Blacking Out?

I am on day 23. A few times over the last few days or so, I have suddenly felt lightheaded and had my vision fade to black, then come right back. Any ideas what could be causing this? Maybe a nutrient I am missing? I think I am eating enough.

I don't have a food log, because I didn't see a reason to (until now!) by I generally eat:

breakfast: banana, 3 eggs with spinach, mushrooms, onions.

lunch: leftovers from dinner or chicken and veggies (like snap peas, broccoli or green beans)

dinner: always a handful of meat and a ton of veggies. sometimes an apple or nuts if I'm still hungry

late: If we eat an early dinner and I'm up late, I may get legitimately hungry and have another serving of dinner, or some nuts, carrots, or an apple.

I am a nursing mother. I don't exercise other than to chase the kids.

Thank you!

Have you searched the forum for breast feeding moms? They eat 5-6 meals a day. It is not clear how much fat you are eating and it doesn't look like you are eating enough starchy veggies. I would eat more sweet potatoes, beets, squash, carrots, etc. at every meal and add more fat at every meal. You may want to see a doctor if this happens again. Good Luck!

Wow, 5-6 meals is a lot! My LO is nearly a year, though, and eating lots of table food, so I'm not sure if I need to be eating quite that much? I'm usually happy with four meals. It doesn't happen necessarily when I'm especially hungry....

I do eat a lot of carrots, but not the other ones. Does Olive Oil count as fat? And nuts? I do eat both of those every day. And the fat that comes in meats. (I mean, I drain the juices bc I don't buy organic, but the steaks and pork tenderloin have still had plenty of fat)

I don't think you need 5-6 meals a day, perhaps a mini meal in addition to your 3 meals (and that should be protein and fat not fruit and nuts). 

Nuts and olive oil do count as fats, but you should keep nuts to a minimum. You want at least 2 added fats in your meals and closer to 1.5-2 palm sizes of protein if you are nursing. Blacking out is not normal and definitely screams not enough food. I agree with Tina about adding more starchy vegetables (other than carrots) as well as more protein and fat. 

I second the 3 meals + a mini meal if you need.  Also I get light headed/dizzy if I don't eat enough salt.  Remember you are not eating processed foods as much anymore - so don't skimp out on the salt!  (Your body needs salt)

Like Carlaccini, I would also recommend making sure you're getting enough salt...I had a few similar light-headed, quick fade to black experiences (which freaked me out!) during my first whole30 and adding salt to my eggs every morning put a stop to them!

Archived