Starting Tuesday, May 27th

heidilc717

Hiya!

I too started on 5/27 and am going strong with the exception of a nagging mild headache, going on for a couple of days now. Is anybody else experiencing this? Is it just withdrawal symptoms from my pasta and gummy bear addictions? I've been pretty cautious to make sure I'm eating enough and getting my protein, carb, sugar and fat with every meal. Any input or encouragement is welcome.

While I do feel a little sluggish this week, compared to last week, I feel amazing and lighter. Keep up the great work everybody!!!!

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 11!

We are 1/3 into this challenge, sometimes not to hard , but other times it is a challenge to myself to see this through.

Finally got motivated to do some prep work made Curry cream of broccoli soup from nomnompaelo.com(amazing. today for lunch I added some shrimp and avocado to it). Boiled some eggs, pickled some shrimp(pickling spice bundled up in cheese cloth & boiled the shrimp, then chilled) & made sweet potato chips (need to perfect that one) I need to make a dressing to take with me when i go out to eat, etc. Ideas?

I wish everyone continued success as we learn about our new relationship with food & our bodies :)

I made a really good crockpot chicken stew last weekend that I find mind eating again and again. I wish I could find the recipe, but essentially it was organic chicken breast tenders, compliant organic chicken sausage from Wegmans, sautéed onions, a cup of chicken broth and a can of organic diced tomatoes (I puréed half the can) and spices of your choice. Served over kale greens. Yum.

I'm still here, too...mostly lurking...day 10.  Rkrzywda, I, too, enjoyed a salad while driving the other day!  Yikes!  

I have some sort of weird rash that even the doctor can't identify, so now I'm undergoing all kinds of testing,  I was pretty down about it yesterday, and I would have bailed when the chicken didn't defrost as quickly as I had hoped.  It was 7pm and the kids were hungry, and we had NOTHING ready!  DH went and bought some pork chops to grill up quickly and made a cajun veg mix with celery, peppers, and onions.  Phew!  

Overall this 2nd time through feels mostly effortless, but yesterday was a huge challenge--just wanted dark chocolate and wine!

Keep up the good work, everyone.

OH--forgot to report that I am 32# lighter than last time I was at the doctor (2011).  Yippee! I know, I know...no scale for 30 days...I don't own one though, and I'm not an addict, so I needed to celebrate this success.  :ph34r:

OH--forgot to report that I am 32# lighter than last time I was at the doctor (2011).  Yippee! I know, I know...no scale for 30 days...I don't own one though, and I'm not an addict, so I needed to celebrate this success.  :ph34r:

Getting weighed at a doctor's appointment is different than weighing yourself. Unless you purposefully scheduled an appointment to find out your weight which I'm doubting you did. 

jme2703 - do you have a log of your food somewhere? Posting a few days' worth might help people make suggestions. I tend to get headaches if I don't hydrate well enough. A lot of people feel better when they eat starchy vegetables, too (sweet potatoes, winter squashes, that sort of thing).

Hello all.

Still here but tough thoughts -  really wanted a steak and glass of wine after my workout, but I am home and cooking and none in the house, so I am safe! 

Also,small headache came back this morning for which I needed some ibuprofen- hopefully that is it! 

This Whole30 definitely different feeling from last year's first one- in some ways easier, but the headaches are new....

On on to day 11!!

I really want to cheat. I am very tempted now. Not a craving... Hard to explain. My job comes with emotional heart wrenching stress. I respond by carrying it physically. My muscles tense, mostly my neck shoulders and jaw. Sometimes my neck locks. I can't sleep. I feel it coming on now. I was up half of the night last night. My jaw hurts now. Usually just one drink is enough to relax me enough that I can recover. I really don't drink.

I really need to think about if it is worth getting off track to relax my muscles and get some sleep...

Hi rkrzywda stay strong- it is a mental game today on day 10 apparently!! Can yo do something else, stretches, yoga etc? Visualization of relaxation? 

I wanted to cheat very badly earlier, but I am happy with decision now. Hopefully something else besides a drink can help :)

Amazing! I just left a reception with some very delicious-looking free food and wine. I wasn't even slightly tempted. I couldn't wait to get home to my planned dinner!

Does anyone know if there's a printable version of the plate showing portion sizes? I'd like one to hang on my fridge as a reminder. I think I tend to do less veggies at some meals, but make up for it with others (mostly because of time). I'd like to even that out more. Thanks for the recipe suggestions. I have no special cookbooks, at this point. Maybe I'll see if there's an electronic version. Trying to declutter...

Another positive to report before I sign off to get in one more veggie... My son started eating raw peppers again! They used to be one of his favorites, but someone must have convinced him he shouldn't like them because he's been refusing to try them - even the fun Today he asked for one of each color, then proceeded to eat them and have seconds. He's excited about the cauliflower soup, too. He requested it for dinner tomorrow. Love it!

Great job everyone. We're coming to the hardest part, but the best part is on the other side!

Hi folks!!

I'm not sure what day we're on.. 10, 11, 12?  I'm trying NOT to count because I'm seeing this as a long term change, a new lifestyle.

This group of warriors has helped boost my spirits in many ways - SO THANK YOU!!  This is very much a one-day-at-a-time kind of deal, but I also like to keep my head on long term goals.  Perhaps those of us, who are interested in sticking with the program 90-95% of the time after 30 days, can start a new thread or join another, where we support each other long term?!  My guess is that the challenges and rewards are new and different.

