Where To Go? (and what to eat)

Emily

Per Chipotle's website, the barbacoa is made with rice bran oil, which makes it not Whole30 compliant.

Well thank goodness the carnitas is okay, because that's all I've ever had at Chipotle! Of course, I used to have it in a burrito with rice, beans, and cheese. Is there a significant difference in the effects of rice bran oil and canola oil? (since canola oil is allowed for purposes of dining out).

Ditto with Subway. All their meats contain non-compliant ingredients. You can get a veggie salad but with no banana peppers, jalapenos, or pickles. I found out a lot about Subway after reading their ingredients list:

http://www.subway.com/Nutrition/Files/usProdIngredients.pdf

I find that eating out is difficult most of the time. Sometimes I get embarrassed always asking questions about how a food is cooked. 

• 1 year later...

If desperate, you could put together a meal at Wendy's: Burger patties, lettuce, tomato and pickles chopped up in a baked potato with some lemon squeezed on it. There's unsweetened ice tea, water and Juicy Juice apple juice. They also have apple slices (which I couldn't find on their list of ingredients but I'm sure have preservatives so they may be non-compliant) and dried cranberries that normally come with a salad. Everything else is off the program but kudos! to Wendy's for listing it's product ingredients and recognizing that it fries in soy oil!!

If desperate, you could put together a meal at Wendy's: Burger patties, lettuce, tomato and pickles chopped up in a baked potato with some lemon squeezed on it. There's unsweetened ice tea, water and Juicy Juice apple juice. They also have apple slices (which I couldn't find on their list of ingredients but I'm sure have preservatives so they may be non-compliant) and dried cranberries that normally come with a salad. Everything else is off the program but kudos! to Wendy's for listing it's product ingredients and recognizing that it fries in soy oil!!

Might want to take another look at Wendy's nutritional information. https://www.wendys.com/redesign/wendys/pdf/en_US_nutrition.pdf

According to this, their burgers contain soy, which would make them non-compliant. I'm guessing they use soybean oil.

You'd also need to confirm the pickles are compliant as well (not preserved in things like sulfites) and no sugar/sweetener on the dried cranberries.

Juice is only recommended as a flavoring in cooking on a Whole30 - not as a beverage.

Thx 4 the correction. Didn't see the burger info. I went to Chipotle's only to find they are not serving carnitas. Gave up and went to an expensive place so I wouldn't feel bad being demanding. Waitress was excellent, got me the info I needed. I ended up w a burnt carrot and avocado salad w broiled shrimp, olive oil and lemon juice and a bowl of berries - $30! Ahhaha! Whatevs. Tomorrow is another day.

• 3 months later...

Might want to take another look at Wendy's nutritional information. https://www.wendys.com/redesign/wendys/pdf/en_US_nutrition.pdf

According to this, their burgers contain soy, which would make them non-compliant. I'm guessing they use soybean oil.

You'd also need to confirm the pickles are compliant as well (not preserved in things like sulfites) and no sugar/sweetener on the dried cranberries.

Juice is only recommended as a flavoring in cooking on a Whole30 - not as a beverage.

Can you review the nutritional guide again and respond?  The jr hamburger contains no soy, so my expectation is that the soy in the double burger isn't in the beef but in something else.  I've read elsewhere that Wendy's beef is indeed 100% ground beef and based on the nutritional guide for the jr. hamburger I think that would confirm this.

In fact, if you look at the jr. hamburger vs the jr. cheeseburger you will see that soy only exists in the cheeseburger.  I think this confirms that the meat itself does not contain soy.  I have ordered a double, no cheese, only lettuce, tomato, onion.  Remove that from the bun and put the components between the patties and you have an approved option.  It isn't something I would eat often, but I had a bunch of buddies that wanted to go there so it was a nice option.

In fact, if you look at the jr. hamburger vs the jr. cheeseburger you will see that soy only exists in the cheeseburger.  I think this confirms that the meat itself does not contain soy.  I have ordered a double, no cheese, only lettuce, tomato, onion.  Remove that from the bun and put the components between the patties and you have an approved option.  It isn't something I would eat often, but I had a bunch of buddies that wanted to go there so it was a nice option.

You'd need to check with Wendy's on the official scoop. I think it's odd for the jr burger to be the only burger that doesn't contain soy when all others listed do. My hunch is they use soybean oil for their cooking oil or cooking spray.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived