Feeling discouraged/ Memorial Day anxiety

I'm on day 18 of my Whole 30.  I've been almost entirely compliant aside from a few slips of trace ingredients that I missed (I know technically that implies a restart, but I've decided the amounts were small enough and it was an honest mistake).  I haven't really noticed much change and it's getting disappointing. My pants are definately not any looser, if anything I've noticed my stomach looks bigger.  I have noticed a little thinning out of my arms, but unfortunately that's not where I wanted to lose at all.  I haven't felt any real burst of energy either.  The one upside that I have seen is that my skin is much clearer so that has been nice.  

Adding on to these feelings is a very non "Whole 30" Memorial Day coming up.  I have a dairy/dessert laden bridal shower to attend, followed by a BBQ lunch by the best chef I know, and a very formal wedding at night.  I have no idea how I am going to last through one of these events, nonetheless 3!  In addition I have been getting flack from family members as to why I am continuing with this.  They think I am depriving myself and don't understand why I am doing it at all (I am 5' and weigh under 100 lbs).  So I am not feeling very encouraged at all and need some motivation!  I am considering counting tomorrow as a cheat day and just moving forward from there...

Sarah, I'm sorry you are feeling conflicted. I have some feedback for you and know it all comes from a place of desiring the best W30 for you.

First at your height and weight you shouldn't really be too concerned with weight loss. Body composition changes are probably more in order for you and for that you need to do strength training and proper fueling if you are not already. As far as where those changes happen that is up to your body and not really controllable by you.

What were the trace ingredients you slipped on? Some we don't require a restart for others we do. For the ones we do this isn't to be mean it is to ensure these common gut disrupters are out of your system for 30 straight days. You would be surprised how little of something can cause a reaction. 

On the energy issue, are you eating enough? Are you getting good fat and starchy vegetables? Without knowing what your food, sleep, stress, and activity is like it is hard to troubleshoot that.

Memorial Day sounds tricky but it is doable. My advice would be to eat before each of these events so if there is no compliant food you won't be tempted. I know that sounds no fun but it will probably be worth it. None of the stuff presented at these events is going to disappear off the planet and you can choose to have it in 30 days if you like. There are no cheat days in a Whole30. If you decide to ditch your Whole30 tomorrow than you should start again on day 1. That is your decision to make. 

For your family members - what are your reasons for doing a Whole30? I find knowing what my reasons are helps me deal with the second guessers and that haters especially if I know my reasons are good ones. 

This is a good blog post for you to read that might help: http://whole30.com/2014/01/do-you-really-want-to-quit/

I don't care if I actually lose weight on the scale.  But I am hoping to get rid of this belly fat that I've been carrying my whole life, even at under 100 lbs.  I am looking for the body composition change but I just don't see any yet.  And I do think my belly looks bigger!  Any reason for that?  Any strength training exercises that you recommend?

My slip up was eating tomato sauce that had sugar amongst the last ingredients.  A very similar can didn't have any, so I somehow missed that this one did.  I do think I'm eating enough, I follow the template, and I don't think I'm cutting corners.  I am going to try to compile a 3 day food log, maybe you can let me know?  I sleep about 7-8 hours a night,  try to exercise 3 times a week (dance classes, strength training classes, kickboxing).

Sugar slip ups don't require restarts. What you might really just need is to keep moving forward. The timeline is a general experience but everyone is different. Seeing what you are eating can help me see if there are food tweeks you need to make, but you just might need more time.

Archived