Starting Tuesday, May 27th

heidilc717

Sweet potatoes in the morning really help me get through the day. If I'm in a rush, I have one of the organic micro steamer kinds that you can pop in the microwave. Today I did that with 2 hard boiled eggs because I was in a rush. But I've learned to love meat in the morning as well. Lunch was a hamburger patty and cucumber/grape tomato salad. I did cave and have an apple today in between lunch and dinner. Dinner was compliant chicken sausage, steamed carrots and broccoli.

I'm fighting the good fight with my sugar demons, but man, it is already starting to show. I started on Monday, and I feel it wearing me down. I'm starting to get crabby and miserable.  I refuse to cave in, but I want to warn you... If you have a real sugar problem, it gets ugly. Just remember that withdrawal is never easy but once you get through the couple days of crankiness, it is so much easier and freeing!!!!

:)

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am also appreciating this group support! One thing I really noticed today is a sense of pride for taking ownership of myself. It's gonna be a challenge to maintain but I actually feel confident that I can do it!

I was thinking the same thing! haven't really felt this kind of support before (even from friends and family) The group makes me want to hold my self accountable. I'm not on another diet, I'm ready for change :) ready for the work!

Girlfriends just asked me to Itailan dinner tomorrow night out, any ordering suggestions?

I believe steak is usually safe. Sometimes you can get a compliant grilled chicken. Steamed veggies or salad.

Eating out can be a challenge but most places will cook to your specifications. Don't be afraid to ask questions, they are used to it. So many people have food allergies these days.

Day 1 mostly done. I feel fine, but realized that I am less prepared than I thought. Some items I thought were in the pantry were not - EVOO, garlic powder. Forgot about a meeting,too. That threw off timing for my breakfast plans, but I've gotten my 3 meals in and know what I can do to get it right tomorrow! Looking forward to making mayo this weekend.

Girlfriends just asked me to Itailan dinner tomorrow night out, any ordering suggestions?

Do you know what restaurant you're going to?  Check out their menu online ahead of time!  I like to call ahead when it's not too busy and talk to a manager or someone in the kitchen about ingredients.  Usually waiters don't know and they are running back and forth and sometimes I worry if they're busy they might not even ask.  If I know ahead of time what I plan to order, it makes the whole event much more enjoyable for me.

Don't be afraid to bring your own salad dressing or coconut milk (for coffee).  I'm not a fan of plain olive oil and vinegar on my salad.

carrie - ditto snowflower on looking at the menu ahead of time! If they have a gluten-free menu, I'd start there. Usually salad (with oil/vinegar or your own dressing) or grilled meat with vegetables is the safest, but ask about cooking oils and sauces!

Day 1 done. I feel pretty good, no major cravings really, just a little...twitchy.

I already know I'm going to have a problem eating enough veggies because, well, I don't like a lot of them. I'm game to try new stuff but I'm not sure where to start. I have broccoli, green beans, and sweet potatoes ready for my cooked veggies so far, and peppers, cucumbers, snap peas and tomatoes for my raw veggies. I've made the chocolate chili and golden cauliflower soup, do those count for some of them? Anyone else not particularly a vegetable lover but found new ways to try them? I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Also, anyone else feeling that, even though it's early, you're done eating for the day so you might as well just go to bed?? Yeah, seriously thinking about that right now.

Oh, and edited to add that I totally forgot to take any pictures of what I ate on Instagram like I had planned. Oh well, tomorrow's a new day, right? 😉

Have you ever roasted vegetables? I hated Brussels sprouts with a passion until I roasted them one day in the oven and I absolutely love them now. Alittle olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper roasted in the oven for 30-40 minutes in a 400 degree oven. Yum. Asparagus is really good roasted as well. You will start to appreciate the flavored of veggies more once sugary foods are out. Get adventurous! I need to try something new as well. What are everyone's favorites?

Alrighty...slept a good 7hrs today! Woke up had 1 egg and organic brewed coffee blended with 1/2 cup coconut milk and cinnamon...worked out. Grabbed kiddos and ran some errands...snacked on a small handful of almonds and a few pieces of fresh mango...just threw together a delicious meal (this surprised me..haha) chicken (that I cooked for the week) a whole sweet potato ( also baked a few for the week) half a onion, 3 garlic cloves, broccoli cut up reall fine..sautéed together in a little coconut oil with ground pepper, sea salt and a little bit of cayeen pepper....this dish was AWESOME! And I have enough to take some to work tonight!

I had a few moments today where I have to stop myself! Today I have noticed how much I really do snack. How much I "thought" I ate healthy. I mean my husband is a paleo eater after all and We as a family try to eat like he does..but I was kinda lying to myself! Today isn't over for me BUT I feel good and confident that I will make it through the night with healthy choices! Cheer to day 1 peeps!! Hope you are all doing great as well:)

I hated basically all vegetables till I was 23. :) For me the keys have been eating in-season, local produce (I thought I hated tomatoes until I had a local one fresh from my CSA box!), and experimenting with different ways to prepare them. The Well Fed cookbooks have tons of great ideas - and yep, the cauliflower soup counts! (Personally I like the zucchini soup even better.) I don't think there are really vegetables in the chocolate chili, but sometimes I'll roast a spaghetti squash and have the chili over that with some avocado on top.

