Vanilla Extract?

PaulaB

Is a small amount of vanilla extract for flavoring allowed? (like, a drop in a cup of hot tea or a half teaspoon in a recipe) I have researched alcohol-free vanilla and there's propolyene glycol or glycerol used, so I think I'd rather use regular organic extract or just skip it for the Whole 30.

I wonder if you used a real vanilla pod as a stirrer in a cup of tea would some flavour leach out?

Yes, it would. You also can split the bean, scrape the seeds, pack them in oil, and put them in the fridge. Vanilla beans are divine!

• 1 month later...

hi guys. just read this after eating something my room mate made with organic vanilla extract. it was only one tbsp in a large dish of something apple crispy...does this warrant starting over? she used organic vanilla extract...so no sugar, just organic alcohol in it.

hi guys. just read this after eating something my room mate made with organic vanilla extract. it was only one tbsp in a large dish of something apple crispy...does this warrant starting over? she used organic vanilla extract...so no sugar, just organic alcohol in it.

I think there is also the issue of having a paleofied desert, which is something you should be avoiding on your W30. But personally I wouldn't start over.

Anyone know where to find a compliant vanilla powder?

Sorry no idea, I imagine it would cost a bomb, how about using a fresh pod?

I think there is also the issue of having a paleofied desert, which is something you should be avoiding on your W30. But personally I wouldn't start over.

Sorry no idea, I imagine it would cost a bomb, how about using a fresh pod?

Good idea, now to find some good pods. I was thinking of flavoring coconut cream with vanilla for my coffee. I tried cocoa mixed with coconut cream, wasn't bad but was lacking something and I think vanilla is the key.

Anyone know where to find a compliant vanilla powder?

In the UK funkyraw.com sells 100gm for £16.95. This is the whole vanilla bean ground down into a powder with nothing added. I bought some ages ago. I know it's dear but I keep it in the fridge and it seems to last for ages and is awesome. I've always taken my coffee black but sometimes I add some vanilla or cinnamon or cardamom or even chilli to spice it up a bit.

\

I totally get that...but it's canadian thanksgiving right now so I thought one indulgence would be okay...as per the Thanksgiving post from last year. So you don't think there is a need to start over? It's probably only a dash of alcohol at most.

• 3 years later...

Archived