Starting Tuesday, May 27th

heidilc717

I have been reading this thread but am just joining today. I hope that's okay?!?! I started on May 26th so this is day 9 for me. Today is the first day that I woke up starving. I am not a breakfast lover but I find that I "need" it now. I love hearing everyone's story and how they overcome obstacles. Also, about the skin, I have noticed my skin looking better as well. My hands are notoriously dry and scaly. I have tried every lotion, soaks, soaps, etc .....still dry, scaly hands. I am a nurse and use lots of harsh hand washes and alcohol gels at work so I figured I would just have to live with it. However, not even 10 days in and my hands are SOFT for the first time in a very long time! I can't believe it and I can't stop feeling my hands! No lotions, no soap changes, nothing but W30!!!! Seriously, I am in disbelief! I love this diet!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

snowflower, thanks for the Tod Mun chicken review! I've had those on my list to try but haven't yet. How necessary do you think the coconut aminos are?

Are coconut aminos not available where you live?  I have heard of people on the forum ordering them from Amazon.  I use them ALL THE TIME! Almost daily!  So I think they are necessary.

I added a sprinkle of salt and topped them with Sunshine Sauce from Well Fed.  It was a good lunch with a green salad.

Now that I've got Sunshine Sauce, I'm going to have to make Pad Thai!

Love it, GrannieD!

snowflower - my Whole Foods usually has them; I'm just cheap! Plus I don't use them all that often (certainly not as often as you!), and don't currently have them on hand. So I was just wondering if they made a special trip's worth of difference. :)

Still here at the end of day 8 (of 33). Chocolate chili is simmering on the stove, cauliflower soup is well underway... Relaxing for 10 minutes before starting in on the huge pile of dirty dishes I amassed from making 2 versions of the same dinner and starting these meals to get me through the week. It sure is hard to overeat when you don't have a moment to think about the sweets lurking on the fridge. No room in the fridge for extras either! Produce and Tupperware take up a lot of space!

So anyway, I've decided that it's a good thing that I'll be traveling out of town the day after I finish. I didn't clean out the cupboards, for the sake of my kids and husband. I think if I were home, I might be tempted to overindulge. My mom doesn't keep junk around - just an occasional dessert and the leftovers while they last. Kind of like that idea now. Wonder if I could make that work without feeling the need to eat all the junk first (to avoid "wasting" it.)

I'm here! Survived a Chuck E Cheese birthday party Saturday. I've been very clean and today was the hardest for some reason. Probably because I've spent the last 2 days running errands and haven't been able to prep as much.

We are heading to the NC Mtns for 2 nights in our camper and I've prepared for DH and I (and the kids, of course) for all meals except one out, which may not even be all that fun due to our limited choices. Still, the point is to get out, have a little fun and explore, so it will all be good.

Almost 1/3 of the way in. My clothes are already fitting better, so it pushes me on.

Still here! Feeling very proud of myself today. I had an emergency with a client (I'm a social worker) that made me skip a meal and have to hit the road unexpectedly. No food in my belly and 4 hours of driving ahead of me - normally this girl would have hit up vending machines or gas stations for junk food granola bars or something. But not today. I found a place to get a salad and ate it without dressing while driving (if any of you are cops, please forgive me) but for a girls who ate carbs every 3-4 hours, this is progress. No excuses!

I am also bothered by annoying eczema patches around my eyes that creams never fully take care of. Guess what? They're healing! :-)

Nice job everyone! Stay strong!

Hello everyone!  Still here, and I have to say I am feeling GREAT today.  I had a lack of sleep Monday night, so I struggled through yesterday, but I think after that, and surviving a BBQ this weekend without even a thought of going off track I can finish this through with no problem. :)  Not to mention, I have a ton of energy today, some acne on my face that is clearing up, and my pants are feeling loose.  If that's not enough motivation, I'm not sure what is.  Great job everyone - we are a third of the way there!

I'm still here!

