June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

Today was good, although not having any coffee means I've felt kind of zombie-ish all day long. BUT, the food was good and my hunger and cravings were totally manageable.

Breakfast was three scrambled eggs and a banana with almond butter

Lunch was a big green salad with two salmon cakes (canned salmon, avocado, flax meal, spices), topped with avocado slices, olive oil, and balsamic

For a snack I had maybe a half ounce of almonds

Dinner was a bowl of creamy broccoli soup (broccoli, cauliflower, chicken broth, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, spices) and a sausage.

Today was also a grocery shopping day, and we did a big Costco run yesterday. The house is fully stocked with meat, seafood, olive and coconut oil, almond and sunbutter, flax, chia, nuts, coconut and almond milk, and our weekly CSA means the fridge is literally over-full with veggies. Plus I made my own ghee today! So... I think I have enough food to see me through now :-D

mshera, can you share your jerky recipe with us? I can't find any that doesn't have sugar and it's one snack I definitely want to have on hand!

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today was good, although not having any coffee means I've felt kind of zombie-ish all day long. BUT, the food was good and my hunger and cravings were totally manageable.

Breakfast was three scrambled eggs and a banana with almond butter

Lunch was a big green salad with two salmon cakes (canned salmon, avocado, flax meal, spices), topped with avocado slices, olive oil, and balsamic

For a snack I had maybe a half ounce of almonds

Dinner was a bowl of creamy broccoli soup (broccoli, cauliflower, chicken broth, coconut milk, nutritional yeast, spices) and a sausage.

Today was also a grocery shopping day, and we did a big Costco run yesterday. The house is fully stocked with meat, seafood, olive and coconut oil, almond and sunbutter, flax, chia, nuts, coconut and almond milk, and our weekly CSA means the fridge is literally over-full with veggies. Plus I made my own ghee today! So... I think I have enough food to see me through now :-D

mshera, can you share your jerky recipe with us? I can't find any that doesn't have sugar and it's one snack I definitely want to have on hand!

Sounds like you had a great first day! A couple of notes that might make your next days even better. Don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate. Try adding veggies to your first meal tomorrow. On the almond milk, did you triple check the ingredients? It is next to impossible to find store bought almond milk without carrageenan in it. Sometimes they are sneaky and have two sets of ingredients lists too. If you are hungry (like could eat something boring hungry) between meals try to make it a mini meal with protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source for Whole30 and one we advice you go easy on as they can be hard on the gut and cause bloating for many people. You should play with portion sizes until you can go 4-5 hours between meals without being hungry. That said it looks like you have a little. If you are breastfeeding than feel free to make your meals on the larger side of the template and include a 4th meal as well.

Good first day for me....though missing my coffee. I hit the farmer's market, Whole Foods & Trader Joes....the pantry & fridge are fully stocked with 100% whole-30 compliant food.

Breakfast was 3 eggs scrambled in ghee with bell peppers, onion & baby spinach. 1 homemade sausage patty & 1/2 cup diced cantaloupe.

Lunch was 2 grilled boneless, skinless chicken thighs with a tomato, carrot, cucumber & basil topping.

Dinner was paleo meatloaf with sautéed zucchini, onions, bell peppers & onion...finished with 1/2 cup watermelon.

Lunch is packed for the morning...

Hello, I started today, too. I shopped Saturday and all of my meals today were good. I tried to choke down some black coffee this morning and I just couldn't do it. I have a pretty bad headache right now but I can't decide if I want to shop for coconut or almond milk and try that or if I want to suck it up and break the coffee addiction.

Anyway, happy to have others to go through this with. :)

I'll hop on here too.  Day 1 of my June Whole30.  I successfully completed Whole30s in September and January.  In January I hit my goal weight but promptly gained most of it back over the past few months.  June will be a re-set for me after a busy, stressful first half of 2014.  My kids have been paleo since September, also, but I think I am going to let myself slack off on that for them, so I can focus on myself again.  They have ADHD and just started some new meds, so it will be a reverse experiment to see if meds alone can control their behaviors.  If not, I'll add the diet back in.