Feel ok about day one, I'm with you heidilc717 might just head to bed to avoid cravings. Thanks to all for suggestions on dining out. I looked at menu online, there are several choices that are whole30. I'll be strong and not even worry about bread and wine, I'm committed, only 29 more days

Hi Everyone!  I started yesterday too.  I am doing this more as a challenge for myself, but hoping to reap some benefits as well.  My husband has been very supportive, yet apprehensive.  We cook dinner for my in-laws on Tuesdays, and I made the Salmon Cakes recipe from "It Starts With Food."  I have to tell you - these are DELICIOUS (and easy).  My husband and father-in-law could not stop raving about them.  I made some homemade mayo on Monday, so I was able to make some tartar sauce to go with them, and some steamed green beans with olive oil, garlic powder/salt/pepper.  Little to say my husband isn't apprehensive anymore - in fact, he is looking forward to more W30 recipes!  

*Tip - I could not find canned sweet potatoes without added sugar, so I used frozen and quickly steamed them prior to adding to the Salmon mixture.  It worked out just fine. :)

mkasper, my brother was apprehensive about Whole30 too (his wife mainly drove that train :) ) but the salmon cakes from Well Fed 2 I think pushed him over the edge to enthusiasm! They're so good. I make mine with remoulade and just use a baked sweet potato.

Happy Day 2, y'all! How's everyone doing?

*Tip - I could not find canned sweet potatoes without added sugar, so I used frozen and quickly steamed them prior to adding to the Salmon mixture.  It worked out just fine. :)

Good tip! If you did want canned sweet potatoes without added sugar this is the brand I get: http://www.amazon.com/Farmers-Market-Organic-Potato-15-Ounce/dp/B000HDGIDS It's also in a BPA free can. Bonus.

First thought as I opened my eyes this morning-- sportin' a good sized headache-- "I need a diet coke!" "Need" is a strong word but accurately describes my mood at that moment. Happy to say it was a fleeting moment and I am still on track and feeling good about it (in spite of caffeine withdrawals)!

I agree with roasting vegetables. Any that are usually cooked taste their best this way, in my opinion. I make them pretty standard, too. Put everything on a foil covered baking tray, sprinkle well with garlic powder, paprika, s&p, drizzle with a little melted coconut oil (best for roasting since it's high heat), then mix really well and roast. Two of my surprise favs are the Cumin Roasted Carrots and Cocoa Cauliflower from WF. I have to stop hubs from eating them all before I take out some for myself! :)

I'm on the hunt for pasteurized eggs today. I love paleo mayo with a passion, but now that I'm pregnant, I have raw egg guilt... I've seen a few egg-less recipes for it, but I'd rather make the real stuff if I can find the eggs. I've heard you can pasteurize at home? Maybe something to check into if I can't find them. Our shops don't have the largest variety...

On another food note, I've not made the salmon cakes yet, but it's finally salmon fishing season here and I will be (fingers crossed!) making these after we go out next weekend :)

Hello everyone!

I came here looking for some support, as I am also on day two and already struggling. This is my third Whole 30 and I am in desperate need of it. My first was last October, and I lost 18 lbs, multiple inches and felt great. Unfortunately I was also knee deep in caring for my elderly MIL at home, caring for our 8 kids (6 who are still home full time) and just trying to balance being a wife and mother. I lost all momentum, overindulged after the Whole 30 was complete and have regretted it ever since. I got 2 days in a few months ago, only to falter again.

So here I am, determined as ever. I had labs drawn recently that showed a tremendous amount of inflammation. I have known fibromyalgia, arthritis, PCOS and asthma/ allergies. I have a sugar demon that is out of this world, too. :huh: I am fairly certain I am gluten intolerant and also have trouble with normal gluten substitutes. I love vegetables, thankfully.

My hubby is doing this me, which helps. We are both trying to get the kids along the way, too, though we are not as strict with them. Our baby (3) has multiple food allergies but he loves his milk, so they get to keep dairy. Our teenagers see the words "gluten free" or "organic" and assume its gross. They are our toughest challenges in the household. Still, I have to make our home environment safe to be successful on this journey, so I am already preparing myself for lots of "there is nothing to eat in this house". ;)

I had eggs for lunch (which will get old fast!) and wild caught salmon (sauteed in coconut oil) over greens with my homemade Greek dressing. I am missing my cheese the most, already. And I totally relate to the PP who said she might as well go to bed since she was "done eating" for the day! I felt that way last night, after circling through the kitchen several times. I need to buy more pistachios, some nights those were my saving grace... and cashews. I love cashews.

Almost lunch time here on day two!!  Day 1 was fine but this morning I feel "hung over".  I've been a big indulger in Diet Pepsi and all sorts of other bad stuff, so anticipated this wasn't going to be easy!  I'm determined, though.  I want the pop and sugar monkeys off my back!  If there is anyone else out there with a foggy, pounding head - we can do this!! 

