Getting disappointed

I know, I cheated by getting on the scale today at day 22.  I'm going through PMS and for the past few days feel that I'm not getting anywhere.  I've been doing high intensity interval training for 6 days/week now for 18 days also, so I expected a bit more. 

Feeling bummed out, I weighed myself.  I've only lost 4 pounds and I don't know where I went wrong. I've been by the book with meals, I stopped snacking as much as I used to (I'm still breastfeeding, so I added a little meal here and there, but not every day), I'm exercising, and nada.  I'm not overweight, but I'm a little heavier than what I should be for my height (I've had 3 kids, and before my 3rd child, I was a size 2 and 120lbs).  After my 3rd, I was 128 and then went up to 140 in 2 years.  I can't get rid of the last few pounds!! I was 136.4 when I started this on May 1st, and today I am 132.2. 

I have positive results elsewhere, like; sleep, skin, etc.  My first reaction today was to screw this all and go binge eating. ( I haven't.). I'm willing to go for my last 8 days still, but I'm sure I'll be disappointed again when I weigh myself on the 30th. 

Thank you for listening. 

First, breathe.  :)

Second, please please please hide that scale until you're done.

Dropping 4 pounds in 3 weeks is nothing to sneeze at, along with all the other benefits you're experiencing - you have many positives happening for you. 

Took a quick peek at your log.  Overall, meals look good. One opportunity for improvement is your snacks: I recommend dropping the clif bars and nuts.  Are you having pre/post WO fuel for those 6 weekly workouts?  If not, perhaps that's why you're finding the need to snack? I suggest adding at least the post WO fuel of a protein and carb and if you still find yourself hungry between meals, have a mini meal containing a protein and fat.

If you haven't seen this article floating around the forum yet, have a read.  It beautifully illustrates why the number on the scale can be meaningless.

HIIT is not meant to be done that many workouts per week, AND you are breastfeeding. If your body feels stressed because you are not taking in enough calories, it is going to be counterproductive for you. You do not want your body in a state of stress.

"Only" 4 pounds...? Well we are not supposed to weigh ourselves, this is all about creating new habits, but a healthy rate to lose weight *and keep it off* is 1-2 pounds per week. Personally I think you should re-evaluate all your reasons for doing a Whole 30. Really think on it. Because if you are going to end this feeling discouraged & bingeing, going back to your old habits, etc, then you are going to be right back where you started and maybe even worse off. That is called yo-yo dieting, and every time we do it, it makes things a little harder and a little harder to get where you want to be. The Whole 30 is meant to break that cycle. Which would you rather have: weight that comes off slowly but in a healthy manner and so it stays off? Or weight that comes off quickly and is impossible to maintain?

HIIT is not meant to be done that many workouts per week, AND you are breastfeeding. If your body feels stressed because you are not taking in enough calories, it is going to be counterproductive for you. You do not want your body in a state of stress.

"Only" 4 pounds...? Well we are not supposed to weigh ourselves, this is all about creating new habits, but a healthy rate to lose weight *and keep it off* is 1-2 pounds per week. Personally I think you should re-evaluate all your reasons for doing a Whole 30. Really think on it. Because if you are going to end this feeling discouraged & bingeing, going back to your old habits, etc, then you are going to be right back where you started and maybe even worse off. That is called yo-yo dieting, and every time we do it, it makes things a little harder and a little harder to get where you want to be. The Whole 30 is meant to break that cycle. Which would you rather have: weight that comes off slowly but in a healthy manner and so it stays off? Or weight that comes off quickly and is impossible to maintain?

I'm following the Bikini Body Mommy 90 day challenge. She has HIIT and cardio on mixed days, Sunday being the break day.  I just does what she does because she toted the best results :mellow: .  My friend did the first 90 day challenge and lost all of her baby weight, so I decided to try it.  I'm an active person to begin with, and that doesn't include chasing 3 kids...lol.  I do Zumba, yoga, and U Jam at the community center, plus daily walking. 

My eating before this was paleo, but not strict.  My only bad habits were paleo desserts and a bag of jellybeans here and there.  I intend of resuming paleo with a lot less baking after my Whole30 is done. 

I love the new habits I have formed now.  I feel great inside and my energy has gone up.  Obviously something in my diet before (like the pastries) was making me sluggish. I'm creating foods that I've never made before, and it makes me feel good.  PMS is triggering my sugar craving, and I'm bloating. I feel like crap.

I went into Whole30 hoping for the "fix".  I suffer from food allergies, and in these 22 days, I feel amazing from the food elimination.  I feel the new choices healing my body. I haven't had migraines, rashes, hives, reflux... nothing. I haven't had to take any medication.   My anxiety has gone down, I sleep better, my skin is glowing and clear. I NEEDED those things.  Of course, the highlight of losing weight was appealing to me also. But,  I didn't go into this ONLY for the weight loss...I needed the reset. 

I'm not narcissistic,  but yeah, I would like to shed a few more pounds to match my insides. 

First, breathe.  :)

Second, please please please hide that scale until you're done.

Dropping 4 pounds in 3 weeks is nothing to sneeze at, along with all the other benefits you're experiencing - you have many positives happening for you. 

Took a quick peek at your log.  Overall, meals look good. One opportunity for improvement is your snacks: I recommend dropping the clif bars and nuts.  Are you having pre/post WO fuel for those 6 weekly workouts?  If not, perhaps that's why you're finding the need to snack? I suggest adding at least the post WO fuel of a protein and carb and if you still find yourself hungry between meals, have a mini meal containing a protein and fat.

