Starting Tuesday, May 27th

heidilc717

Anyone out there who is paleo forever?!  

ME!

Last summer I was on 2 medications for hypertension, on an anti-depressant, on a low-dose antibiotic for acne, on an anti-anxiety......and I'm off EVERYTHING!  I started my first Whole30 journey last July and have been living mostly paleo since (95%). Sweets, alcohol and wheat cause my blood pressure to spike so those will likely stay out of my diet forever unless I want to go back on BP medication.  Dairy makes my acne flair up so that's out.  Sweets and grains cause me to overeat (which leads to anxiety and depression) so that's out.  I love the idea of living medication-free.  

There are times in the past 10 months that I've made a choice to eat non-paleo foods or to have a glass of wine knowing the effect it'll have.  I think I can do that occasionally and manage without medication, but it's a constant learning process.....what's worth it?  What's not worth it?  

By the way....I made Nom Nom Paleo's green chicken for the first time tonight.  http://nomnompaleo.com/post/7486821187/my-sisters-phenomenal-grilled-green-chicken  It was finger licking good delicious.  AND my kids loved it too!  I'll definitely be adding this into my regular rotation.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all -  checking in with Day 3, just coming off a massive naseau-inducing migraine/headache. Started mid-way through an hour training session yesterday with what felt like a knife in my temple, and then came back full force today. Finally after a nap it is mostly gone! Anyone else have this severe of a reaction? Could be the weather changes here too....

Otherwise, still keeping strong on the eating, though admittedly not eating too much as feeling bad.

Looking forward to some nice cook-ups this weekend!

Day 3 for me...headache like crazy yesterday! Made me sick and nothing sounded good...today I woke up and feel better. I'm still in my morning phase so we will see how I feel as my day progresses! Slept good and had no pain in my hands when lifting weights today..not sure if this all goes hand in hand but I will take it! Cheer to day 3ðŸ‘

So, I have been mostly Whole 30 compliant, but traveling for work sucks (some diet iced teas got thrown into the mix and some peanuts, but nothing too detrimental). However, to be fair to myself, I am officially starting june 1st. Good Luck to everyone!!!

Call it a Whole33 if that works better for your mindset.

I like that a lot GFChris.

LindyJules, I wouldn't think of it as starting over, it's not like a race that you have to physically go back to the beginning for it to count. Besides, you'll be feeling so good by day 30, another 3 will be a piece of cake! Or, uh, a piece of fruit? ;-)

Day 3--Done!

So far, so good today. My daughter was grossed out that I was having a hunk of roast beef, sweet potatoes and spinach for breakfast, but I've always craved protein in the morning, I've just rarely been as prepared as I am now. That's been my biggest help so far, having lots of yummy food choices prepared and ready for me to grab and eat.

No major headaches so far (knock on wood) but I'm still pretty fidgety and keep feeling like I need...something. I'm surprised at how many times during the day I am distracted by the thought of something I shouldn't have. And I think it's due more to boredom than anything else. I've been starting my days with yoga and meditation, so I'm hoping that helps me make more mindful choices during the day.

Here's to a great Day 4 everyone! :)

Hello group!  Hope everyone has a good day 4!  I'm planning on grocery shopping after work today.  Need to get some things made up.  I've been eating turkey burgers and broccoli/calif. salad for the past few meals - it's not bad, but need to get a few more options in the fridge!! 

Hello All! Feeling good on day 5. I made some changes yesterday-- I ate more! Yay! I had 2 days of pretty intense workouts and I was feeling hungry. Solution= more squash/sweet potatoes, more veggies. It really helped. I also added coconut milk to my coffee, which mentally has helped me a lot. My inlaws are coming this weekend. This is a last minute trip for them and I'm a little nervous because I don't have a game plan. I think there are only 1-2 meals I am concerned about. But, I've come to far to get off track because of poor planning. So today I'm getting a plan together. 

Everyone is doing so well. I agree with  Rkrzywda, this group really helps me! Thank you. 

Hello all, Happy Day 4! I woke up this morning with the same bad headache (or migraine) I've had for the last 3 days. Got up and made some coffee and started preparing some paleo chicken nuggets (I never eat chicken nuggets so not paleo-fying food) - not sure what happened, but I now feed 3000 times better than I have!

I really need to hold on to this feeling of how good I feel eating healthy to ward off those craving dragons when (or if) they come.

I'm not sure anyone is up for it, but was considering making this a Whole 60 - I believe I need that given how hard I fell off the Whole30 wagon last year.