Today I had paleo mushroom soup for breakfast with some bacon; hamburger patty with grilled onions and sweet potatoes for lunch; paleo panang curry for dinner.  Strawberries for fruit today.

I'm off of coffee for the month, too.

My goal this month is to get back on the wagon and exercise.

Hey there everyone! Wow, this thread kinda exploded! So many happy and motivated June-1-sters!

Seems we're all doing great so far. :)

@mshera: Nice to have a "fellow mainland European" on the boat! I definitely feel you re the difficulty sourcing good meat! Maybe we can share our sources and successes on the topic?

I did "allow" myself one coffee per day even though I know my adrenals would prefer me not to. However, after reading about so many of you guys completely kicking that caffeine devil in the butt I feel motivated to go "cold turkey" too. (Holy Glob, wish me luck!)

PS: I keep my detailed log in the "Your Whole30 Log" section, if anyone's interested.

Let's power on, guys and girls! <3

Hello everybody!

I'm so happy this group/thread exist, and I look forward to read it everyday.

I'm a Norwegian girl, living in Spain. I've eaten more or less paleo for almost a year. I struggle with chronic sinusitis plus psoriatic arthritis and therefore, with quite a lot of infections and inflammation in my body I figured I needed to change my diet a year back. I lost quite a lot of weight, which was a pleasant 'side-effect', but after adding dairy products back to my diet in january I've had a lot of pain in my joints again and now finally decided to do a whole30.

I'm very excited about this and truly look forward to not adding any milk proteins, any sources of sweeteners or other things that trigger inflammation in my body. I cut out dairy products again about 2 weeks ago, and I eat as clean as possible, except for a weekly indulgence day where I sometimes have an ice cream and some potato chips. I also love my glass of red wine, so that will be hard to say no to when hanging out with spanish friends, but totally do-able. I also love my sparkling water ;)

The only thing that sucks is the access to organic groceries (and believe me, it's freaking difficult to find a decent organic store around here, they excist but with limited selection. It's nearly impossible to find grass-fed meat and a bunch of other stuff, but I've found a few web pages where I can order it here, so I will definately order bacon and such there, hence to the fat, but probably continue buying lean cuts, beefs and ground (minced) beef at my local, very nice butcher (carniceria), where they also put aside bones for me to make my own broth.

I started today making beef jerky, of fine beef that I put in marinade last night and let soak overnight. It took almost 6 hours in the oven, but sooo worth it. It turned out very well and will be a lifesaver in between classes (I'm a teacher, obviously).

Gosh, this comment turned out longer than I planned.

Anyways, I'm so excited and proud of all of us!

We can do it!!

PS! for those wit IG, my name is @frkhera and I will upload meals once in a while (when it looks decent ;))

- peace

[quote name="mshera" post=

PS! for those wit IG, my name is @frkhera and I will upload meals once in a while (when it looks decent ;))

- peace

I found you just now then realised that you'd added me last night lol! IG has been invaluable to me so far in prep and inspiration a definitely have tool for everyone on here id say!

Hey Everyone,

I just started my first Whole30 on June 1st, I wasn't originally going to join the Forum (scared to maybe put my story out there I don't know), but I decided it was time to reach out for once and join a group to help me through this.  I am doing the Whole30 because I have a problem with food, I love to binge eat in the sense that if the food is good I don't want to stop even if I am full.  Then I will eat to the point of throwing up I will even ask myself while eating why don't I stop I am full etc but just keep on going, definitely a cycle that I am wanting to break.  There is also the tendency to eat the foods that cause me stomach pain, even though it hurts I still eat them.  I am hoping that the Whole30 will help me get a better relationship with food and not to have the impulse to over eat to the point of getting sick.  It feels really good to get my short comings out there and I am motivated and more importantly excited to change.    Since I am posting on the 2nd I just wanted to say my first day started off really well, but went down hill when I got off work and went home for dinner I overate supper (darn roasted veggies and soup why do you taste so good?)  Hopefully today I will have a full day of no over eating :)  Hope everyones Whole30 goes really well today and you reach your goals!!!

