jent103's W30 #2

jent103

Meal 2 - bacon burger with peach compote, broccoli salad, sugar snap peas

A few almonds (dry roasted and salted) when ravenous before a walk with a friend

Meal 3 - salmon cakes with remoulade, grilled zucchini, citrus cauliflower rice

Movement: Walk with a friend at our ag center after work

Sleep: eight-ish hours (woke up once)

Wednesday:

Meal 1 - scramble, eggs, kraut, coffee

Meal 2 - bacon burger with peach compote, broccoli salad, carrots dunked in mayo

Meal 3 - kale salad with plain burger on top, plus some almonds later (takeout on the way to a friend's, hungry when I got home)

Movement: 45-minute walk in the park with a friend

Sleep: not quite eight hours; not great quality (had weird dreams - finally had the Whole30 cheating dreams, but not even about anything good - generic tortilla chips and crackers, what? also dreamed that I was in Orange Is the New Black, which is especially odd since I've never seen the show)

Thursday:

Meal 2 - big takeout salad (greens, pulled turkey, hard boiled egg, pecans, apple) with dressing I brought from home (mayo + balsamic)

Meal 3 - bacon burger with peach compote, carrots dunked in mayo, broccoli salad

Snack - almonds while out with a friend after a show

Movement: I walked across campus to the farmers' market... does that count?

Sleep: eight hours

Friday:

Meal 2 - salmon cakes, remoulade, grilled zucchini, I think sugar snap peas?

Meal 3 - bacon burger, mayo, tomato peach salad, broccoli salad

Sleep: eight hours

Saturday:

Pre-workout - hard-boiled egg with mayo before yoga (I rarely do pre- or post-workout meals, since I'm not really lifting or anything and honestly can't be bothered that early in the morning, but I'm always ravenous during these early yoga classes, so I thought I'd give it a try. Not sure it helped, but it didn't hurt!)

Meal 2 (super late) - two salmon cakes, remoulade, carrots dunked in mayo

Meal 3 - CSA pork chop with peach compote, sauteed zucchini, tomato peach salad

Movement - power flow class

Sleep - eight hours

Sunday:

Meal 1 (small, before church) - two small salmon cakes, remoulade, sugar snap peas

Meal 2 - scramble, eggs, kraut, coffee

Meal 3 - pork chop, peach compote, zucchini, tomato peach salad

Movement - hour-long walk around the lake

Sleep - eightish hours, with a long wakeup at 5:20 thanks to the guy across the street who feels the need to remote start his Mustang and leave it running awhile every day

Monday:

Three days left. I am so ready to be able to eat out easily again. I have a friend in town who is infamous for last-minute plans, and apparently we are maybe hanging out tonight and I didn't have time to make/pack dinner, which means I'll either eat something I'm not excited about or wait till I'm ravenous when I get home to eat. Eating Paleo out is easy. Eating Whole30 out is not.

Meal 2 - bacon burger, peach compote, sugar snap peas, slaw with napa cabbage, apple, carrot, radishes and zingy ginger dressing (Well Fed 2)

Had a few roasted almonds on my way to meet friends at a restaurant where I got club soda. They picked a new Chicago deep dish pizza place. I said "I'll just get a drink, I'm not eating pizza right now;" they said "there's a lot of other stuff on the menu!" Most of that was bruschetta... risotto balls... wings... you get the idea. :)

Meal 3 - ate ridiculously late when I got home due to unexpected changes in plans with friends. Peruvian roast chicken (leg/thigh and wing), lime cumin mayo, sauteed pattypan squash, tomato peach salad

Sleep: Eightish hours

Tuesday:

Meal 2 - Turkish meatballs dunked in garlic mayo (both from Well Fed 2. oh my goodness so good.), slaw with ginger dressing, probably a small cucumber's worth of pickles (homemade)

Meal 3 - other leg/thigh/wing of the Peruvian chicken, lime cumin mayo, sauteed squash, citrus cauliflower rice. Still genuinely hungry after dinner, so I ate a hard boiled egg with mayo and salt.

Sleep: Sevenish hours, though it took awhile to fall asleep. Alarm went off at 5:20 for yoga.

Wednesday - LAST DAY!:

Pre-workout - hard boiled egg with mayo

DONE. Yay! To finish out yesterday -

Meal 2 - Turkish meatballs, garlic mayo, pickles, grilled zucchini

Meal 3 - Salmon cakes with remoulade, slaw with ginger dressing, citrus cauliflower rice

Movement - yoga in the morning

Sleep - about seven hours

I went to a friend's house last night and did have a glass and a half of red wine. I considered it my first reintro. :) I did feel pretty unfiltered after that :), but that's a pretty big amount for me in general so that's not unexpected. Feeling no ill effects from it today as far as I can tell (tired, but I'm still catching up on sleep and only got seven hours last night, so I think that's not really due to the wine).

Lessons I learned from this go-round

I didn't see huge changes in my body composition or anything like that; for me, personally, I think this Whole30 has shown me that I had a pretty good handle on food before. The previous month definitely had more off-roading than was good for me, between special occasions and a two-week vacation, but that's unusual and I definitely felt the effects. It was really good to have a reset, but I'm glad to be back to my "normal" (which is very nearly W30 when cooking at home, with grassfed butter and the occasional honey, and probably 80% Paleo when I eat out).

So now I need to really focus on sleep, stress and movement, keeping my food choices conscious but not quite so strict. I'm in the process of getting a sit/stand desk at work, which I'm so excited about - my job is extremely computer-oriented, so I sit nine hours a day at the office plus whatever else. I'm going to make sleep a much bigger priority and try as much as I can to get walks in. My office is right across from a park with mile loop walking trail, and it's summer, so I really have no excuse!

Archived