Here's to a healthy Day 4! Thanks to all for this great support!

I feel like I've started the day "off" and am being extra focused to avoid slipping up at all.  I didn't have time to eat breakfast at home, so I grabbed an extra chicken breast and some fruit and veggies and then ate at work.  I'm just feeling off and extra vulnerable to messing up today.  We work across the street from a grocery store so I walked over with some co-workers with the sole goal of buying some raspberries to eat with my lunch, and that's all I bought, so yay me.

I'm also feeling a headache come on and trying to fight it with lots of water before it gets too bad.  I don't know why, but I feel like getting through today may be my first real challenge since starting, which makes me all the more determined to make it through! 

How's everyone else doing today?

Really happy it's Friday! Hubs works at a school, so he's got a cleanup day today and then starts a new job Monday. I've gotten so use to his early work day that it will be strange not to see him at lunch and not until 6pm! We've got a busy weekend, so I'm going to have to work a little to fit in meals. A going away (which I was asked to make a huge cake... I ate a full meal before and I didn't do any "tasting" :) ) a fundraiser, early Father's Day activities, and some fun things like a hike with a friend and an art festival with my sister. Some seem more "food friendly" than others :) I put on some bone broth this morning, so it should be ready for tomorrow. Maybe it's because I live somewhere cold, but I really love soup!

Sorry to hear about all the headaches going on. I think mine have been baby-related, but I feel for you! It does get better :)

Hello all, Happy Day 4! I woke up this morning with the same bad headache (or migraine) I've had for the last 3 days. Got up and made some coffee and started preparing some paleo chicken nuggets (I never eat chicken nuggets so not paleo-fying food) - not sure what happened, but I now feed 3000 times better than I have!

Googling a recipe for Paleo Chicken Nuggets!!!  :)

Colleenb - I was actually a bit cheeky and got it out of a "look inside" cookbook on amazon - "OMG. That's Paleo" - it is the "Cilantro Chicken Nuggets". For the dipping sauce, I left out the honey! They were really tasty, with broccoli and half an avocado as a side!

Happy day 4, y'all! Sounds like people are doing well! On my first Whole30 today was the day I yelled at my poor innocent iPod, so I'm thankful to have so far avoided that. :)

My biggest challenge so far is that this weekend is full of bridal festivities for a friend, including dinner at a Puerto Rican restaurant, probably a karaoke bar, and me helping to host a shower for her on Sunday for which I volunteered weeks ago to make desserts and fruit tea! I'm not worried, but it's not exactly the best timing. I anticipate a snack followed by a pretty boring restaurant dinner tomorrow. That's one thing about Whole30 - eating out is way less fun because the compliant food is rarely as good as what I make!

I'd like to follow you guys!  Today is day 3 for me.  I started on the 28th, but you guys are a very active group and I love hearing how everyone else is doing.  I eased into the whole30 for the last 3 weeks so it hasn't been too hard yet other than I keep catching myself about to taste or take bites of my kids or husband's food without thinking.

Well I guess I am going for the Whole 33, too! <_< My hubby took me down with him last night with the celebratory "school year is over, let's have a glass of wine"... of course, we walked to the restaurant and then it started pouring rain, so we had a few more glasses. The good news is that we stuck with the plan pretty well otherwise (I think there may have been some dairy in the avocado dip and I did have a couple potato cubes). Neither of us dove into any sweets or anything and we ignored the bread on the table, so that was some good in it all. It wasn't our normal place to dine and they didn't even have unsweet tea, so I drank water. Welcome to the south, folks.

I already told him we were still moving forward, but we'd throw a few extra days on the end to get our WHOLE 30 in. ;)

I did get into a CSA (yay!) and get our first box next week, so we are going to the farmer's market tomorrow. I have pork loin chops out for supper and I will probably steam some broccoli and cauliflower.

I hope everyone else is doing better than I've done. :unsure:

Today is a very challenging day! No slip ups but many temptations..I have not eaten enough food today. I have nothing planned tonight for dinner. This is my turnaround day for working graves...im writing this while sitting with my kiddos at a pizza joint before we head to soccer. Like I said lots of temptations on little sleep...no bueno! BUT I'm not giving in! I would like for day 4 to be over with already! Happy day 4!

I'm still in. I'm disappointed that just a tiny bit of gluten will push me out 3 days. It will mean that I cannot be as methodical in my return to normal eating as I'd hoped. We have travel plans beginning on day 33. Guess I'll have to do it again after we get back. :-) Feeling great so far on day 4! (Maybe it was the Cheerios ;-) )

Archived