Cheesy Cauliflower

AllyB

I know this isn't compliant, but it's waaaaay better than MacNCheese :)

Last night I was making a chicken dish and planned to serve it over cauliflower 'rice'.  My daughter doesn't like cauliflower rice.  So I debated making her some jasmine rice.  I really didn't want to though because she just stuffs herself with the rice and doesn't eat anything else.  She can't seem to get enough rice and then complains that she's still hungry.

So after thinking about it, I put some cauliflower rice on a plate, shredded a little bit of monterrey jack cheese over the top of it and put it under the broiler for a few minutes.  I added the chicken on the side and put it in front of her.  She asked what it was.  I said "Cheesy cauliflower".  She ate it and most of the chicken.

She announced "I'm done."  And left the table.  No "I'm still hungry.  Can I have a tortilla?"  I counted it a small victory!

My goal is to slowly reduce the amount of cheese on the top of it.  I think I put a little more than 1/8 of a cup on the top of about 1 cup of cauliflower.  So it was still a good amount of cauliflower!

Green eggs and ham for breakfast? Whiz the eggs with some of the chard, then scramble them. If you pair it up with reading the book, it would probably help. You can even (if you think they'd notice the flavor) start with food coloring and/or juice the chard a little to color them, and work it up to having the veggie itself in them.

Or you can make all kinds of soups (especially pureed ones) and hide it in there. I'm thinking broccoli soup, zucchini soup, etc. Wilt the chard into the soup, puree, delicious.

Any tips for getting kids to eat chard? Or eggplant? They won't eat those either.

There's a Filipino dish called rellenong talong that combines eggplant, ground meat, and eggs into a sort of...omelette, I guess? Or ground meat patty? Top with (compliant) ketchup. It's really good, your kids might like it.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that we are done with our whole30, my husband makes some smoothies a couple times a week.  He puts a leaf of kale in them.  His smoothie has goat kefir, blueberries, raw egg, potato starch (to help his gut), a kale leaf.  Believe it or not, it's really good!  My daughter loves them and it seems to satisfy her.

• 3 weeks later...

I have my kids help make me "Green Eggs and Ham." I got the idea from Paleo Cooking with Cavekids and we read the book together, too, but my kids are little. That cookbook also got my kids interested in kale chips, because they could follow along making it. For eggplant, I slice it thin and turn it into a lasagna style casserole (you can use cheese if your kids eat it). For other leafy greens, I have made my kids "green juice." I basically blend spinach/kale with apple chunks and a little water. A good blender helps with this, but I can get it juice-like even with my cheapo one. Kids love this drink. I also wilt greens into bone broth soup with some egg stirred in like a mock egg drop soup. They are okay with that, too.

Archived