June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

Hi Everyone!

I saw that there are a few different June 1st posts so far, so I thought it'd be good to make one topic where all of us June 1st starters can support each other. 

This will be my 3rd Whole 30. My first was July 1, 2013, and then I did one in February and now I'm ending off my 1st year of Paleo/Whole9 with a Whole 30.  I'm excited to make it official again and excited to see my stats on July 1, 2014! 

Since last July, I'm down 70 lbs and 4-5 sizes. Whole 30/Whole 9/Paleo is an amazing lifestyle. I will never go back. It's definitely not a fad diet, but rather a healthy way of living, and a way to have a healthy relationship with food. 

Let me encourage all of the newbies out there to do "before" pictures and measurements.  The days over the last year that I'd get frustrated, I'd look at my before and after pics and they helped me keep going! 

Join us! This will be fun. I still communicate with some of the people that were in my July 2013 support thread. It was great to make friends and find a support system.

:D

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I am new to the forum, and new to the Whole30, but not new to paleo.

I started eating paleo almost 2 years ago and initially lost around 23lbs. I went on a cruise after being paleo for a few months and I've been trying to stick with paleo ever since.

Thankfully I've only gained a handful of the pounds back, but I'd like to lose more and just overall feel much better.

I am so glad there is a thread for June 1!

Hey y'all! I am also new to the Forum and to the Whole30! My roommate and I are planning on beginning the first of June as well! Were both nervous and very excited!

I currently have a very large amount of caffeine in my diet (from energy drinks) and am kind of nervous to see how my body reacts to quitting it! I will still be drinking tea, that is not sweetened.

I am very glad there are others on here starting June first as well! It's going to be new and exciting for me!

But I am curious if I can have salt on things or not? It doesn't specify :/

Yes of course!

To quote the Whole 30 "can I have.." article (http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/)

"Salt: Yes

First, salt makes your food delicious. Second, when you cut out processed and packaged foods, you remove the vast majority of sodium from your diet. Adding salt to your Whole30 plate won't push you over reasonable sodium limits, and if you avoid salt altogether, you run the risk of an electrolyte imbalance (not to mention serious food boredom). We encourage a mix of iodized table salt and sea salt."

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.Emuolxis.dpuf

Hi guys!

I'm about to start my first whole 30 and/or paleo on June 1st as well.

Over the last year and half I've lost 33kg with 13kg to go before my goal weight but in the last six months hit a plateau that i can't seem to move.  I've tried a number of different things, eating and exercise wise.  But my body just won't go lower.  I still have a lot of fat to lose (I'm sitting at about 40% and would like to be at 30%).

I've gradually taken out dairy, wheat (I only have oats for breakfast) and 98% of sugar so I feel ready to move into doing the whole 30.  Now I just need to leave the beans/legumes behind. I'm hoping this will help me move past this 6 month plateau and I'm very interested to see how I feel emotionally, mentally and physically.

Little things are making nervous (no oats for breakfast!!) like adding in the extra fat that I'm just not used to having and finding something for breakfast to replace oats/porridge.  But other then that I'm ready, excited and can't wait!

Yes of course!

To quote the Whole 30 "can I have.." article (http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/)

"Salt: Yes

First, salt makes your food delicious. Second, when you cut out processed and packaged foods, you remove the vast majority of sodium from your diet. Adding salt to your Whole30 plate won't push you over reasonable sodium limits, and if you avoid salt altogether, you run the risk of an electrolyte imbalance (not to mention serious food boredom). We encourage a mix of iodized table salt and sea salt."

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.Emuolxis.dpuf

I've noticed that when I go low carb (below 50grams), I get small twinges and pains in my abdomen from the lower intake of salt. I can eat a pinch or two of salt and it's gone.

I've added salt into every meal I eat and I don't have any more issues. :)

Hi guys!

I'm about to start my first whole 30 and/or paleo on June 1st as well.

Over the last year and half I've lost 33kg with 13kg to go before my goal weight but in the last six months hit a plateau that i can't seem to move.  I've tried a number of different things, eating and exercise wise.  But my body just won't go lower.  I still have a lot of fat to lose (I'm sitting at about 40% and would like to be at 30%).

I've gradually taken out dairy, wheat (I only have oats for breakfast) and 98% of sugar so I feel ready to move into doing the whole 30.  Now I just need to leave the beans/legumes behind. I'm hoping this will help me move past this 6 month plateau and I'm very interested to see how I feel emotionally, mentally and physically.

Little things are making nervous (no oats for breakfast!!) like adding in the extra fat that I'm just not used to having and finding something for breakfast to replace oats/porridge.  But other then that I'm ready, excited and can't wait!

I've never been much of a fan of oatmeal, but I am having to change my breakfast options. "Egg muffins" give me horrid indigestion, so those are out of the question.

I am going to try Mark's "no-atmeal". I believe it is Whol30 approved? If not, someone please correct me.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/no-oat-oatmeal-its-no-atmeal/#axzz33Cja1aY0

Hi! I'm so excited to be starting my third whole30! I did my first in June '12, my second in March '13. All my niggling health problems have been gradually coming back this year - my body telling me I've let the 'off-roading' get out of hand.

I've been making my own mayo for a few years now, a whole-egg recipe that I thought was surely healthier than the usual yolk-only one. But I've developed some really persistent seborrhoeic dermatitis on my scalp, and apparently one cause of this can be eating raw egg whites! I'm not very good at making proper mayo yet, but I'm getting there. :-) And the texture is much better as well!

