Extended Road Trip and cooking in hotel rooms

Adagio

We are embarking on a very long (2 months?) extended road trip this fall for work. We have stealth cooked in hotel rooms many times, I haven't done Whole30 on the road before. I know what shelf-stable goods to pack, no problem.

This time around we will NOT have access to good supermarket shopping for proteins or a microwave at one location. The second location will be fine for food foraging.

We have two appliances that we use on the road.

Rice Cooker and Steamer (my husband eats rice)

Multi use electric pan

We have prepared hard-boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, bacon, grilled chicken, grilled burgers, and chili in these applicances.

Since we both love baked potatoes (hubby eats white, I eat sweet) I had a question: I've never tried to steam bake a sweet potato in a steamer. Was wondering if anyone tried steam-baking tubers, and how did it turned out? I also have silicone baking cups and a silicone cake pan that I bring with me to use in the steamer and grill.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated! This trip is going to be a huge challenge!!!

Wow, 2 months that is quite a trip!

While I have never used an electric pan to steam sweet potatoes, I have used my double boiler with the steamer pot and it works really well. I usually peel them and cut them into chunks and then steam. I imagine you could steam them in the rice cooker, but I have never used one even for rice so I have no idea what I'm talking about in that regard. :rolleyes:

I utilized frozen shrimp on my last trip as a source of protein and I thought it was a nice change from eggs and tuna! I wish I had thought of bringing our electric skillet, it definitely would have come in handy.

I can't answer your steamed sweet potato question but would suggest adding smoked salmon to your protein list (and tuna, although that may be on your shelf-stable list). We just returned from a month-long road trip and ordered some foods from Amazon to be delivered to us as we traveled (they have a good price on the BPA-free, low mercury wild tuna we prefer, and a decent price on canned coconut milk). Hope that helps!

I can't answer your steamed sweet potato question but would suggest adding smoked salmon to your protein list (and tuna, although that may be on your shelf-stable list). We just returned from a month-long road trip and ordered some foods from Amazon to be delivered to us as we traveled (they have a good price on the BPA-free, low mercury wild tuna we prefer, and a decent price on canned coconut milk). Hope that helps!

I have had food delivered to me from amazon while traveling for business, lol.

I buy my tuna from amazon. I'll add smoked salmon to the list.

The first place we are going is literally in the middle of nowhere. The closest Walmart is 90 minutes away, if that gives you a clue.

The second place is Durango, CO, so no problems finding food there.

Thanks!

Can you get a hot pot like the ones college students use (at least back in the 80s we all had them) and boil the sweet potato? Cut into large chunks that might work. If it gets too soft, a little ghee and cinnamon mashed with it would be yummy.

Not necessarily this one, but one like this maybe?

http://www.amazon.co...eywords=hot+pot

See my other comment. I discovered you can bake potatoes in a crock pot.

Thanks!

Wow, 2 months that is quite a trip!

While I have never used an electric pan to steam sweet potatoes, I have used my double boiler with the steamer pot and it works really well. I usually peel them and cut them into chunks and then steam. I imagine you could steam them in the rice cooker, but I have never used one even for rice so I have no idea what I'm talking about in that regard. :rolleyes:

I utilized frozen shrimp on my last trip as a source of protein and I thought it was a nice change from eggs and tuna! I wish I had thought of bringing our electric skillet, it definitely would have come in handy.

Yeah, the travel is for my hubby's work. I go along so he can have decent meals, lol.

I don't eat shrimp, but I'll forage for whatever decent proteins I can find, thanks!

Archived