Hi, I'm finishing my first Whole30 today and planning on continuing with a Paleo plan once I'm done.  I was weighing myself throughout the Whole30 (I know, but I was interested), and I lost nine pounds in the first three weeks.  The last week, however, I put a few pounds back on.  No complaints, net weight loss is great, but I was just wondering if I'm doing something wrong to gain the weight again.  I know it could just be a natural fluctuation, but to be safe, I started writing down the things I'm eating, hoping I might find some trend.  I've loaded Myfitnesspal onto my phone, and I was just wondering what kind of a calorie count I should be aiming for when trying to lose weight on Paleo.  Can I aim for a calorie count at all?  Does that kind of metric apply here?  What about percent fat, carbs, and protein in daily intake?

Any thoughts are helpful, thanks!

Guest WholeStanley

I'm sorry if this comes across harsh but for me whenever I hear "I was weighing myself throughout the Whole30", it's pretty much the same as saying "I ate sugar throughout the whole30".

They are both central rules to the whole30, and that's the whole point of the program - there's a set of strict rules, you follow them all, you can't pick and choose. You hand your life over for 30 days and listen to your body to see how it responds.

I would recommend maybe having a couple of days break and start a whole30 properly - remember this isn't a weight loss diet, it's a holistic life style change - step away from the scales and the calories and listen to your body and appreciate all the other no scale benefits.

Good luck!

I know it could just be a natural fluctuation

There you go. Calorie counting, tracking macros and weighing daily all make people second-guess the inherent cues their body gives them about how much food to eat. Stop doing it.

The whole30 gives you the tools you need. As WholeStanley suggests above: you don't get to pick and choose which rules you should follow. All of the rules apply to you.

Archived