Camping Whole30 Style

I went camping with a friend of mine over memorial day weekend. I was on day 17 and my friend was on day 7.. We decided we could do this whole 30 style and make it fun. I've never been camping without drinking and eating lots of chips so I knew this would be good challenge. 

We went to Trader Joe's the day before we left and picked up everything we would need for whole30 approved camping trip. These items included:

Applegate Grass-Fed Hot dogs

Cooked Chicken Breast

Eggs For Breakfast and Hard-boiled Eggs for snack

Homemade Cauliflower Tabbouleh Salad (cauliflower, cucumber, tomato, kalamata olives, lemon, mint, parsley, garlic, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, s&p) -  I made a huge batch to keep in the cooler

Guacamole

Sugar-Free Salsa

Stir-Fry Veggie Mix: asparagus, red onion and mushrooms

Broccoli 

Watermelon

Grapefruit

Apples

Bananas

Almond Butter

Larabars

Organic Tuna Salad (organic albacore tuna in the can, capers, pickles, homemade mayo, dijon mustard, s&p) - which we ate with sliced apples

I prepped up a head of time the cauliflower salad and the tuna and packed everything else in the cooler and off we went. 

We arrived pretty late on friday evening since traffic wasn't great and opted for a quick meal since we were losing day light and wanted to get our tent up and gear set. We ate a little of the cauliflower salad with a few slices of the cooked chicken breast and some watermelon. Later after we got a fire started, we roasted hot dogs on sticks over the fire, just to try them. 

On saturday we started our morning with scrambled eggs, grapefruit and banana. We left for a day of kayaking, exploring and hiking and made sure that we each brought larabar incase we got hungry before we could get back for lunch. For lunch we sliced up apples and ate them with the tuna I had made ahead of time, Hard-boiled eggs and guacamole. For dinner we steamed broccoli over the fire and then made the stir-fry veggies with chicken. We ended our night with a few slices of watermelon while watching the sunset. And later that night we each had another hot dog because we love roasting things over camp fire. 

On sunday morning, we ate apples and almond butter and some more scrambled eggs with hot dog slices and guacamole .. After exploring a little more we hopped in the car and started our journey back home. We snacked on a banana and a larabar in the car and then once we got back home we made omelets for dinner. 

I am happy to say that we had 100% whole30-compliant camping trip, without craving or missing too much of the normal "camping-style foods". My personal biggest weakness was Roasted Marshmallows. I can't remember the last time I sat by a campfire and didn't at least roast one marshmallow or make a s'mores.. but I fought the urge and I know my body was happy about that. I think the only thing I would do differently next time, is bring a little more food to cook. I forgot that it's pretty easy to cook on portable stoves and over campfire and it would have been nice to eat more hot food other than eggs, chicken and hot dogs. 

I am now on day 23 and feeling great! I'm so happy I didn't ruin my whole30 on the camping trip and excited to see how I feel over the next 7 days. 

I did the same thing. Made deviled eggs at the campsite from the hb eggs I brought..lots of cucumber, tomatoes peppers...and cole slaw made ahead. We had clean hotdogs, steak..and ribs over the weekend. I even went to an unplanned picnic and nibbled on fruit and veggies...that others brought since I had already eaten. I kinda missed the roasted marshmallows...but survived.. drank almost a case of water!!!!!

This is fantastic!

Has anyone ever gone backpacking on a W30? I've done a short, 2-day hike-in/hike-out camping trip, but not a real backpacking excursion.  Granted, I won't be going backpacking any time soon with an 8-month-old, but I can dream!

This is fantastic!

Has anyone ever gone backpacking on a W30? I've done a short, 2-day hike-in/hike-out camping trip, but not a real backpacking excursion.  Granted, I won't be going backpacking any time soon with an 8-month-old, but I can dream!

Ooo, what did you take for the 2 day trip - I'm useless at thinking of light, protein dense options so have been putting off overnight hikes (well, it's now into winter here anyway, so I won't be camping out anytime soon - I'm a wimp!).

Oh gosh, let me see if I remember! Now, to be fair, I wasn't actually doing a W30 - this was months before I'd heard of it, but I WAS doing Paleo so it's pretty close!

