June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

Huge non scale victory for me today! Fit in the dress that I was wearing in a pic that I was using as motivation! On the left was today, and on the right was 6 years ago, pre newlywed weight and lots of baby weight. I feel like my arms are more toned now! Yippee! Looks like I need a new motivational pic!

post-32761-0-41492600-1403745056_thumb.j

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge non scale victory for me today! Fit in the dress that I was wearing in a pic that I was using as motivation! On the left was today, and on the right was 6 years ago, pre newlywed weight and lots of baby weight. I feel like my arms are more toned now! Yippee! Looks like I need a new motivational pic!

You're gorgeous! Congratulations!

Hey all! It's been a busy couple of days here for me, so I'm just catching up on this thread. Some past group threads I've participated in have petered out halfway through the w30, so I'm just so pleased that this one has kept going with a bunch of cool, supportive cats such as yourselves.

Food here has been pretty swell. Today I'm headed to lunch out with a friend, but I got to choose the restaurant, and there's one near both of our offices that I know I can order a salad (sans cheese) at. Good stuff.

For fun, I've decided to keep going through July 11. After that I have to travel for work, and one of my out-of-town colleagues will do a lot of (excellent) cooking. He does some cooking in butter, and there is often sweet corn, that kind of stuff. It's all real food, and I can easily bypass the bread that is occasionally offered, so I'm not concerned.

I see in the thread that dairy will be a popular reintro come next week. I'm hoping to enjoy some good cheese here and there, but it makes me break out and gain 5 pounds if I eat too much. Sigh. I'll probably reintro those things I talked about above, as well as not bring so strict with eating out—if there's a little sugar/booze in something at a restaurant, that will be okay. Not like I'm going to be gorging myself on desserts and adult beverages! Just, like, ingredients in sauces and stuff. I'll probably also have bacon too. Anyway, I'm off to get started on work. Have a good day, all!

Hello all! Just finished the busiest two weeks ever! Two graduations and two graduation parties, out of town guests, a weekend away, my wedding anniversary (and dinner out), a multitude of awards dinners, sports bbqs, getting two kids packed and off to Europe, etc etc etc. i am utterly exhausted but totally stoked that I have stayed on plan. The hardest part was not drinking this weekend! I think I will reintroduce my wine first! Good luck to all through the home stretch!

Well how does one go from auto pilot for a couple of weeks to having a couple of tough days?

food wise I ate well but wow, the hunger cravings. I just don't know what to do. how many more cups of veggies can  keep eating to feel satisfied. I don't mind but it seems like I'm binging, know what I mean? I'm not because I still feel hungry within 20-30 minutes after dinner. so I eat more veggies to see if that does the trick.  then I'm really full but after an hour the fullness passes and I'm fine and feeling comfortable. Full as in I can't eat anymore but not busting out of my pants (completely anyway).

People say eat more fat but if I eat half an avocado, a protein with some fat--should I add a drizzle  oil or eat a whole avocado instead and cut down on the 4 cups of veggies? I eat about 5 ounces of protein.

should I try 6-8 ounces protein, more fat and limit to 3 cups of veggies see how that goes? I'm pretty short so if I went by the size of my palm, I'd starve. LOL.    I guess I'm thinking  all this out loud.

Clearly I will be continuing my whole 30 and trying to sort this out. I know a lot of it is to sustain my activity level too. But I've worked hard to be fit and I'm not cutting that out to figure out food amounts!  I often wondert how do people workout and eat far less?

I'm overthinking, aren't I?

I can't believe that next week I'll be taking my one year after pic to combine with my before. I was looking at pics from my friend's wedding last September when I had already lost about 30 lbs (and felt "thin"), and I look so different than I do now. Also fun that people are saying I look thinner now than at my wedding 6 yes ago, even though I'm the same weight (goes to show what more exercise and a Whole30 diet does to the body and how the same weight can look different based on what you're putting in your body) :-)

Getting emotional about my 1 year anniversary of paleo/whole30 coming up. I think I may cry when I take my pics on July 1st. So blessed to have found and embraced this lifestyle.

I've been 4 times, twice Chipoltle, once Red Lobster, and once IHOP (horrible steak)

I found a local place that does locally sourced grass fed beef burgers with hand made sweet potato fries made in tallow. I've been there a few times.

