Day 25 and more fatigue than ever

smargol

I am on day 25 of Whole30 and my energy level has plummeted. It's been like this since around day 15. The first few days I felt a surge of energy, and it's been major downhill since.  I used to work out everyday after work, and now I go straight home and want to nap. Once, I drove to the gym, took a 20 min nap in my car in the parking lot, and then drove home. I have been told that this is the process of "healing" and that sometimes you feel worse before you feel better... but this seems crazy. It's been too many days and I feel like I am too many days into the 30 days for my body to be going through this experience. I eat TONS of protein, and have sweet potato almost everyday. Any other suggestions on what's going on?

Here is a typical day:

Breakfast: 2-3 egg omelette with veggies and olives

Lunch: 1 or maybe 1.5 servings of chicken with some veggies (roasted/cut up sweet potato, parsnip, squash).

Dinner: Large salad with homemade tehini dressing or just olive oil. Salad has tomatoes, cucumbers, olives, avocado, and cut up salmon or chicken. With a side of sweet potato fries (roasted with a little OO). If not a salad, sometimes I grill just plain red meat (cubed) and have it with the fries.

I usually have about 2 servings of fruit throughout the day (either before dinner if I get hungry or with lunch). I also probably have about 2 servings of raw cashews or almonds at various times of the day.

That's a typical day. I am definitely eating more protein than I was before. I also started whole30 because my stomach was incredibly bloated and uncomfortable most days. Unfortunately, my stomach has not improved at all. I stopped eating nuts yesterday to see if that was possibly the culprit. Any help would be great.

Do you have a copy of the meal template?  Use that to gauge your serving sizes. 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat at every meal.

The need to snack can be an indication that your meals aren't big enough. I would play with your protein, veg and fat portions until your meals satiate you for 4-5 hours.

In the meantime, if you are genuinely hungry in between meals (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini meal that contains a protein and fat.  Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30 (and it's probably a good idea to take them out temporarily to see if that's causing your bloat). Save your 1-2 daily servings of fruit to have with or immediately after your main meals only.

On the energy thing, try having carb-dense vegetables in at least 2 of your meals daily and see if that helps.

Also, are you getting enough water? Aim for drinking a 1/2 oz of water per pound of of your current body weight, daily.

Normally I would say up your starchy vegetables but it seems like you are getting a good amount. What is your sleep and stress level like?

I definitely agree to cutting nuts and you might want to try increasing your protein a bit more. I know you say you are eating a ton of protein but it doesn't look like a lot to me. Try adding another egg to your 1st meal for example. Your meal 2 and 3 portions are hard for me to gauge not knowing if your serving is based on the size of your palm or something else.

I would say I drink about a liter and a half of water a day (so less than what you said I should).  I can work on upping that.  I am a teacher, so my lunch is at 12:30 and I can't change that.  I just don't think it's reasonable to not eat again until 6:30 for dinner.  I find that if I try to wait, I get really irritable and in a bad mood because I'm hungry.  I also am ravenous and so cooking at 6 or 6:30 is painful... I just want to eat not wait around for things to cook!  I just feel like even if I eat the proportions I am supposed to according to whole30, not eating for 6 hours is hard.  Even after the most filling meal, isn't everyone going to be hungry 6 hours later?  This is why I usually have a snack at the end of my day.  Either a piece of fruit or a hard boiled egg.  

6 hours is stretching the limit of between meal times, but it is possible for some people. If you need to eat between meal 2 and meal 3 that is fine. Just try to make it something with protein and fat. The hard boiled egg is perfect. Having a piece of fruit by itself isn't super helpful because your body digests it quickly and it feeds our need to get energy from quick sugars. A handful of nuts is ok but not the best for the tummy in most people and is mostly fat and little protein.

No need to wait and cook when you get home either. Doing extra food prep on the weekends and/or just cooking more than a meals worth when you do cook means you can have dinner ready to go when you return home. I usually make a few things each week and then live off the leftovers the rest of the week. It is all about finding out what works for you.

Archived