June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

CharDoll that's great! What day do you plan to post your pictures? I can't wait to see!

My life is stressful right now, too. My husband took his grown daughter to Australia for ten days, leaving me with our two ADHD kindergarteners. I'm trading off watching other people's children during the day so I can leave my children with them at night while I do my graveyard shift. The trouble with having "two ADHD kindergarteners" is that most of the parents I leave my kids with look shell-shocked after just one night with my kids. Oh, well. Life of the special needs mom. We go through a lot of babysitters.

My kids are strict paleo for the next ten days until my husband returns, so I can prove to him that their behaviors improve on Paleo. I am begging the babysitters to only feed the food I send with the kids. I sure hope they listen. Today is the first day that the kids seem visibly calmer - we're at about day 3 or 4.

As for me, I'm following along with the rest of you but had a slip a few weekends ago so will not finish at the end of the month. I am staying compliant but am going to start my official count on July 1 in a July 1 thread - I hope people jump over.

Yesterday in anticipation of having four small children at my house by myself for the weekend, I roasted two chickens in the slow cookers; made some chicken pot pie filling from shredded chicken I had stored in my fridge, made chocolate chili and cooked a few rashers of compliant bacon in the oven. I've got broccoli, asparagus and french green beans ready for the vegetable portion of my weekend, plus cucumber/tomato/onion/red onion for a nice greek salad for myself. Eggs for breakfast with sweet potato hash. Paleo muffins for the kids. I can do this!

My kids always act so much better when they eat meat and fruit/veggies and not just carbs/sugar. It is amazing actually.

I will probably post on July 1st as that will be exactly one year since I started w30/paleo and also the day after we finish the current whole 30.

:-)

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We keep curry paste in our fridge at all times and it has no sugar at all, nor have I ever seen a bottle of fish sauce with sugar in it. I just assumed that's how those ingredients are.

And no, I'm not doing a Whole 60. I have a ton of family coming to town next week, including a 21-month-old, and I need to be able to be flexible.

I'm trying not to worry too much about it. For me, the Whole 30 is way more about my attitudes and choices than anything else. At least my heart and mind were in the right place!

Nice! :) I haven't managed to find either product without sugar in my area! Could you tell me the brands, so I can try to source them?

That's an excellent attitude!  :D  Whole30s for me are a learning experience, and I try to take those lessons back into normal ride-my-own-bike life.

Nice! :) I haven't managed to find either product without sugar in my area! Could you tell me the brands, so I can try to source them?

That's an excellent attitude! :D Whole30s for me are a learning experience, and I try to take those lessons back into normal ride-my-own-bike life.

Red Boat fish sauce. NOM nom paleo always writes about it. :-)

After much thought, I have decided that I am going to eat Whole9 for at least 90% of the time after this is up.

Dairy and chocolate are the only things I really miss, and I now know I can go a long time without either one of them.

I'd like to have one meal each week set aside that isn't completely with the guidelines. Does anyone think that is too much? Should I go with twice a month? Or just see how my body handles it?

I plan on following the whole9 as much as possible but will reintroduce alcohol on certain weekends based on my social life. Other than that, I may go for chocolate dessert if it looks like it's worth it. :-)

CharDoll that's great!  What day do you plan to post your pictures?  I can't wait to see!

My life is stressful right now, too.  My husband took his grown daughter to Australia for ten days, leaving me with our two ADHD kindergarteners.  I'm trading off watching other people's children during the day so I can leave my children with them at night while I do my graveyard shift.  The trouble with having "two ADHD kindergarteners" is that most of the parents I leave my kids with look shell-shocked after just one night with my kids.  Oh, well.  Life of the special needs mom.  We go through a lot of babysitters.

My kids are strict paleo for the next ten days until my husband returns, so I can prove to him that their behaviors improve on Paleo.  I am begging the babysitters to only feed the food I send with the kids.  I sure hope they listen.  Today is the first day that the kids seem visibly calmer - we're at about day 3 or 4.

As for me, I'm following along with the rest of you but had a slip a few weekends ago so will not finish at the end of the month.  I am staying compliant but am going to start my official count on July 1 in a July 1 thread - I hope people jump over.

Yesterday in anticipation of having four small children at my house by myself for the weekend, I roasted two chickens in the slow cookers; made some chicken pot pie filling from shredded chicken I had stored in my fridge, made chocolate chili and cooked a few rashers of compliant bacon in the oven.  I've got broccoli, asparagus and french green beans ready for the vegetable portion of my weekend, plus cucumber/tomato/onion/red onion for a nice greek salad for myself.  Eggs for breakfast with sweet potato hash.  Paleo muffins for the kids.  I can do this!

I plan on jumping over to july 1st with you!

That's an excellent attitude!  :D  Whole30s for me are a learning experience, and I try to take those lessons back into normal ride-my-own-bike life.

