Ummm, potty talk

Hey folks, 1st post here. My wife and I finished our whole 30 challenge about 8 days ago. It went great and all the benefits are there. We love it, so much so that we are just continuing on the program and are not (as of yet) introducing anything back. No need as we see it.

However, I am curious about the gut healing process, excessive bathroom visits,etc.. I know in the book there is mention of the intestines healing themselves and such and there could be diarhea. That did in fact happen several times for me during the 30 days. Although it tapered off, there appears to be a resurrgence of sorts.

Today I have been in the bathroom no less than 12 times. I was wondering if there was anyone else that has had this happen, and/or could any one shed light onto the topic? Specifically, how do you know if there is a problem, or it's just a "healing process?"

Thank you!

Did you eat anything different recently? There's just a chance that with your digestive system starting to heal, you're now actually more sensitive to foods you could formerly ingest without any problems. And they don't have to be noncompliant foods. Some of us are sensitive to foods that are in the Whole30 approved list.

(I discovered I had allergic reactions to Swiss chard stems and carrot greens, for example, and they're just vegetables.)

• 2 weeks later...

Same issue here :( Day 9. Constant digestive upset.

Anybody have any ideas how to avoid this? 

Also I'm a bit confused by the suggestion that it might indicate your gut is healing. How would that work exactly? Why might you have negative symptoms as part of healing?

• Moderators

After our 30 days were over, Hubz complained that his stomach was a little funny. He made further tweaks when I pointed out that he still ate a lot of fruit. For him, the fructose was the trigger. Everyone is different, so keep track of what you're eating, make changes, and you will figure it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Craggy - often it's an indication of changing gut bacteria, which can be key to healing :)

After our 30 days were over, Hubz complained that his stomach was a little funny. He made further tweaks when I pointed out that he still ate a lot of fruit. For him, the fructose was the trigger. Everyone is different, so keep track of what you're eating, make changes, and you will figure it out.

Thanks for the replies :)

I decided to try cutting out coconut oil, as that's the only different food I've added since starting the Whole30 (already ate paleo before, but always cooked with butter). The digestion cleared up pretty quickly after that, so I guess I just have low tolerance for coconut oil :( After the Whole30 I'm also considering experimenting with reducing FODMAPS, since I've had more minor stomach/digestive symptoms for years and these haven't in any way improved on the Whole30 as I was hoping.

Sometimes it's also worth trying other brands. There's a refined coconut oil (very yellow, instead of white) I bought by mistake once and it made me feel really sick.

If butter was working before, switch to ghee :)

Yeh I did switch to ghee :)

I'm sure you're right about different brands. I'll look into it if I need to use coconut oil for any recipes. However, its a lot pricier than just making ghee from butter at home, so I don't think I'll be using it this much again.

Archived