Learn from others (sneaky not-W30 foods)

Emily

Can someone please clarify. I know sulfites are a no-no, but on my balsamic bottle if they don't specify if they are naturally occurring and aren't listed on the ingredients, what should I assume? I believe that must mean they aren't added in, right? Just says elsewhere(not ingredients) contains sulfites.

Help

Can someone please clarify. I know sulfites are a no-no, but on my balsamic bottle if they don't specify if they are naturally occurring and aren't listed on the ingredients, what should I assume? I believe that must mean they aren't added in, right? Just says elsewhere(not ingredients) contains sulfites.

Help

I think it would be best to find one that says naturally occurring - I've read of other people having issues!

I bought prawns (shrimp) the other night with sulfites - didn't eat them luckily! Now I'm in a predicament though - these were local prawns, in the freezer of a seafood shop. How do I know fresh ones aren't the same?!? I haven't eaten any, just curious!

Help

If not listed in the ingredients list, they are naturally occurring.  That's fine on Whole30.  If it says "contains sulfites" (and not in the ingredient list) that's your cue that the balsamic is OK for Whole30.

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

I thought the sulfites in vinegar were naturally occurring, therefore, allowed.

Depends on the vinegar. Some, especially cheaper ones, will add sulfites -- those are not okay. They will list sulfites in the ingredient list. Others will have naturally occurring sulfites, and those will say, contains sulfites or contains naturally occurring sulfites.

Yes, getting tripoed up unintentionally is the pits. Here's my list.

Soy in vegetable broth in packaged (like canned) salmon.

Kimchi I made and forgot the recipe included sugar.

Dumpling wrapper - i made compliant filling thinking I could just eat the filling. Then my kids wrapped all the dumplings and I was enthusiastic that they helped and ate.

Olives with red wine in the marinade.

Roasted nuts bought in bulk (roasted with non compliant oils).

It amused me to find out the following:

My Heinz Yellow Mustard had off-plan stuff in it (sugar, and some form of wheat, I think)

My French's Yellow Mustard was fine

My Pace Mild Salsa was off-plan (it had sugar)

My Pace Medium Salsa was fine (amazing the difference within the same BRAND of salsa)

My Pam cooking spray had soy lecithin (I've since found a replacement non-aerosol spray that is pure EVOO)

Every SINGLE. FRICKIN'. CAN. of full-fat coconut milk I've found (whether labled in English or in Korean) has some sort of sulfite.  The one can I found with only coconut and water was not full-fat.  BIG SAD FACE.

I've completely abandoned my canned tuna in oil because I suspect there is soy (the label is in Korean and it's not worth translating to me).

Cheers,

-Lauren (GGG)

• 2 weeks later...

My Heinz Yellow Mustard had off-plan stuff in it (sugar, and some form of wheat, I think)

My French's Yellow Mustard was fine

My Pace Mild Salsa was off-plan (it had sugar)

My Pace Medium Salsa was fine (amazing the difference within the same BRAND of salsa)

Thanks for that! I use Pace Medium and was wondering about it--don't have a label to check now. It would be great if I could keep using it. And I'll know to stick to French's mustard.

I just checked my favorite tea bags--Twinings English Breakfast--and according the their website it only contains tea. Thank goodness!

I did see that my favorite little snack packs of cashews (Emerald brand) contains peanut oil, darn it. But their "natural almonds" is just almonds so I'll stick with those.

It's good to keep hunting these things down!

Archived