Exactly! And I do plan on continuing with Paleo. I ate a Paleo diet before I got pregnant (it all fell apart when I craved toast and milk like it was my job) and used time and the new baby as an excuse to keep eating an "easier" American diet. It's a shame it took me so long to return to what I KNOW feels good, but I'm really glad I finally did this. My plan is to eat Paleo at home, but if I have company or go out to eat, to not worry about it.

I actually don't have a bottle of fish sauce in the house right now so I can't name the brand, but any reputable brand will literally have three ingredients (fish, salt, and water). There's no reason to include anything else.  As for the curry paste, I use Thai Kitchen's Red Curry. Ingredients: Red Chili, Garlic, Lemongrass, Galangal, Salt, Onion, Kaffir Lime, Coriander, Pepper  It's the key ingredient in one of my "fast three" meals, which is a curry made with shrimp, sliced bell peppers, onion, coconut milk and curry paste. I simmer all that together and serve it on top of cauliflower rice. Sooooo good and comes together in 15 minutes!

There are a couple July 1 threads started - I don't want to do AIP so won't join that one.  Or we can start our own "July 1st Support Thread".

july 1st support thread is good…either way it will be nice to go further we some of the original crew.

CharDoll that's great!  What day do you plan to post your pictures?  I can't wait to see!

My life is stressful right now, too.  My husband took his grown daughter to Australia for ten days, leaving me with our two ADHD kindergarteners.  I'm trading off watching other people's children during the day so I can leave my children with them at night while I do my graveyard shift.  The trouble with having "two ADHD kindergarteners" is that most of the parents I leave my kids with look shell-shocked after just one night with my kids.  Oh, well.  Life of the special needs mom.  We go through a lot of babysitters.

My kids are strict paleo for the next ten days until my husband returns, so I can prove to him that their behaviors improve on Paleo.  I am begging the babysitters to only feed the food I send with the kids.  I sure hope they listen.  Today is the first day that the kids seem visibly calmer - we're at about day 3 or 4.

As for me, I'm following along with the rest of you but had a slip a few weekends ago so will not finish at the end of the month.  I am staying compliant but am going to start my official count on July 1 in a July 1 thread - I hope people jump over.

Yesterday in anticipation of having four small children at my house by myself for the weekend, I roasted two chickens in the slow cookers; made some chicken pot pie filling from shredded chicken I had stored in my fridge, made chocolate chili and cooked a few rashers of compliant bacon in the oven.  I've got broccoli, asparagus and french green beans ready for the vegetable portion of my weekend, plus cucumber/tomato/onion/red onion for a nice greek salad for myself.  Eggs for breakfast with sweet potato hash.  Paleo muffins for the kids.  I can do this!

My kids are about 90% paleo - they do eat bean chips and rice occasionally.  I am a very firm believer in its benefits for helping kids control their behavior. 

We have thai kitchen red chili paste and red boat fish sauce - both purchased at whole foods and both sugar free.

After much thought, I have decided that I am going to eat Whole9 for at least 90% of the time after this is up.

Dairy and chocolate are the only things I really miss, and I now know I can go a long time without either one of them.

I'd like to have one meal each week set aside that isn't completely with the guidelines. Does anyone think that is too much? Should I go with twice a month? Or just see how my body handles it?

I am going to follow the 10 day re-introduction plan first. I have been wanting to have a little ice cream and a bit of cheese in my omelette and that seems to fit with day 1 reintroduction for dairy. :) Dark chocolate will be my next.

I too plan to really keep myself compliant most of the time. I don't think that sounds like too much as long as you don't go overboard with what you are eating. But yeah, how your body handles it will dictate a lot. I'm hoping things will fall into place after doing this! I also plan to make this a permanent plan in my life by doing the Whole 30 twice a year. I will be back January or February for another go round and again next June.

Exactly! And I do plan on continuing with Paleo. I ate a Paleo diet before I got pregnant (it all fell apart when I craved toast and milk like it was my job) and used time and the new baby as an excuse to keep eating an "easier" American diet. It's a shame it took me so long to return to what I KNOW feels good, but I'm really glad I finally did this. My plan is to eat Paleo at home, but if I have company or go out to eat, to not worry about it.

I actually don't have a bottle of fish sauce in the house right now so I can't name the brand, but any reputable brand will literally have three ingredients (fish, salt, and water). There's no reason to include anything else.  As for the curry paste, I use Thai Kitchen's Red Curry. Ingredients: Red Chili, Garlic, Lemongrass, Galangal, Salt, Onion, Kaffir Lime, Coriander, Pepper  It's the key ingredient in one of my "fast three" meals, which is a curry made with shrimp, sliced bell peppers, onion, coconut milk and curry paste. I simmer all that together and serve it on top of cauliflower rice. Sooooo good and comes together in 15 minutes!

My kids are about 90% paleo - they do eat bean chips and rice occasionally.  I am a very firm believer in its benefits for helping kids control their behavior. 

We have thai kitchen red chili paste and red boat fish sauce - both purchased at whole foods and both sugar free.