I've also found this yummy Power Mediterranean Roasted Turkey salad at Panera - just ask for no pepperoncini and it's compliant. I've had that a few times ... I usually add avocado.post-46546-0-48324600-1403890052_thumb.j

I can't believe that next week I'll be taking my one year after pic to combine with my before. I was looking at pics from my friend's wedding last September when I had already lost about 30 lbs (and felt "thin"), and I look so different than I do now. Also fun that people are saying I look thinner now than at my wedding 6 yes ago, even though I'm the same weight (goes to show what more exercise and a Whole30 diet does to the body and how the same weight can look different based on what you're putting in your body) :-)

Getting emotional about my 1 year anniversary of paleo/whole30 coming up. I think I may cry when I take my pics on July 1st. So blessed to have found and embraced this lifestyle.

Do you have a blog or something?  I'd love to hear more about your journey :)

Do you have a blog or something? I'd love to hear more about your journey :)

Thanks. No I do not have a blog (time constraints) however, I'm sure I'll write up a long "success story" post. I'll link to it here when I do. I'll have to reflect over the next few days on what I will write. :-)

Involuntary cook up the other day (sautéed too much cauliflower, zucchini, mushrooms and onions with Evoo and garlic) turned into a yummo meal today when I sautéed the mixed veggies in coconut oil, added cumin, paprika, cayenne and shrimp! Yum. Then had fried plaintains with cinnamon and salt too. Yummo

So, I feel like I'm tired all.the.time. No tiger blood here. I get 7-9 hours a night and yet I always feel like it's not enough. I'm a little disappointed which I hate to admit. :(

I plan on doing Whole60 ( at least ) to give myself more time. I fully recognize that it took me years to get unhealthy and it may just be a slower process for me.

But I'm sad. (And sleepy).

So, I feel like I'm tired all.the.time. No tiger blood here. I get 7-9 hours a night and yet I always feel like it's not enough. I'm a little disappointed which I hate to admit. :(

I plan on doing Whole60 ( at least ) to give myself more time. I fully recognize that it took me years to get unhealthy and it may just be a slower process for me.

Are you sleeping in complete darkness? Try room darkening shades or a sleep mask. Maybe try some meditation before bed as well. Also try shifting your bedtime and 7-9 hours to start earlier in the evening, at 9 for example instead of 11.

You could post 2-3 days worth of your food log in the Troubleshooting section to get feedback on possible tweaks. Include your daily water intake and exercise routine.  

Any past history of health issues which could affect your energy? 

Are you sleeping in complete darkness? Try room darkening shades or a sleep mask. Maybe try some meditation before bed as well. Also try shifting your bedtime and 7-9 hours to start earlier in the evening, at 9 for example instead of 11.

My room is very dark except in the morning when the sun comes up. Is that bad? Also, I do go to bed early because I am too tired not to.

Thanks for your thoughts. :)

You could post 2-3 days worth of your food log in the Troubleshooting section to get feedback on possible tweaks. Include your daily water intake and exercise routine.  

Any past history of health issues which could affect your energy?

I don't have any health issues other than I need to lose 60 pounds. I do have long history of disordered eating and yo-yo dieting. I'm usually either losing or gaining. :(

I don't have any health issues other than I need to lose 60 pounds. I do have long history of disordered eating and yo-yo dieting. I'm usually either losing or gaining. :(

Some tough love: with that type of history, your hormones are likely a bit out of whack. Use the Whole30 for as long as you need to, to get them in a more stable place.  It may take longer than 30 days.  Be gentle with yourself, and give yourself LOTS of self-care and compassion as you go through this process.  As the saying goes, "Don't look back, you aren't going that way."

To check in whether you're on the right track, do post 2-3 days of your food log in the Troubleshooting section.

Some tough love: with that type of history, your hormones are likely a bit out of whack. Use the Whole30 for as long as you need to, to get them in a more stable place.  It may take longer than 30 days.  Be gentle with yourself, and give yourself LOTS of self-care and compassion as you go through this process.  As the saying goes, "Don't look back, you aren't going that way."

To check in whether you're on the right track, do post 2-3 days of your food log in the Troubleshooting section.

This made me cry but in a good way. You're right...it's way past time for me to take care of myself. Self-care has been 100% lacking in my life. Whole30 has helped me see that already.

I will put together a couple days of my food log and post it.