Day 8 for me and hubs made theclothesmakethegirl's Bora Bora Fireballs with Sunshine Sauce (http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/03/05/bora-bora-fireballs/), so I've been eating those a lot.  That may be my favorite clean recipe despite the fact that it's extremely labor intensive.  

I love this thread because everyone is sharing their challenges while staying so positive!  Thanks for the energy, y'all!

I'm on day 10! Woohoo it feels good to be out of single digits! Food prep was compromised this weekend, but I have managed to stay on track which makes me so proud. In the past I would have made excuses and just kept up with the same habits that weren't getting me anywhere (except more depressed and mad with myself). I started waking up about 45 minutes earlier than usual so I can have quiet time to get my day started right, mentally. I'm more organized and motivated with work, because I finally feel in control of something. What an amazing side effect! I've noticed that I don't panic if I don't have an entire meal planned, I can wing it more comfortably now. Good stuff is happening.  :D

I'm still in it!

Sometimes i just pop on to read everyone posts to keep me inspired. I struggled on day eight, thought of bagging it all and just going to pizza, but... i stayed on! Day nine! Ready to keep at it, Taco salad for lunch & Salmon for dinner hopefully will take me out of the doldrums of food i feel I've been eating( most due to not be prepared and busy) 

We are going out of town for the weekend i little nervous on going out( going to Bend OR where on every block is a brew pub and killer food places). We do have kitchen so planning meals at the house too.

Im glad everyone is still staying strong. I have seen results from my healthy eating, clear skin :rolleyes: , not so bloated :P . I'm hoping to feel more driven to exercise with the weather being nicer now.

Thank you all for your meal sharing and words of strength and struggles. WE are in this together!

Almost a 1/3 done! 

Had to work late today, but no stop at the vending machine or Chik-fil-a for this girl! Nope! Straight home for chocolate chili ( http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/) with a chopped tomato to top it, half an acorn squash and a big 'ole glass of H2O! Tried the golden cauliflower soup ( http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/10/24/golden-cauliflower-soup/) at lunch with some chicken salad and grape tomatoes. Yum! Need to replenish my green veggie supply. Preparation is definitely key. Must cook more this weekend. Feels good to sit down to dinner and not rush to get the next day's meal ready. I think I'll repeat this day tomorrow and worry about cooking again on Friday.

Okay, suggestions for this weekend's cooking plans? What makes a big batch to last the week?

Oh! Almost forgot. Lately I feel like I'm content with eating less food at a meal, yet I'm pretty hungry before the next one (oddly not as unpleasantly hungry as I used to get). Should I make myself eat more at meals or will that eventually pass? For example, last night I ate a whole yellow squash (medium sized) and what seemed like about 1/4 cup of chicken salad (not measuring) with pecans and paleo in it... After that I wasn't hungry for more, so I stopped eating. By breakfast this morning, I was really hungry and felt like I could eat a ton, but was happy with two boiled eggs, a hand full of berries and half of a small green pepper. Thoughts?

Thanks all and good luck with the end of the work week!

Oh! Almost forgot. Lately I feel like I'm content with eating less food at a meal, yet I'm pretty hungry before the next one (oddly not as unpleasantly hungry as I used to get). Should I make myself eat more at meals or will that eventually pass? For example, last night I ate a whole yellow squash (medium sized) and what seemed like about 1/4 cup of chicken salad (not measuring) with pecans and paleo in it... After that I wasn't hungry for more, so I stopped eating. By breakfast this morning, I was really hungry and felt like I could eat a ton, but was happy with two boiled eggs, a hand full of berries and half of a small green pepper. Thoughts?

Thanks all and good luck with the end of the work week!

Eat at least a template portion of your protein and fat. Those two example probably were too small unless you have tiny hands.

Our fridge went out yesterday.  We have someone coming to look at it in the morning.  Luckily we have another one in our basement.  I'm also researching food I can bring on 3 day backpacking trip in a couple of weeks.  I am hoping to be able to dehydrate a lot of good whole30 approved food!