That curry sounds amazing, Mads! I'll definitely have to try and find some sugar-free Thai curry paste. :D We don't have Whole Foods in NZ, but I'll see if my local Commonsense Organics stocks that brand or something similar. :)

It's the end of day 30 here in Australia. What a month it has been! I didn't know I could live without alcohol, sugar, grains. I have a new relationship with my kitchen, sweet potato, coconut oil & coconut milk.

I will start my reintroduction tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's company throughout the month. I have enjoyed & been inspired by your posts.

All the best on your eating/health paths!

Here is the beginning of Day 30.  My wife is eager to see how much weight I have lost.  Me?  Not so much.  I may be lessening expectations, but the number is less important to me.  I feel good.  That is what matters.  I also have not had a soda in a month!  That is monumental.  I used to drink multiple litres of soda daily...for 25 years!  I still yearn for it.  Then again, I still have nicotine fits occasionally and it's been more than a decade since I have had tobacco.

I do not plan to stop Whole 30 tomorrow.  I am not finding myself particularly limited this month.  The only lessening I see is when we dine out I may be a bit more agreeable to menu items (butter, etc.).

There is more work to do.  I have not leaned out as much I had hoped.  That may be because I had more to do than I thought. ;)

What has been interesting this month that will serve as a control going forward is that I have not exercised at all.  Not even a minute.  Not that I am proud of that, but it will be interesting to note the dietary changes isolated from next month where I add for exercise back into the daily routine.

Finally, we had our daily barbecue yesterday.  We have been so busy this past week I wasn't concentrating at all on this event.  I cooked what I was told to cook.  I took a look at what we put out for our guests and realized there was nothing there for me to eat.  We served grains at every turn.  The all beef hot dogs were full of ingredients that I was unfamiliar with.  Even my hamburgers had a pat of butter in them to keep them juicy.  So after everyone else was taken care of, I put together a burger sans the butter and grilled some peppers and mushrooms to top it with.  There I sat with my water with lemon (that does not quench my thirst).  I filled up just fine. :)

It's been a good month.

still here!  No issues or hiccups over the weekend, which was spent traveling.  Was in the mood for some potato salad at a picnic yesterday, but saying no was a no-brainier.  Found a compliant recipe using sweet potato that'll I'm going to make for the fourth of July.  I've been eating white potatoes very sparsely for some time now and I'm in no hurry to add them back into my life.

Has anyone else made compliant potato salad?

DAY 30!!!!

I am amazed that I have made it to today. I'm so proud of my self I cant stop smiling. I am planning to continue for a whole 60 so i will be switching over to the June forum. 

To everyone who has made it to today CONGRATS!!! and good luck with your next phase in healthy living.  :D

Happy day 30 everyone! :)

I learned that I can actually go without foods that I thought I couldn't live without, and still feel fulfilled. The feeling of being left out at get togethers is only temporary and goes away after a few minutes, especially when I still feel good later that day and their crying about their tired slump!

My sleep has gotten better, and I wake up feeling so refreshed, bright eyed and bushy tailed. This past week/weekend I actually started my day when I woke up. I didn't have to lay around trying to wake up. I've always had issues with waking up, so this behavior is new to me. I kinda like it. I was able to get things done early enough both Saturday and Sunday that I had the rest of the day to do things that I wanted to do, like play video games. :D

And one major thing...my time of the month is active and I have 0 bloat. Zero! That is unheard of! I'm also not a hormonal wreck either. SCORE!!

Happy day 30 everyone! :)

I learned that I can actually go without foods that I thought I couldn't live without, and still feel fulfilled. The feeling of being left out at get togethers is only temporary and goes away after a few minutes, especially when I still feel good later that day and their crying about their tired slump!

My sleep has gotten better, and I wake up feeling so refreshed, bright eyed and bushy tailed. This past week/weekend I actually started my day when I woke up. I didn't have to lay around trying to wake up. I've always had issues with waking up, so this behavior is new to me. I kinda like it. I was able to get things done early enough both Saturday and Sunday that I had the rest of the day to do things that I wanted to do, like play video games. :D

And one major thing...my time of the month is active and I have 0 bloat. Zero! That is unheard of! I'm also not a hormonal wreck either. SCORE!!

same here!

I usually feel absolutely lousy the first 2 days, and I do still feel weak and uncomfortable, but nowhere near as bad as usual.

None of the usual GI distress, no nausea, the cramping is very different and greatly reduced... and more than that, this is my first normal cycle in.... years.  TMI?  Yeah?  Sorry...   :lol: 

I have a baking side business and do occasional cakes for parties, etc.

This weekend, I made a sheet cake for a party for friends.

At the party, there wasn't anything compliant that I could eat AND I was asked to cut and serve the cake.

I didn't let on that I didn't eat anything and served the cake, then immediately washed the icing off of my hands.   ;) 

I've seen several people they plan to stay with Whole 9 eating 90% of the time.

I'm curious what each person's definition of Whole 9 eating is... because I think that's in line with my plan, but I want to be sure I'm not missing something here.

Archived