Blood testing for deficiencies?

GreenThumbGal

I'm on day 11 of my first Whole30. A little tired, but feeling great!

A few times recently I've noticed some twitching under my eye, which I read can be attributed to magnesium deficiency. So I've been trying to eat a handful of almonds each day and try to incorporate more leafy greens. But it got me thinking...should I get tested for other potential deficiencies? Maybe I have other issues I don't even know about. Would it make sense to do that toward the end of my Whole30? Or wait until after I'm done and go through reintroduction?

I'm pretty healthy - no gut complaints, no diagnosed sensitivities, just acne (mostly hormonal) and some eczema that has cropped up in the past year.

Has anyone else had this kind of testing? Did it provide valuable information? (Honestly I don't even know what it's called or where to get it!)

• Moderators

We do not encourage testing. I realize that some health professionals make their living from such work, but honestly, I don't think there is any value in going that route. 

There are 1000s of books and professionals whose approach would have you drinking this tea, taking that supplement times 50 to achieve wellness. Such a parsed approach is foolish. Eat Whole30-style with good variety and you will achieve wellness. 

Dark leafy greens can easily supply the magnesium you need, but you could supplement with Natural Calm to make sure you are topped up. I eat a large volume of kale, chard, spinach, etc. but like the sedating effect of Natural Calm, so take it before bed every night. 

Thanks, Tom for your reply. I had to chuckle a little at the "sedating effect" - I think for the past two weeks I've fallen asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow! I guess maybe I'm still working my way though the carb flu.

I get your point about cherry-picking nutrients. It's overwhelming to say the least. I have been using some individual supplements for the past few months to help control hormonal acne (DIM, milk thistle, burdock root) and fish oil + probiotics to hopefully relieve some mild eczema. They definitely have helped. Hopefully Whole30 will be the key I've been missing to reach full healing.

I'll keep trying to keep up the variety in my diet and hopefully will cover all the bases.

• 2 months later...

Well, if you are sure you are Magnesuim deficient then why don't you consider taking health supplements? I suggest there are little bottles of spray which delivers Magnesium orally. Take rest and you'll be okay. By the way, I'm new and very eager to try Whole30. :P

Archived