Less Food Wastage

GlennR

The more I do this, the less food I waste. I used to toss out a lot of food due to spoilage, but nowadays, almost everything gets eaten. When I make mayo, it's gone before the expiration date. When I have a handful of leftover ground beef, not enough for a meal, it goes in tomorrow's breakfast scramble. Anyone else experiencing this, too?

One more benefit of this program!

This is true for me too. In fact, I use up the leftovers so fast that I often have to rethink my meal plans. We go through fresh veggies much faster, and I never throw anything away. If anything, we run out of food before shopping day...I still haven't got a handle on how much to buy!

• Moderators

I come home from the farm on Saturdays with a load of veggies. My goal is to finish all of them before the next Saturday. Some weeks, I find myself avoiding eating out so I can use the last of my greens by Friday night. How about that excuse. "No, I don't want to eat out. I have some kale in the crisper I want to use up."

Haha! I'm the same about eating out! I prep and cook early in the week and knowing I have such good dishes to eat at home I opt to skip the restaurants! And I was QUEEN of happy hour appetizers and eating out!

I'm the same way!! I think it's a combination of the time and money I spend making things from scratch with high-quality ingredients. I don't throw out anything. Some of my meals look weird when I piece together my leftovers: half a salmon cake, a sliver of meatza, cole slaw, sweet potato hash and a handful of sugar snap peas. I find I'm much less picky now.

Archived