If you haven't seen this article floating around the forum yet, have a read.  It beautifully illustrates why the number on the scale can be meaningless.

Sometimes I don't eat a pre or post snack :(.  Today I worked out before even my coffee, and ate breakfast after I dropped my boys off at school.  If I eat too early, I find myself snacking.  So far today I haven't felt the need to grab something, but it's still early (3 hours before dinner). 

I know this doesn't help,  but the clif bars and nuts were going with me to Disneyland this weekend as snacks :(

• Moderators

I never lost more than 2 pounds per month when I started Whole30-style eating, so I don't have even a little bit of sympathy for your complaint that you only lost 4 pounds in 22 days. Not even a little bit!

Just because an exercise program is professionally marketed to mothers wanting to lose weight does not mean the program is best for your health. Your body becomes more conservative when kept under stress and weight comes off more slowly rather than faster. If some of the 6 days are really easy days, you might be okay, but nursing and training hard 6 days per week is too stressful. It has taken me years of going at things the hard way to learn that doing more is not an optimal choice and can ruin lasting success. Just think about it.

I never lost more than 2 pounds per month when I started Whole30-style eating, so I don't have even a little bit of sympathy for your complaint that you only lost 4 pounds in 22 days. Not even a little bit!

Just because an exercise program is professionally marketed to mothers wanting to lose weight does not mean the program is best for your health. Your body becomes more conservative when kept under stress and weight comes off more slowly rather than faster. If some of the 6 days are really easy days, you might be okay, but nursing and training hard 6 days per week is too stressful. It has taken me years of going at things the hard way to learn that doing more is not an optimal choice and can ruin lasting success. Just think about it.

Do you think that I overdid it?  I thought that by combining the challenge with Whole30 would provide the best results.  The challenge is for 90 days, and I grappled with doing these two at the same time before May 1st.  But since the trainer was starting a few days after I started Whole30, I thought it would work.  The sessions are very short - 20 minutes or less.  She totes her own meal plan that participants can follow.  I chose not to. 

http://bikinibodymommy.com/

• Moderators

20 minutes or less per day are probably okay.

I actually train about 20 minutes per day five days per week, but I would not call what I do intense. I rest between sets. If I did not rest, I might finish in 15 minutes. Here is my latest program: http://www.tomdenham.com/2014/05/too-hot-to-get-up/

I am feeling a little the same. I have been sticking to this very closely. The only mistake I may have made would be a pickle! I am not feeling the tiger blood that I was craving. I am also on day 22. I have more gusto but really still out of steam by 8:30. Maybe it will just take my body longer?!?! I may need a whole 45!

20 minutes or less per day are probably okay.

I actually train about 20 minutes per day five days per week, but I would not call what I do intense. I rest between sets. If I did not rest, I might finish in 15 minutes. Here is my latest program: http://www.tomdenham.com/2014/05/too-hot-to-get-up/

Phew.... that is quite a workout!  I'm definitely not a weight trainer, for sure!  

Her program is 1 minute exercise, 1 minute (or 30 seconds) rest intervals.  It's up to 8 exercises per session, some with warm up and cool down, up to 20 minutes.  

I'm following the Bikini Body Mommy 90 day challenge. She has HIIT and cardio on mixed days, Sunday being the break day.  I just does what she does because she toted the best results :mellow: .  My friend did the first 90 day challenge and lost all of her baby weight, so I decided to try it.  I'm an active person to begin with, and that doesn't include chasing 3 kids...lol.  I do Zumba, yoga, and U Jam at the community center, plus daily walking. 

My eating before this was paleo, but not strict.  My only bad habits were paleo desserts and a bag of jellybeans here and there.  I intend of resuming paleo with a lot less baking after my Whole30 is done. 

I love the new habits I have formed now.  I feel great inside and my energy has gone up.  Obviously something in my diet before (like the pastries) was making me sluggish. I'm creating foods that I've never made before, and it makes me feel good.  PMS is triggering my sugar craving, and I'm bloating. I feel like crap.

I went into Whole30 hoping for the "fix".  I suffer from food allergies, and in these 22 days, I feel amazing from the food elimination.  I feel the new choices healing my body. I haven't had migraines, rashes, hives, reflux... nothing. I haven't had to take any medication.   My anxiety has gone down, I sleep better, my skin is glowing and clear. I NEEDED those things.  Of course, the highlight of losing weight was appealing to me also. But,  I didn't go into this ONLY for the weight loss...I needed the reset. 

I'm not narcissistic,  but yeah, I would like to shed a few more pounds to match my insides.

Read this again to yourself to really see how good you feel. You said it all here. Breastfeeding makes your body hold onto fat also. Stay on track, feel good and keep on truckin'!

Yeah, I was not a breastfeeding weight loser. My body held on to those pounds. Probably didn't help that I wasn't feeding it optimally.

If you are used to not giving your body what it needs, or you aren't sleeping well you probably will need an adjustment period. The body will heal what it needs to heal first. Maybe that's your adrenals or maybe it's sorting out your hormonal feedback or what have you.

This is also why you HIDE THE SCALE for 30 days! If you hadn't weighed yourself you'd be focusing on the decrease anxiety and the mental benefits. :) I know it's hard to let go of the scale as the master and judge but it's one of the best benefits of the w30. Let yourself feel what it's like to NOT use the scale as the end-all be-all.

Archived