Hello All! Day 1 was Monday, 5.26. I'm feeling great so far. I'm also feeling hopeful and a little bit free of the sugar demons already. Yay! Glad to have a group to tag along with for support as I am going it alone. My husband is supportive but isn't in action mode-- nor will be anytime soon. I've struggled a little with food grief, primarily at breakfast. I've prepared my breakfasts' for the week, but when morning comes I just want my coffee + cream with my carbs. But--thanks to the forums and the facebook page, I've got some new ideas ready to go. I definitely had a "last meal" attitude last weekend. But when Monday came I was ready. Now it's just putting in the work. Good luck to everyone!!!

Hello everyone!

I came here looking for some support, as I am also on day two and already struggling. This is my third Whole 30 and I am in desperate need of it. My first was last October, and I lost 18 lbs, multiple inches and felt great. Unfortunately I was also knee deep in caring for my elderly MIL at home, caring for our 8 kids (6 who are still home full time) and just trying to balance being a wife and mother. I lost all momentum, overindulged after the Whole 30 was complete and have regretted it ever since. I got 2 days in a few months ago, only to falter again.

So here I am, determined as ever. I had labs drawn recently that showed a tremendous amount of inflammation. I have known fibromyalgia, arthritis, PCOS and asthma/ allergies. I have a sugar demon that is out of this world, too. :huh: I am fairly certain I am gluten intolerant and also have trouble with normal gluten substitutes. I love vegetables, thankfully.

My hubby is doing this me, which helps. We are both trying to get the kids along the way, too, though we are not as strict with them. Our baby (3) has multiple food allergies but he loves his milk, so they get to keep dairy. Our teenagers see the words "gluten free" or "organic" and assume its gross. They are our toughest challenges in the household. Still, I have to make our home environment safe to be successful on this journey, so I am already preparing myself for lots of "there is nothing to eat in this house". ;)

I had eggs for lunch (which will get old fast!) and wild caught salmon (sauteed in coconut oil) over greens with my homemade Greek dressing. I am missing my cheese the most, already. And I totally relate to the PP who said she might as well go to bed since she was "done eating" for the day! I felt that way last night, after circling through the kitchen several times. I need to buy more pistachios, some nights those were my saving grace... and cashews. I love cashews.

We are here and you can do this!

Here are my thoughts on the kids, if it is any help... I refuse to make two dinners (I'm not organized enough lol!). It is my job to provide them with healthy food, not their favorite food all of the time. So I let them eat what they want the rest of the day and they eat a Whole 30 dinner. Yes, they whine. But my kids whine no matter what's for dinner. They rarely finish even their favorite meals because they are so busy. LOL. That being said, sometimes I make adjustments for them too. I might make sauce and serve it over spaghetti squash for myself, but let them have theirs over pasta with spaghetti squash on the side. I'll make burgers and eat mine without the bun. Not sure if its helpful or not. I do keep their snacks and treats in the house. I don't know why I won't touch it when doing a whole 30, but can't resist temptation in my normal daily life, but I can....  Hope that helps!!!! 

We are here and you can do this!

Here are my thoughts on the kids, if it is any help... I refuse to make two dinners (I'm not organized enough lol!). It is my job to provide them with healthy food, not their favorite food all of the time. So I let them eat what they want the rest of the day and they eat a Whole 30 dinner. Yes, they whine. But my kids whine no matter what's for dinner. They rarely finish even their favorite meals because they are so busy. LOL. That being said, sometimes I make adjustments for them too. I might make sauce and serve it over spaghetti squash for myself, but let them have theirs over pasta with spaghetti squash on the side. I'll make burgers and eat mine without the bun. Not sure if its helpful or not. I do keep their snacks and treats in the house. I don't know why I won't touch it when doing a whole 30, but can't resist temptation in my normal daily life, but I can....  Hope that helps!!!! 

For the most part, that is pretty much on par with us, too. Thanks for the encouragement by the way. The splitting headache I have right now is making it hard to focus on much. :(

Last night that is exactly what I did, made spaghetti sauce (organic tomato sauce, local sausage, etc) and let them have theirs over pasta while DH and I had ours of zucchini noodles. One of the biggest reasons is that I'd need to use about 10 zucchinis to feed everyone and, for some reason, I am having a hard time finding zucchini. LOL! But that was my last box of normal pasta (I think) and they will have to eat the rice & veggie pasta next time. Small steps in there that I hope they don't notice. As two of our younger kids are ADHD and ADD, I am really trying to get them off of gluten and artificial colors. Gluten free bread flopped, though, they just didn't eat their sandwiches I packed for lunch. Ugh!

I made artichoke chicken and it was SO good, though I promise a couple kiddos will turn there noses up to it. Its summertime here, so I will let them enjoy it a little bit. We are a lot more relaxed here this time of year anyone. DH is a teacher and he has two half days left, but the kids are already out. Yay! :)

Going to the Farmer's Market this weekend. Hoping there is some more squash to be had, as the grocery store is lacking lately. How hard is it for others here to source local meats & produce?

Archived