I appreciate the tough love and input. Thank you. :)

I'm having a moment of slight panic!

Husby and I decided to go out for lunch because there was nothing for him to eat in the house. We went out for Thai, and I ordered Massaman curry. It sounded like the perfect fit: chicken, curry, coconut milk, avocado and cashews, and some veggies. I looked it up before I ordered, and the recipe I found didn't include any sugar. But when I actually tasted the dish, it seemed awfully sweet to me. Because I didn't eat any rice, I wound up eating only a small amount of the sauce (I'd guess maybe a tablespoon's worth, just what clung to the chicken and veggies), but I'm worried I may have just ended up eating added sugar.

For the love of everything, please tell me I don't have to start over. That would be sooooooooooooooo depressing.

I'm having a moment of slight panic!

Husby and I decided to go out for lunch because there was nothing for him to eat in the house. We went out for Thai, and I ordered Massaman curry. It sounded like the perfect fit: chicken, curry, coconut milk, avocado and cashews, and some veggies. I looked it up before I ordered, and the recipe I found didn't include any sugar. But when I actually tasted the dish, it seemed awfully sweet to me. Because I didn't eat any rice, I wound up eating only a small amount of the sauce (I'd guess maybe a tablespoon's worth, just what clung to the chicken and veggies), but I'm worried I may have just ended up eating added sugar.

For the love of everything, please tell me I don't have to start over. That would be sooooooooooooooo depressing.

Thai curry paste, unlike Indian-style curry powder, does contain sugar, and also fish sauce which usually contains sugar as well.

I hope you don't have to restart! =\ I guess you weren't planning a whole60?

Accidental sugar/sweetener wouldn't require a restart.

However, if you had accidentally ingested gluten, soy or MSG, that would call for a restart, as those ingredients tend to disrupt the gut. Could you call the restaurant and confirm that these ingredients were not in the curry?

Thai curry paste, unlike Indian-style curry powder, does contain sugar, and also fish sauce which usually contains sugar as well.

I hope you don't have to restart! =\ I guess you weren't planning a whole60?

We keep curry paste in our fridge at all times and it has no sugar at all, nor have I ever seen a bottle of fish sauce with sugar in it. I just assumed that's how those ingredients are.

And no, I'm not doing a Whole 60. I have a ton of family coming to town next week, including a 21-month-old, and I need to be able to be flexible.

I'm trying not to worry too much about it. For me, the Whole 30 is way more about my attitudes and choices than anything else. At least my heart and mind were in the right place!

After much thought, I have decided that I am going to eat Whole9 for at least 90% of the time after this is up.

Dairy and chocolate are the only things I really miss, and I now know I can go a long time without either one of them.

I'd like to have one meal each week set aside that isn't completely with the guidelines. Does anyone think that is too much? Should I go with twice a month? Or just see how my body handles it?

CharDoll that's great!  What day do you plan to post your pictures?  I can't wait to see!

My life is stressful right now, too.  My husband took his grown daughter to Australia for ten days, leaving me with our two ADHD kindergarteners.  I'm trading off watching other people's children during the day so I can leave my children with them at night while I do my graveyard shift.  The trouble with having "two ADHD kindergarteners" is that most of the parents I leave my kids with look shell-shocked after just one night with my kids.  Oh, well.  Life of the special needs mom.  We go through a lot of babysitters.

My kids are strict paleo for the next ten days until my husband returns, so I can prove to him that their behaviors improve on Paleo.  I am begging the babysitters to only feed the food I send with the kids.  I sure hope they listen.  Today is the first day that the kids seem visibly calmer - we're at about day 3 or 4.

As for me, I'm following along with the rest of you but had a slip a few weekends ago so will not finish at the end of the month.  I am staying compliant but am going to start my official count on July 1 in a July 1 thread - I hope people jump over.

Yesterday in anticipation of having four small children at my house by myself for the weekend, I roasted two chickens in the slow cookers; made some chicken pot pie filling from shredded chicken I had stored in my fridge, made chocolate chili and cooked a few rashers of compliant bacon in the oven.  I've got broccoli, asparagus and french green beans ready for the vegetable portion of my weekend, plus cucumber/tomato/onion/red onion for a nice greek salad for myself.  Eggs for breakfast with sweet potato hash.  Paleo muffins for the kids.  I can do this!

Archived