Respect for lone w30ers

Joolz65

I am on day 23 and have found it reasonably easy.....until yesterday! My husband has taken the kids away for a couple of days so I can finish my final assignment for this years Open University. I generally cook from scratch and we all eat together around a table apart from lunch. When I've been on my own before I wouldn't eat to feed myself but eat to stop myself feeling hungry, so it would be quick rubbish from the freezer or cupboard.  I would also eat chocolate in the evening as comfort food.

Obviously both of those were out of the question this weekend but the thought of all that prep for one seemed a bit too much fuss. I did, however, go through all that fuss just for me and enjoyed my food. There is something about preparing and sharing though, that turns every meal into an occasion rather than just food. I am not sure I could have got this far without my family.

I am single, and for me it would be the opposite.  LOL!  I would be afraid that my family would not want to be on board and it would be too hard to stick to while everybody else was eating "forbidden" foods.  I like not having to justify my choices to anyone else.

For me, it can get very boring cooking for just myself. I typically cook up enough food for a week of lunches on Sunday. Sometimes I'll cook up enough for dinner also.

It can get very boring and I wish that I had someone around to give me the challenge to cook other things.

I agree with you, whail81!  It's funny.  When I lived at home, I cooked a ton for my family and really enjoyed it.  

Now, with Whole30, it's odd to spend so much time cooking for just me.  I still make a ton and freeze things...  :)

My family/friends and I know each other well enough that I can say.. "Okay this is what's for dinner, if you aren't happy with it, please go cook something else for yourself or feel free to go out and grab something but please eat it before coming back to the house, especially fast food."

May sound rude, but I don't have the finances to feed everyone differently and I am working on my will power to resist junky food.

Yeah, I'm the opposite. I generally most enjoy the meals I eat alone! I'm home with two small kids, husband leaves before they are up and gets home usually after bedtime. I'll sometimes eat dinner with the kids (and I should do it nightly for the social aspects of eating together as well as the health aspects of eating earlier) but more often I'll eat with my husband, who definitely doesn't w30--but who eats what I cook. :)

A few days prepping and eating meals alone in peace and quiet sounds like a dream come true. Then again most of my meals are very simple and I enjoy them that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Sharon, I'm the same way! If you don't like what I'm cooking, that's fine, but don't complain and you can feed yourself. 

I like cooking for myself, or for friends and family. No matter how many I cook for, I always eat at the table. If I'm eating alone, it means more reading time. :D If I have friends or family with me, it means good conversation. Win - win. 

Archived