Another issue I'm working on is chronic localised inflammation in my finger. I had a tiny splinter of pine in there a couple of years ago, which may still be there - the doctors don't want to do anything about it because it's near the joint, and wood won't show up on an xray. When I'm eating well, it doesn't cause any problems, but when I'm not, it swells up and becomes painful.

I've also got some weight to lose, about 20kg, but that's secondary to other things - I miss having enough energy to do the things I want to do, and I'm sick of acne.

Sometimes I can't believe how much it takes for me to listen to all the signals my body is sending me! It's screaming for me to take action. Well, body, here you go. This one's for you. ;-)

I've never been much of a fan of oatmeal, but I am having to change my breakfast options. "Egg muffins" give me horrid indigestion, so those are out of the question.

I am going to try Mark's "no-atmeal". I believe it is Whol30 approved? If not, someone please correct me.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/no-oat-oatmeal-its-no-atmeal/#axzz33Cja1aY0

This isn't a great choice, as it borders on SWYPO and doesn't meet the recommended meal template (contains no vegetables).  It's also fat-heavy and fruit-heavy.

A better choice would be a meal that meets the template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat. 

I would like to join this group. I have done whole34 twice..2012 and 2013. Both times I felt AMAZING! When I added in other foods at the end of the 34 days, I gave up waaay more than I gained. I am READY to do this again!

I have a lot of heart problems, food allergies, and other health issues. I can hardly wait to start feeling the benefits of this eating plan. I still have shopping to do but I will be ready on June 1!

Hi everyone!
I am starting 1st June also so it's great to be part of a group - thank you!
I have "dabbled" with paleo before and certainly notice I feel better without certain foods so am really excited (while apprehensive!) about fully committing to giving it a proper go with the 30 days.
I want to break the "addiction" cycle of sugar and caffeine and increase my energy levels and also drop about 10kg in the next few months.

The things I will miss the most are my cheese and wine but know I am better off without them!
Thank you, nicki

I had never heard of paleo or whole30 until a few days ago. Then my sister who lives in Europe put up on Facebook that she was starting the Whole30. So I googled it & what a new world has opened up for me!

I need to lose weight & have some very bad eating & drinking habits. I'm starting on the 1st which is under 24hrs away here in Australia.

The breakfast's will be my biggest challenge as I usually just have a nutrition shake on the run. I have a collection of recipes ready to cook & then reheat which should work for me in the mornings.

Looking forward to all the new meals I am going to discover & hopefully new habits that will continue after the 30 days.

All the best to everyone!

I had never heard of paleo or whole30 until a few days ago. Then my sister who lives in Europe put up on Facebook that she was starting the Whole30. So I googled it & what a new world has opened up for me!

I need to lose weight & have some very bad eating & drinking habits. I'm starting on the 1st which is under 24hrs away here in Australia.

The breakfast's will be my biggest challenge as I usually just have a nutrition shake on the run. I have a collection of recipes ready to cook & then reheat which should work for me in the mornings.

Looking forward to all the new meals I am going to discover & hopefully new habits that will continue after the 30 days.

Hi beegram!

Last summer someone in a breastfeeding support group I was in on FB posted that her supply increased when she started a whole 30 and that she loved it. So I Googled it on June 28, 2013 and started July 1,2014 and have been whole 9/ paleo since! I know it's cliché, but it has changed my life, helped me create much healthier eating habits and a healthier relationship with food. Plus the added bonus of losing 70lbs/32 kg.

Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life. You can do it! Seriously, and heres another cliché for you... if I can do it, anyone can.

This isn't a great choice, as it borders on SWYPO and doesn't meet the recommended meal template (contains no vegetables).  It's also fat-heavy and fruit-heavy.

A better choice would be a meal that meets the template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat. 

Thank you. I have a lot of learning to do! :)

I have a question about veggies.

I am not a fan of the majority of them, and can tolerate only a select few. What can a person like me do about that?

Since going paleo, I've learned to like brussell sprouts, romaine/iceburg lettuce, spaghetti squash and sweet potato.

Bell peppers give me horrid indigestion, so I eat them sparingly. <_< Although I do like them.

I'm learning to like cauliflower and zuccini.

I know I should eat more veggies, but I do good to get one serving in a day. :unsure:

I have a question about veggies.

I am not a fan of the majority of them, and can tolerate only a select few. What can a person like me do about that?

Since going paleo, I've learned to like brussell sprouts, romaine/iceburg lettuce, spaghetti squash and sweet potato.

Bell peppers give me horrid indigestion, so I eat them sparingly. <_< Although I do like them.

I'm learning to like cauliflower and zuccini.

I know I should eat more veggies, but I do good to get one serving in a day. :unsure:

You've got a good rotation. I would add to it. I suggest introducing 2 new vegetables a week, and go from there. 

Start with 1c of vegetables at each meal and work your way up.

Hi beegram,

I am in Australia too and also gearing up to start tomorrow morning so we will be on the same timing.

I also have weight to lose, wine to miss, and smoothies to give up for brecky so we have a lot in common! :)

I look forward to sharing your progress.

Nicki

I am starting on 1 June and also in Australia - so only hours away!  :)

I am not new to Paleo, but have struggled with it - often going too low carb, so making sure I am having sufficient carbs for my energy levels and needs for recovery.  I have tried to do a Whole30 before, but have never been successful.  I really want to make it this time and glad there is a group for us starting on the same day.

Hi :-) 

I'm in Australia also and my partner and I are embarking on our first Whole 30 tomorrow - June 1st.

My reason for doing this is to hopefully get rid of a tendonitis that I have been carrying for nearly a year now that I havent been able to cure with rest or physio. I'm really interested to see how I feel at the end of the Whole 30.

I'm looking forward to seeing the June 1 starters progress!

Vicki

Archived