~Cheers~

Griff

Griff~

Welcome to the group! I am an extreme emotional eater and can identify with your relationship to food. I have been known to over-eat things I don't even like when I'm stressed, angry or sad. I've also found myself over-eating if I went too long without food. Are you eating too fast? It takes awhile for our brains to register that we've had enough....I'm very guilty of this especially if I've waited too long to eat. So plan your meals, eat slowly, drink a ton of water & try to get some exercise....even just a walk around the block.

Good luck to you & keep posting...we're all here because we need some support!

On the almond milk, did you triple check the ingredients? It is next to impossible to find store bought almond milk without carrageenan in it. Sometimes they are sneaky and have two sets of ingredients lists too. If you are hungry (like could eat something boring hungry) between meals try to make it a mini meal with protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source for Whole30 and one we advice you go easy on as they can be hard on the gut and cause bloating for many people. You should play with portion sizes until you can go 4-5 hours between meals without being hungry. 

Thanks for the feedback! I definitely do not like eating just nuts as a snack, so I'm going to avoid that in the future.

The almond milk is Silk Pure Unsweetened Original -- I checked another forum and it is indeed W30 approved. I don't even use it that often, mostly to replace milk in soups and to make noatmeal.

And the only reason my breakfast looked like that was because that was before we hit up the farmer's market for our CSA -- the only veggie left in the house at that point was lettuce. A woman can only eat so many salads per day. This morning, breakfast was two eggs and sausage over sauteed kale with red wine vinegar - yum!

Thanks, Mads and Chardolls for your answers to me yesterday.

I made it through day 1. I am including smoothies for breakfast, they are not fruit or dairy based, just 1/2 cup berries plus plenty of greens, ginger, garlic, fats and nuts and seeds (chia, hemp, flax, coco butter...). I've been drinking these ever since doing a 10 day detox (which turned into a 30 day detox) in April and they sustain me well until lunch (and I chew them if that makes any sense. ;)  I eat solid food for the rest of the day. I know soy isn't technically allowed on the original whole30 but I am going with the veg guidelines on that for additional protein choices as I don't eat meat for all or even most meals. I do include it at least once a day.

Hope everyone has a great day 2!

I have another question. I'm new to these forums. Since this will be an ongoing thread, and it looks as though it will be very long, is there a way to mark it from where you left off so you don't have to find it each time you come back? There seem to be so many great options/preferences for posting and reading on this site, I'm happy for that but am still trying to figure it out.

I have another question. I'm new to these forums. Since this will be an ongoing thread, and it looks as though it will be very long, is there a way to mark it from where you left off so you don't have to find it each time you come back? There seem to be so many great options/preferences for posting and reading on this site, I'm happy for that but am still trying to figure it out.

If you are viewing it on the same device or computer, it should  bring you back to where you last left off. I know it does that for me when I'm viewing it on my phone. You can also try to remember the page you were reading. Right now we're on page 6.  :-) 

If you sign in and click on your name at the top left, you will get a drop down list.  Click "my content" and it will bring up everything you have posted in.  Click this forum and then click "go to first unread post".

Day 2 - starting off great.  Two eggs fried in ghee, with kale/spinach sauteed in pan afterwards.  Yum-o.

I discovered a new trick.  I have been buying the huge Costco bags of spinach and of kale, and each time, the bags spoil before I can get to the end.  This month, I threw the entire unopened bags in the freezer.  Once frozen, I opened the bags and smashed up the frozen veggies.  I keep the bags in my freezer and now can just reach for a handful of each whenever I want to.  Before, I was having trouble incorporating leafy greens into my diet because I hated the waste.  Today it was the easiest veggie for me to access for my breakfast.

My other go-to is to send a bunch of uncooked sweet potatoes through my food processor grater and bag that up in my freezer.  I love nomnompaleo's sweet potato hash with fried eggs for breakfast.

