Start date May 25th scared stiff.

Have tried tons of diets but due to stomach allergies (Gluten and more) I was introduced to whole30 for a healthy beginning. I am scared cause I can never commit to anything like this without failing. But I pray I can with a little help from my friends (and family). So any advice would be great.

I'm starting on May 25 too! Hope to see you on these boards and follow each other's progress. Maybe establish a little bit of the "buddy system"

I am doing this because I want to cut my cravings/addiction to processed garbage, including soda, chips, cookies. I have a toddler and I want her to see a healthy mom who isn't going up and down the scale.

Let's just take it a day at a time. I think if we're prepared with the right food in the house, we'll do great. I'm doing my first big trip to the store tonight to get stocked up. What about you?

You'll probably get good advice from a lot of other people. For what it's worth, here's mine:

1. Overprepare. Use the anxiety as energy to research, gather support (glad your family and friends are in there with you; and these forums are great for that), start shopping wisely, cleaning out your pantry, collecting recipes. If it feels like you're going into battle, then ride into it inside the biggest, baddest tank you can find.

2.  Lower the risk. If the fear is really that great, ease into it. Break it up into doable, achievable stages and take those steps first before plunging into Whole30. In my case, I was eating Paleo for many, many months before I attempted my Whole30. It really helped.

3. I know it's hard, but try not to think about this as a test of your character. Certainly it's a challenge, but try to see it as potential rather than pitfall. If you stumble, it doesn't mean you failed; It means you got a certain distance, then had to stop. Gather yourself, then continue on. If you keep trying, you haven't failed.

Good luck!

I'm starting on the 25th too! I've spent today meal planning and reading a lot and I'm feeling really prepared. You can do it! Take it a day at a time - hell, even a meal at a time if you need to. Good luck :)

I also started today, the 25th.  It wasn't my intention, although it was my hope.  I've been trying but I wasn't mentally in it until yesterday morning when it all started.  I'm officially 24 hours in.  Right now that's huge for me. 

I'm looking forward to getting back on track and eating the way that makes me feel really good physically and mentally.  

I am already starting to feel the detox set in and I haven't been to the shops yet so I'm getting my list out and PLANNING for the best.

Hope you are all going well.  :)

The biggest thing I learned was to make sure I have some really delicious choices for meals.  Also, to always have a few quick and easy go to meals.  I highly recommend the Well Fed 1 and 2 cookbooks, and Nom Nom Paleo cookbook.  Don't be afraid of fat, it satisfies, and keeps you full enough to resist junk.  Pay attention when you eat, eat mindfully.  

One thing I also noticed.  I'd cook something, sit down to eat and think "this is delicious".  About two weeks in, I realized that I never had the thought "this is delicious" about a potato chip, or a can of soda, or a peanut butter cup.  Then when coworkers were eating that kind of stuff I didn't even feel a pang, because it really isn't delicious.  This has carried over post Whole 30.  I finished last Friday and that has become a mantra for me, is it delicious?  If it isn't, it isn't worth experimenting with adding it back or even eating on a special occasion.

Sending good vibes.

Have plenty of meals made ahead so you don't get stuck with few choices.

I fought it in the beginning, but have fun...do the cooking, make the mayo.

You get to the point that tasting all of those fresh veggies without a lot of sauce is amazing.

The way I feel after I eat is amazing. I never lack energy after I eat like I used to.

I'm planning on starting my first official whole 30 in June.

READ EVERY LABEL including salt...yep, salt, chicken broth, garlic powder...I'm still overwhelmed at the stuff they sneak into our food!

here's to how great you're going to feel in the matter of two weeks.

MamaMiki

I started yesterday (May 26) so I'm a day behind you.  I've never done this before and it's a little intimidating, I agree!  This morning I realized most of my vitamins have sugar in them...so I'm taking fewer vitamins for the moment. 

So far, so good, but I'm sure it will get much harder.  Hang in there!

Archived