My first Whole30!

GEP91

Today is Day 1 of my first Whole30 ever! I originally planned to do it alone, but my partner volunteered to do it with me as well. This was a great surprise. I assumed if I wanted him to try it it would take a lot of persuading. 

Anyway, a little about me. I'm 23 years old and just finished my first year of graduate school, my second (and final) year officially starts tomorrow. Yikes! I'm a full-time student and currently work part-time. My relationship with food in the past has been kind of rocky. I developed disordered eating habits at a pretty young age and began obsessing with the number on the scale when I was 11 or so. When I left for college, moving away from my diet-obsessed mother helped a lot. I haven't weighed myself since I was 18 and I don't see myself ever going back to doing so. Both my weight and relationship with food was stable throughout undergrad, but upon my senior year I realized I didn't know what I wanted to do with my life anymore and hated the major I had chosen to pay thousands of dollars to learn about. Ultimately, I made the right decision and chose a graduate program that is right for me...but that entire process was really stressful for me and I gained a lot of weight. Then grad school started and my schedule is everything but normal...and I gained more weight. I used to eat much healthier than I do now, and felt much better than I do now. I have fallen into some really bad eating and drinking habits that leave me feeling physically and mentally shitty. 

That will be one of my biggest challenges: school. Luckily, I am only taking one summer course during this Whole30 so my schedule won't be as crazy as it has been. I think being prepared will be the key to success for me, especially when going to class and work. I am used to going to work at 8 AM for several hours, and then going straight to class until 8 at night. Being unprepared during those days is AWFUL. Lucky for me, my partner works at a natural foods store and gets a 20% discount, and a lot of the time he gets stuff for free..sometimes Whole30 compliant foods! This is awesome because I am a typical broke graduate student and have accumulated $50,000 (and more coming!) in loans so far that I will have to repay within the next year. 

Breakfast is the biggest "problem" meal for us, so I have prepared a breakfast casserole (found here: http://onceamonthmeals.com/paleo-sweet-potato-sausage-breakfast-casserole/) for the week. I also made the popular chocolate chili that everyone is talking about and I'm excited to try it this afternoon! 

After my year of crappy eating habits I have begun getting headaches throughout the day, sometimes wake up feeling nauseous (not pregnant or hungover), don't sleep well, and have low energy throughout most of the day. I especially hope to see improvements in my energy level, as school requires a lot of mental "work". I'm in a clinical mental health counseling program, so I am doing classes and practicing therapy..both of which can be mentally exhausting. Overall, I hope that the Whole30 helps me feel better physically and mentally, and I am excited to kick these bad habits I have developed. 

Today is the beginning of Day 3, so far so good. Yesterday breakfast was a serving of the breakfast casserole I made with some coconut oil melted on top, an apricot, and a coffee with coconut milk. Lunch was chili with leftover roasted sweet potatoes from the night before. Then dinner was steak with green beans, roasted broccoli, and a side of 1/2 banana, a few strawberries, coconut chips, and a drizzle of coconut milk. I would really appreciate any input on that amount of food, I feel like I'm still trying to get the hang of finding a balanced amount of food rather than too much or too little.

So far cravings have been very manageable. Sometimes I crave a diet coke or something sweet after a meal. So far the most difficult thing for me has been breakfast. I'm not a huge fan of the casserole my partner and I made, something about the flavor of the sausage is just not agreeing with me. I put a lot of sweet potatoes, onions, and kale in it but I can't really taste them at all. I am also getting over a cold, so I think that may be messing with my tastebuds.

My sleep has not improved or gotten worse. Last night I didn't sleep particularly well because my head was very stuffy from my cold and allergies. Hopefully tonight will be better...I will update later with my meals for today!

I made it through a long class yesterday without stuffing my face when I got home! I fixed pork chops in the crock pot and it was waiting for me when I got home, and during class I had a variation of the "monkey salad" to hold me through. I think knowing that I have food ready when I get home is going to be very helpful because in the past when I get home I'm so hungry that I don't want to take the time to cook food.

Yesterday I scored 3 eggplants from Kroger for only $1 TOTAL! So last night I broiled one of them to have with dinner. I liked them but my partner did not, so I'm hoping to find another way to prepare them. I did not sleep well at all last night, I'm not sure if it was related to this cold that I have or not. It was very hard for me to get out of bed this morning and I'm really hoping tonight's sleep will be better.

Archived