Finally, I made this cream of mushroom soup last week because I had a bunch of mushrooms that were going bad.  It is to die for.  I freeze my soup in muffin tins and then keep the individual portions in a bag in my freezer.  I usually drink soup for breakfast on the months that I am off of coffee - as I am this month.

http://againstallgrain.com/2012/03/22/cream-of-mushroom-soup-scd-paleo-vegan-option/

It's a big weird not thinking about what my kids are going to eat, as I have tried to have them paleo, too.  But I need a break to take care of myself, and my husband isn't fully on board for the kids, so every time I am gone, he does not keep them paleo.  So this month is just for me.

I'm off to the gym.

If you sign in and click on your name at the top left, you will get a drop down list.  Click "my content" and it will bring up everything you have posted in.  Click this forum and then click "go to first unread post".

Hi, Thanks so much. I got as far as clicking on this forum but then didn't see "go to first unread post" anywhere?

Thanks, Mads and Chardolls for your answers to me yesterday.

I made it through day 1. I am including smoothies for breakfast, they are not fruit or dairy based, just 1/2 cup berries plus plenty of greens, ginger, garlic, fats and nuts and seeds (chia, hemp, flax, coco butter...). I've been drinking these ever since doing a 10 day detox (which turned into a 30 day detox) in April and they sustain me well until lunch (and I chew them if that makes any sense. ;)  I eat solid food for the rest of the day. I know soy isn't technically allowed on the original whole30 but I am going with the veg guidelines on that for additional protein choices as I don't eat meat for all or even most meals. I do include it at least once a day.

Hope everyone has a great day 2!

I would beg you to consider giving up your smoothies for 30 days and just give it a try. You can always go back to them later.

As for the vegetarian guidelines...those are meant for people who don't eat ANY of the protein options listed on the regular shopping lists. We don't want you mixing between the two...it will alter your results. This article might be a good read for you. http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/

I am so darn happy to be back to a Whole30. It removes all the dietary guess work. Is it weird that I like rules? I hope you're all having a successful second day!

Be well,

I am completely new to Whole 30 and Paleo in general. My first day was June 1st. I am a nurse practitioner and the doctor I work with did Whole 30 last September and also does CrossFit. She recommends the program highly! I am about 25-30 pounds above my goal weight. I have lost and regained the same 3 pounds since February. Last June 24, I gave birth to my 4th baby (5 kids total, one is a step). I gained 67 pounds with that pregnancy! Obviously, she'll be 1 year at the end of this month and I am still just hanging on to weight. I have exercised, counted points, done Nutrisystem, and counted calories. In the past, counting points worked but I usually end up eating a ton of processed food. I am 38 years old and I now want to be more than "skinny". I want HEALTH! I am hoping to get pregnant with our 6th and final child as soon as possible and I need a way of eating that is compatible with pregnancy and doesn't rely on my counting the points/calories in all the processed junk I'm eating. Today is Day 2 and I haven't eaten off plan but I found myself HUNGRY about 2 hours before lunch time today ( I would have gladly taken steamed fish and broccoli). I ate a few almonds and it helped a lot. I know I will get the hang of it and look forward to words of advise from those of you on your 2nd, 3rd, 4th... go 'round. 

Heather

Thanks Chardoll!

I'm on day 2 and things are going well. I'm feeling full longer after my meals than when I ate my typical garbage-food. Although I also feel a slight headache coming on. But I knew that was likely during this process!

But I do have a question about meat. I know that grass-fed, organic, and wild-caught are better, but if i can't afford that, is the whole30 still gonna be effective?

Hi, Thanks so much. I got as far as clicking on this forum but then didn't see "go to first unread post" anywhere?

Very top of the forum, on the right, just above long grey bar.  Next to the green "reply to this topic" button.

But you have to be signed in for it to work.  Did you sign in?

Or you didn't have any unread posts so it didn't show up.  If you have unread posts, the name of the forum shows up in bold.

Archived