I'm still here, although today was rough. Not really tempted to cheat, just kind of bored with it. Although, when I was talking to my hair stylist getting my hair cut tonight, she mentioned that I was almost a third of the way through it! And I realized that, with tomorrow being day 10, she was right!

So I'm late getting home and eating my dinner but I'm still on track. Just realized one of my favorite dinners could easily be whole30 compliant so I whipped enough up for now and lunch tomorrow. I cut up chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces(figuring one per person/meal), and sauté that with about a tablespoon of ghee, chopped up onion, a clove of garlic, and a little salt. When the chicken is about done, throw in some fresh, chopped cilantro to your preference, I estimate about a quarter cup per person, but we all love cilantro here. Then, when the chicken is fully done, serve over some fresh spinach, cherry tomatoes, and some chopped avocado. SO yummy! I also realized my homemade salsa is whole30 compliant so I'm definitely making this again when I have some salsa to have with it!

Day 9--done! :)

Happy Day 10 Everyone.

LindyJules, do you have WellFed2? My weekend plans include making meatballs from her Burgers, Balls & Bangers section. I have my favorites, but might try a new one this weekend. They are perfect for breakfast, lunch and dinner! And they freeze really well! (that reminds me...I need to take some ground meat out of the freezer)

I also have chicken bone broth in my crockpot right now. So I'm planning on making sweet potato soup and faux pho this weekend with that, as well. I'll freeze whatever's left.

Have a great day!

Had to work late today, but no stop at the vending machine or Chik-fil-a for this girl! Nope! Straight home for chocolate chili ( http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/02/22/my-favorite-chili-recipe/) with a chopped tomato to top it, half an acorn squash and a big 'ole glass of H2O! Tried the golden cauliflower soup ( http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2012/10/24/golden-cauliflower-soup/) at lunch with some chicken salad and grape tomatoes. Yum! Need to replenish my green veggie supply. Preparation is definitely key. Must cook more this weekend. Feels good to sit down to dinner and not rush to get the next day's meal ready. I think I'll repeat this day tomorrow and worry about cooking again on Friday.

Okay, suggestions for this weekend's cooking plans? What makes a big batch to last the week?

I agree 100%-- I am out of leafy greens as of this morning and I feel like I need to run to the store STAT. Preparation is the only way to do this, or just only buying the things you know can be quickly assembled into a low key meal. I also plan to cook this weekend. The 'hash' concept has worked well for me. I typically brown up whatever I have in coc, oil and add whatever veggies I have. I usually pair this with a sweet potato (my fav), a sliced tomato, half an avocado, or some more veggies. It's a big meal! I plan to make some sausage patties this weekend with sausage I get at the local farm (so it's clean and all that jazz), boil some eggs, and make a "hash" of course. I'd also love to make the sunshine sauce. I've been having trouble with the family dinners, I need to invest some time in finding some recipes for that. I'll be on the road a lot next week, so weekend prep will be essential. Good luck! 

I'm still here, although today was rough. Not really tempted to cheat, just kind of bored with it. Although, when I was talking to my hair stylist getting my hair cut tonight, she mentioned that I was almost a third of the way through it! And I realized that, with tomorrow being day 10, she was right!

So I'm late getting home and eating my dinner but I'm still on track. Just realized one of my favorite dinners could easily be whole30 compliant so I whipped enough up for now and lunch tomorrow. I cut up chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces(figuring one per person/meal), and sauté that with about a tablespoon of ghee, chopped up onion, a clove of garlic, and a little salt. When the chicken is about done, throw in some fresh, chopped cilantro to your preference, I estimate about a quarter cup per person, but we all love cilantro here. Then, when the chicken is fully done, serve over some fresh spinach, cherry tomatoes, and some chopped avocado. SO yummy! I also realized my homemade salsa is whole30 compliant so I'm definitely making this again when I have some salsa to have with it!

Day 9--done! :)

There is a timeline here somewhere that lays it all out and most of us are to the point where, if we were to quit, this would be it... I will look and see if I can find it. My last Whole 30 it was me to a tee!