I must say that my fibromyalgia symptoms/pain is already reduced.  That's kind of a miracle.  How can I remember that sugar/grains = pain??!!  Such a strange thing, right?  Perhaps if I approach those things like I do alcohol...  I never have a problem over indulging because I HATE hangovers.  Went there once and never again!  If I can think of sugars/grain/etc like booze, maybe I'll stick with me : )

Why is this is hard?!?!

Thanks again, everyone!  Go team!

xoxo

rkrzywda - YOU CAN DO IT!!

Try something new and different!

I have terrible muscle pain as well. 

Try a hot bath.  Try a heating pad.

Listen to upbeat music. LOUD!!  Sometimes I get in my car, roll down the windows,  get on the highway (where I can drive faster than city streets), turn up my music, and SING!!

I don't know what will work for you, but you need to release some tension.

Call a friend. Talk about your day.

Drinking and eating won't actually solve the problem, but it will make you feel worse down the line.

YOU GOT THIS!!

Damn you all!!!! I was really looking forward to cheating.

I must not have really wanted to though because I could have just had a drink and not told anyone. But I posted and you all delivered the wisdom and support that I needed. So THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Crisis averted for the moment. I am in for continuing on past 30 days as well.

Been lurking a few days now...started 5/27 and have been reading comments the last few nights for inspiration! My biggest complaint of the day...I didn't get to eat my key lime Larabar because I wasn't hungry between meals!

Damn you all!!!! I was really looking forward to cheating.

I must not have really wanted to though because I could have just had a drink and not told anyone. But I posted and you all delivered the wisdom and support that I needed. So THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Crisis averted for the moment. I am in for continuing on past 30 days as well.

Good for you girl! ;)

I hear ya, I have a tremendous amount of stressors right now, too (and no, its not "just" the 8 kids and ailing 81 yr old MIL)... I am finding that I've been incredibly teary the last few days, because the emotions I would usually cover with food is just bubbling out. Its a weird feeling, I do understand. I also carry it physically. My chiropractor has given up telling me to try to eliminate some stressors, as it simply isn't possible right now. But maybe if I eliminate the physical stressors, like those wrong foods, than I will feel more comfortable in this body that seems to be awfully darned angry at me lately. It is TOUGH to break those connections, though, especially the emotional ones!

Virtual hugs all around. Happy end to a successful day 10! :)

Love this group! Remember all, if you can't beat yourself up about your food choices, isn't that one less stressor, in the end? If you've read the timeline, you know that the best is yet to come! Keep at it because I want to hear how you all feel when you get there!

Wow! I haven't been on in a few days due to VERY long days at work. Thankfully I have today off or I might have cracked. It's amazing how the timeline is pretty accurate for almost everyone....we are all pretty much experiencing the same things at the same times/days. However, yesterday I had another "kill all the things" day. I also had a killer headache! I thought we were supposed to be past that part. I am using today to regroup and prepare.

Jen103, I am going to make that chicken for supper tonight and will also use different spices. Thanks for the recipe. It looks delicious!

Rkrzywda, I am the same way. Good for you! You got through the day!

To everyone else, thanks for the support. It makes doing this that much easier!

Grannie - the timeline was scarily accurate for me the first go-round, but around day 10-11 I was completely over it and cranky, not because of the food but just because of the prep and not being able to socialize in the same way! It gets better, I promise. :) If the headaches are pretty bad, you might post what you've been eating in the Whole30 log section so the mods can give you some suggestions. They're super helpful!

Happy Day 11 Everyone!!

I tried the sweet potato hash someone mentioned a while back and it was so delicious - just basically threw some things together with the shredded sweet potato - an onion, some garlic, plenty of spices.  I can see how this would be a very versatile meal and I'm definitely putting it into regular rotation! 

My veggie garden survived a severe hail storm we recently had here in Nebraska (severe weather is our thing!).  I'm looking forward to fresh produce soon!! 

Hope all are doing well - happy Friday!! 

Reflecting on food as I cook dinner.

Why in the world would I think of store boxed cookies such as chips ahoy as a treat? Why would I eat 5 of them?

I have no desire for sugar, but if and when I do splurge in my future life, "treat" will be defined much differently and it better be phenomenal for me to splurge.

How much did I choose to eat simply because it was available and easy? Must remember these lessons!

Tonight is gonna be tough. I am already preparing myself mentally, but still know it will be. I am taking 6 girls (13-14) to see "The Fault in Our Stars". Not only can I not have the popcorn or the sickeningly sweet soda I'd normally have (don't worry, I do 2 movies a year usually) but it is supposed to be a real tear-jerker, too.

I think I am going to take some pistachios with me, at least its salty. I need like a liter of water, too. Hmmmm.

Tough day, but won't be beaten by myself at this! Must prove to myself I can do this! Day 10 is the day when it gets boring. The ease of a cheese stick or chips and salsa seems like just the thing and a glass of wine would go down so nicely, but I will not cave to laziness! Tonight I will get a good night's sleep. Tomorrow I will have salsa on my eggs and drink my coffee on the deck and all will be right with the world. Off tomake dinner! Happy Friday everyone! Only 2 left for some of you!

Archived