Veges for Breakfast???

I am on Day 2 of my first W30 and am really having trouble eating veges for breakfast! I have to arrive at work for 5:00 am most weekdays so my go to breakfast is two scrambled eggs cooked in the microwave. I am not averse to preparing ahead of time, I just am not sure what I could make and take to work that could be eaten in under 5 minutes. I am a nurse so sitting down to a relaxing breakfast is not an option. Any ideas?

egg muffins? Just sautee up some veggies (bell peppers, onions, spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes, asparagus are all great options) and maybe some bacon or sausage, put them into muffin cups and pour beaten eggs over them. There's recipes all over the internet. You can line the muffin cups with prosciutto or grated sweet potato too. Just grab a few of them and eat them cold, or toss in the microwave before work.

My favorite breakfasts though are just leftovers from dinner the night before. Heck, this morning I had a salad with chicken, caramelized onions, bacon, and a red wine vinaigrette for breakfast!

• Moderators

I saw this recipe for a breakfast salad and modified it to suit my tastes. I like zucchini and/or summer squash, jicama, carrots (sometimes I blanch them so they're a little softer), celery, and sometimes cucumber (I recommend peeling it, I've had some that seemed bitter when I didn't peel it) and usually just a little fruit -- maybe a banana or some grapes. I make up several days' worth at once. If you need more fat with a particular meal, you can add coconut flakes or coconut milk or some avocado or some cashews or almonds.

You could also make a breakfast casserole instead of your plain scrambled eggs. I make up one in a 10x13 pan to have all week, especially if it's a week I have to be at work earlier than normal. I use a sweet potato, shredded (sometimes two if they're small), several big handfuls of spinach (I'm sure kale or other greens would work too), sometimes a bag of frozen cauliflower or broccoli, some kind of cooked meat (my favorite is just to brown a pound of breakfast sausage to put in it, but I've used chicken or hamburger or whatever I have on hand), and 10-12 eggs. I mix it all together and put it in a greased pan and bake at 350 for probably 20-25 minutes, until it's done -- the edges will start to brown and it'll be obvious the eggs in the middle are cooked and not runny anymore. This reheats well, and in a pinch is actually not bad cold. You can vary the vegetables to suit your tastes.

Throw some raw or frozen (and defrosted) spinach in with your eggs in the microwave.

I often eat leftover dinner veggies with my breakfast / meal 1.

Make nomnom paleos best braised green cabbage and heat up a hunk with your eggs in the morning. Yum! And it lasts all week!

Guest WholeStanley

On a sunday night I chop up an aubergine, zucchini and maybe a mushrooms, sautee in coconut oil and put in a tupperware in the fridge, then I just add a cup full to every breakfast and heat in the mircowave.

I also have a tupperware filled with chopped avocado, tomatoes and peppers, one with grilled courgette and peppers and a third with a red cabbage and carrot slaw (just red cabbage and carrot cut julienne style with a dressing from oil, chopped spring onions, ginger, cider vinegar and garlic).

Finally, I bake a bunch of sweet potatoes sunday night and wrap them in foil so I can grab one on the days I need that extra carb energy.

If I make all those on sunday there is always something to add to my breakfast eggs! 

• Moderators

Getting ready to head out to work this morning. Thanks for the ideas. I will probably make those muffins tonight to use the rest of the week. How many would you consider a serving?

The meal template calls for eating as many eggs as you can hold in one hand - probably three or four, so you should think in terms of how many muffin cups would it take to eat three or four eggs. That probably mean at least 4 muffin cups and maybe 5. 

Eating a big breakfast is important to making progress towards being satisfied with three meals per day. Small breakfasts set you up for grazing during the day. 

I want to thank all of you for the great ideas and help. I made it through Day 5 and am feeling good. I never thought I could enjoy eating vegetables for breakfast but am finding myself looking for creative ways to include them. I have a long way to go and a lot to learn but I feel I am off to a good start thanks to all of y'all!

Archived