For breakfast I made a chia porridge with chia seeds, an almond-coconut milk blend, raspberries, and mashed up banana. We had hardboiled eggs with that.

Lunches were tuna in pouches, carrots with cashew "cheese" (which is NOTHING like cheese and reminds me more of hummus), and Paleo banana bread -- NOT W30 but very satisfying! 

We had larabars and trailmix for snacks.

Honestly, I don't remember what we did for dinner. I think it was chicken with "peanut noodles," which were zucchini, and the sauce was made with sunbutter (and soy sauce, so again, not W30). We had apples with almond butter and more banana bread for dessert.

I did most of the prep ahead of time so that all we had to do was heat things, and I put everything that I could into plastic bags. We did all of our cooking with a JetBoil so everything had to be scoop-able, so to speak.

Again, this was all for a hike-in, hike-out site, and NOT for backpacking. We hiked maybe 5 miles total the first day and 3 miles the second. If we had been hiking a longer distance, this would NOT have been enough food. And, obviously, the Paleo-fied banana bread wouldn't be okay.

I also did a Trader Joe's run before a cookout, and it was very successful.  They have grass-fed, organic no sugar hot dogs that were SUPER good, along with compliant guac and sweet potato chips that were both compliant (although the chips are frowned upon, I did measure them and ate them along with other veggies so I decided it was ok).  

I made deviled eggs before I left with homemade mayo, brought some pre-sliced fruit salad, sliced cucumber and carrots, and I roasted zucchini, mushrooms, and sweet onions over the fire with olive oil and it was DIVINE.  Instead of cocoa, I had tea with coconut milk and it really hit the spot.

I love me some Trader Joe's!

Oh gosh, let me see if I remember! Now, to be fair, I wasn't actually doing a W30 - this was months before I'd heard of it, but I WAS doing Paleo so it's pretty close!

For breakfast I made a chia porridge with chia seeds, an almond-coconut milk blend, raspberries, and mashed up banana. We had hardboiled eggs with that.

Lunches were tuna in pouches, carrots with cashew "cheese" (which is NOTHING like cheese and reminds me more of hummus), and Paleo banana bread -- NOT W30 but very satisfying! 

We had larabars and trailmix for snacks.

Honestly, I don't remember what we did for dinner. I think it was chicken with "peanut noodles," which were zucchini, and the sauce was made with sunbutter (and soy sauce, so again, not W30). We had apples with almond butter and more banana bread for dessert.

I did most of the prep ahead of time so that all we had to do was heat things, and I put everything that I could into plastic bags. We did all of our cooking with a JetBoil so everything had to be scoop-able, so to speak.

Again, this was all for a hike-in, hike-out site, and NOT for backpacking. We hiked maybe 5 miles total the first day and 3 miles the second. If we had been hiking a longer distance, this would NOT have been enough food. And, obviously, the Paleo-fied banana bread wouldn't be okay.

I worry more about the weight of fresh food - I have a really hard time getting the weight of my pack down to something reasonable, and I'm always astounded at people who pull out a fresh loaf of bread on day 6! (Actually saw that happen - they were making tomato and cucumber sandwiches as we were waiting for the ferry out of a hike!)

• 3 months later...

This is a great topic!  Camping season is just about over, so hopefully people will pick this up again in the spring.

Hubby and I went camping several months ago (before I even knew about Whole30, but I was doing weight watchers and was committed to cooking whole foods as much as possible).

Here's some things we made that I now realize are Whole30 compliant:

• In the dutch oven:  stews (whatever ingredients you want to toss in), eggs/hash, sausage with kraut
  • On the grill: steak, lots of grilled veggies
  • Over the campfire:  bacon wrapped sausages

Yum!  And easy - usually we had leftovers from the stews and ate it for breakfast :) (kept just fine in a tupperware overnight in the cooler)

It's also fun and easy to make individual portions of stew in aluminum foil pouches that you put right on the coals.  You can stuff a bell pepper with meats and veggies and wrap it in foil and place on the coals too.  OMG - and if you can fish while camping.  Well - trout with butter (ghee) and lemon foil cooked over a grill or coals is devine.

Percolated coffee...mmmm....  Yes, we had smore's but now I realize we could've grilled fruit and been just as happy!  (ok, not hubby.  But I would've been!)

Archived