, not so much. Had to pay $7 at a fancy restaurant for an appetizer that I asked them to leave half the ingredients out of. I ended up with tomatoes and cucumbers drizzled in EVOO and sprinkled with oregano. They were tasty, but not worth $7 plus tax and tip. Oh and did I mention that it was after my family got burgers, fries and chicken fingers at Cookout? Oh well, no matter. The worst part was not getting home until 10:30, thus not having time to prep for Monday (yes, I'm a little behind in writing). So last night, rather than my planned chicken dish, I grilled the blandest, driest checked ever (so it would get cooked before it spoiled) and prepped for chili by precooking the meat with onions last night. Tonight I'll finish the chili and may finally get to the cauliflower soup, but really need to catch up on sleep, too! Happy Tuesday everyone! One week in the books!

Oh yeah... And ditto on the skin looking better! I noticed a few days ago but thought I must be crazy!

Hello all.  We're into week 2!

I didn't love the Tod Mun cakes.  I'll try them again today for lunch and add a little salt.  I did LOVE the cucumber relish that I made with though.  It is thinly sliced cucumbers, red onions, cashews and a dressing of lime juice, orange juice, fish sauce and coconut aminos.

My 7# pork shoulder is finally thawed!  (It's been in the fridge since FRIDAY!!) I'll put that in the slow cooker today, but it takes 16 hours so might either need to make dinner and lunch out of the Tod Mun cakes or figure something else out.  Maybe fried sardines! 

My breakfast was the last of my rutabaga hash, brussels sprouts and 2 eggs.  (and always coffee with coconut milk)

Have a great day!!

Happy Day 8!!!  Feeling pretty good today, though experienced some lingering fatigue as well.  Made a curried chicken salad last night and had that for supper and breakfast - so good! 

I had the Tod Mun cakes flagged to try as well - good to know they need salt.  The hash you folks are mentioning sounds really good as well.  I have the ingredients on hand for that, just not the time in the a.m.  I will have to give it a go tonight and save some for breakfast. 

Have a great day everyone! 

Hi All! I haven't been on for a few days but I'm happy to report that things have been going well. I survived my favorite pizza place, my inlaws visit, a birthday party for my best friends (at a bar, for like 6 hours--water only for me  ^_^ ), and a kid's birthday party. I am proud of myself because I honestly never even felt tempted. I feel good and I have also noticed the effects in my skin! So glad to hear similar experiences. Honestly can't believe this is day 9. I don't have any major challenges on the horizon until next week with work travel. Next week will be the half way point for us! Unreal! 

Congratulations to everyone on staying strong! 

Happy Day 8 everyone!  I'm not feeling as prepared today and need to do some more food prep tonight to get me there, I think. 

Should we do a roll call to see who all is here at the beginning of our second week (or whatever day you happen to be on!)?  Even if you're usually only lurking, post and let us know you're (still) here!

I'm still here and still going strong!  Who else??  :)

I'm still here!

colleenb, I prefer to sleep instead of cook in the mornings :), so I make a big batch of a hash/scramble on the weekends. Then I basically just reheat and poach eggs (I set the water to boil while I dry my hair, come downstairs and have breakfast ready in 5-10 minutes). Works great for me, since I'd never cook for 30 minutes before work!

snowflower, thanks for the Tod Mun chicken review! I've had those on my list to try but haven't yet. How necessary do you think the coconut aminos are?

I haven't been using any of the posted recipes, but I will try some now. To kick this off, I've been sticking to the same lunch each day which is the majority of my daily intake: 6 oz salmon fried in ghee, 1/3 lb organic salad greens, lots of raw veggies usually tomatoes and cucs, with a raw homemade salad dressing with strawberries, organic coconut vinegar, shallots, organic extra virgin olive oil, compliant dijon mustard. Other than this, I drink quite a bit because I take Bikram Yoga, I eat lots of fresh fruits, mostly berries, and I'll have some soft boiled or hard boiled eggs of dinner usually. I will need some variety if I am to be successful, and some of what I've seen mentioned sounds pretty good!

I'm on day #12, and feeling very good, and having no real problems or side effects yet. While I certainly need to rid myself of all the goop in my system from the gluten free bread, cheeses, half and half, and sweetners (albeit unchemical versions), my system is already relatively clean. I have been eating lots and lots of greens, fruits and veggies for quite some time, including green juices. My hot yoga also is helpful for detox because I sweat like CRAZY so many times a week. It feels like I could have lost a few lbs already, which is amazing given that the most i ever lose on a "diet" is 1 lb/week, and I'm post menopausal and really stuck for a long time at my weight. Taking this step was a long time coming, and I'm thrilled to be doing this!

I'm here but I'm also on the June 1 group because that's when I ended up starting.

I love the salmon in ghee with salad lunch idea.

I'm trying to gear up to cooking the giblets in the bag from the whole chicken that I put into the slow cooker today for nomnompaleo's slow cooker chicken and gravy.  Anyone cook giblets?

I'm here.  Day 7 for me.  Things are going great.  I enjoyed some more of the yummy sausage I made yesterday with my breakfast.  =)  I think tonight we will have cod fish or chicken "noodle" soup.  I better decide soon!

Ok, I survived eating giblets.  I used the coating from Well Fed 2's pan-fried sardines, which is arrowroot powder, salt and some spices.  I cut the liver and heart into sections, coated them in the coating and fried well done in ghee.  Then I fried some kale and spinach that I keep in my freezer.  Then I couldn't figure out what food group giblets count as, so I added in a fried egg.  Decent breakfast - I would probably do it again the next time I have giblets available.

The hard part is, I'm a veterinarian.  For some reason the liver grosses me out now like it never did when I was a child.

Archived