Yesterday was extremely tough! :( We drove all the way to our campsite in NC (about 4.5 hours on the road w 6 kids) only to realize there was an emergency here at home that we really had to attend to, so we never unpacked, pulled back out and hit the road again. We ended up going through Hardee's for the kids (which isn't a big temptation, since we rarely eat there anyway) and I ate cashews out of the camper for supper. DH had pigskins. Not ideal, but we did not break our Whole 30, either. We spent almost 10 hours in the car with the kiddos yesterday. If there was EVER a time to crack, that would have been it. *sigh*

Day 10 is here. Breakfast was good (clean bacon and farm fresh eggs, coffee with coconut milk) and our CSA produce will be in today. I have free range chicken already defrosted (was to be our supper camping last night) and need to come up with something good for chicken breast. I have a ton of fresh veggies (collards, zucchini, yellow squash, cauliflower, broccoli, and whatever comes in the CSA) so I am set there, but am feel uninspired... and admittedly stressed by other issues... so I'd love to hear some tried and true chicken breast recipes. :)

yeswehave, this is my go-to for chicken breasts - it really is so good! I use a different spice mix because I'm not that into the flavors she uses, but the method is what makes it awesome anyway. I got a package in my CSA box yesterday that I'll probably do this with.

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/06/09/the-best-chicken-you-will-ever-eat-ever/

Today is going to be a really weird food day (had a coffee date this morning that I didn't want to eat before, so I'm just now eating "breakfast"), but that's okay once in awhile. I'm so proud of everyone for making it through tough situations!! We are doing awesome!

There is a timeline here somewhere that lays it all out and most of us are to the point where, if we were to quit, this would be it... I will look and see if I can find it. My last Whole 30 it was me to a tee!

Yesterday was extremely tough! :( We drove all the way to our campsite in NC (about 4.5 hours on the road w 6 kids) only to realize there was an emergency here at home that we really had to attend to, so we never unpacked, pulled back out and hit the road again. We ended up going through Hardee's for the kids (which isn't a big temptation, since we rarely eat there anyway) and I ate cashews out of the camper for supper. DH had pigskins. Not ideal, but we did not break our Whole 30, either. We spent almost 10 hours in the car with the kiddos yesterday. If there was EVER a time to crack, that would have been it. *sigh*

Day 10 is here. Breakfast was good (clean bacon and farm fresh eggs, coffee with coconut milk) and our CSA produce will be in today. I have free range chicken already defrosted (was to be our supper camping last night) and need to come up with something good for chicken breast. I have a ton of fresh veggies (collards, zucchini, yellow squash, cauliflower, broccoli, and whatever comes in the CSA) so I am set there, but am feel uninspired... and admittedly stressed by other issues... so I'd love to hear some tried and true chicken breast recipes. :)

What a day you had! Great job hanging in there. You are back on track today. Glad you asked about chicken, I am having the same issue. So thanks jent103 for the recipe link! I don't have those darn coconut aminos yet. I swear every recipe of hers that I look at has them. Need to get on board.

quinnsmom - coconut aminos are tasty, definitely, but you can totally do that recipe without them if you want. I've done the full-blown recipe, and I've also just used the method - brining with salt and peppercorns and garlic, then doing a mix of whatever spices I felt like. It's the method that makes it the best for me. I don't know why I'd never thought to brine chicken breasts before (I brine every Thanksgiving turkey I do), but it's delicious!

Hello everyone!! 

I'm still here and in it to win it!!  I'm inspired by everyone's stories.  Thanks for sharing them!!  I haven't had too many difficult situations yet but do have some on the horizon - a baby shower, a wedding, etc.  I'm glad I've had this time to adjust before these events, because I'm beginning to feel stronger in the face of my usual pitfalls.  Strangely enough, I'm not craving or missing anything right now and a Diet Pepsi doesn't even sound good.  Just ten days ago I would say I was addicted to the stuff.  Could this be the magic I've heard about?  Good things are happening!!! 

Archived