June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question for an advanced member...

I noticed on NomNomPaleo that she said she was so happy to be able to go back to eating bacon and macadamia nuts after her Whole30 was over.  I was under the impression that these foods where actually encouraged, assuming the bacon is 100% grass fed/pastured and organic.  What's the story?

Thanks in advance for your help : )

I noticed on NomNomPaleo that she said she was so happy to be able to go back to eating bacon and macadamia nuts after her Whole30 was over.  I was under the impression that these foods where actually encouraged, assuming the bacon is 100% grass fed/pastured and organic.  What's the story?

Bacon has to be sugar-free with compliant ingredients for a Whole30. Some people have too much trouble finding bacon that meets this criteria, so they forego it for their Whole30.

Macadamia nuts are allowed in limited quantities. Some have trouble limiting nuts, so they skip them on their Whole30.

Bacon must be sugar free which not everyone can find. Macadamia nuts are fine as long as nothing non-compliant added to them. I didn't see her personal context for giving those two things up so I guess you'd have to ask her why. 

Very top of the forum, on the right, just above long grey bar.  Next to the green "reply to this topic" button.

But you have to be signed in for it to work.  Did you sign in?

Or you didn't have any unread posts so it didn't show up.  If you have unread posts, the name of the forum shows up in bold.

Thank you! That didn't pop up the last time but it did this time. : )

I also started June 1st.

My second Whole30.  My first one was Jan 1st of this year.  Loved it!  I felt amazing after the initial sugar detox.

I do good with eating clean/Paleo until I start stressing.

I work a full time job, go to school part time for Nursing.

This last semester was a rough one and with a foot surgery thown in there (10 days post op today from double bunion surgery) I went off the rails with my sugar.  I was at a box of candy a day.  LOL, ok, two boxes.....

Got my sister to join me doing this round. 

I hoping the Whole30 will also help with my healing process.  It can't hurt it, right!?!!!

Best wishes to all of you along for the journey!

Steph

I would beg you to consider giving up your smoothies for 30 days and just give it a try. You can always go back to them later.

As for the vegetarian guidelines...those are meant for people who don't eat ANY of the protein options listed on the regular shopping lists. We don't want you mixing between the two...it will alter your results. This article might be a good read for you. http://whole9life.com/2013/02/eating-meat-a-primer-for-the-meat-challenged-2/

Hello and thank you so much for the link and your suggestions. I am actually doing another whole foods diet which I plan on continuing to follow. It has many of the same elements as Whole30. I was introduced to Whole30 by a friend recently and read a lot of the information on line and subscribed to the Whole30 daily e-mails. Yesterday I joined this forum for support. I thought that the two programs were generally compatible even though there are some differences, but I see now from your input and other posts that they are not as compatible as I thought. Sorry for my misunderstanding. Probably it doesn't make much sense for me to continue on this forum. Thanks again for your help. This is a great forum with lots of nice features and it's helpful to have the moderators too!

Best to all June 1st starters!!!

I am completely new to Whole 30 and Paleo in general. My first day was June 1st. I am a nurse practitioner and the doctor I work with did Whole 30 last September and also does CrossFit. She recommends the program highly! I am about 25-30 pounds above my goal weight. I have lost and regained the same 3 pounds since February. Last June 24, I gave birth to my 4th baby (5 kids total, one is a step). I gained 67 pounds with that pregnancy! Obviously, she'll be 1 year at the end of this month and I am still just hanging on to weight. I have exercised, counted points, done Nutrisystem, and counted calories. In the past, counting points worked but I usually end up eating a ton of processed food. I am 38 years old and I now want to be more than "skinny". I want HEALTH! I am hoping to get pregnant with our 6th and final child as soon as possible and I need a way of eating that is compatible with pregnancy and doesn't rely on my counting the points/calories in all the processed junk I'm eating. Today is Day 2 and I haven't eaten off plan but I found myself HUNGRY about 2 hours before lunch time today ( I would have gladly taken steamed fish and broccoli). I ate a few almonds and it helped a lot. I know I will get the hang of it and look forward to words of advise from those of you on your 2nd, 3rd, 4th... go 'round. 

Heather

Wow! Amazing. 5 kids! And I thought losing the baby weight from my two children was hard!!! Brava!! I started this last July after trying to "cut back" and "eat right" and not getting very far. It has helped me so much, and I'm never going back to the s.a.d. (Lost the baby weight and now almost to the size I was for my wedding) What did you eat for breakfast? Perhaps you need to add more protein, fat or some sweet potato. I like to eat a big breakfast because it helps me stay full and balanced feeling all day. I usually have 3 fried eggs, spinach or cabbage sautéed in coconut oil, and a sweet potato baked in the microwave then mashed with coconut oil, cinnamon and chia seeds. I too am looking forward to sticking to this diet when and if we have a 3rd child. Hopefully, like you said I won't gain 60-70lbs the third time like I did with my first two!

Also to help the hunger... Make sure you're drinking enough water. A lot of times our brain interprets thirst as hunger.

:-)

Hello and thank you so much for the link and your suggestions. I am actually doing another whole foods diet which I plan on continuing to follow. It has many of the same elements as Whole30. I was introduced to Whole30 by a friend recently and read a lot of the information on line and subscribed to the Whole30 daily e-mails. Yesterday I joined this forum for support. I thought that the two programs were generally compatible even though there are some differences, but I see now from your input and other posts that they are not as compatible as I thought. Sorry for my misunderstanding. Probably it doesn't make much sense for me to continue on this forum. Thanks again for your help. This is a great forum with lots of nice features and it's helpful to have the moderators too!

Best to all June 1st starters!!!

I think that your whole foods diet probably fits in well with the Whole 9 approach: healthy & whole foods, lots of activity, stress management, good sleep, etc etc.  The Whole30 is a dietary challenge with very specific (strict) rules that are harder to combine. So if you decide not to do W30, that's understandable. But consider reading "It Starts with Food" and learning more about the Paleo lifestyle. Just because you don't want to do this challenge right now doesn't mean you can't integrate some of its principals.

Day 2 went well. Did have some stress issues come up. Instead of running around trying to do everything after work for family (cook dinner, make lunches, clean etc) , I took 20 minutes just to lay down and close my eyes. I actually dozed off for 15 minutes and it was just what I needed. My mind was telling me to go binge on crap and then rid of it. But of course it did, it's always been what I defaulted to. I. Retraining myself. So I told the binge evil to shut up. :-)

Ate good dinner with 2 fats 3 cups veggies, sweet potato coconut flakes and 6 ounces chicken.. Still hungry so ate a few celery sticks to fill up.

I did run today for 30 minutes and did a 45 minute non impact toning class. So it explains extra hunger today.

Would someone please share what "Bulletproof Coffee" really tastes like?  It has Ghee and Coconut Oil used as cream?  I think it would be difficult to find over the road on my State-cation (vacation).

I haven't tasted black coffee in 10 years.   It does taste more like acid than the wonderful cream version.

The actual Bulletproof Coffee also includes a type of coffee grounds that is supposed to make very smooth-tasting coffee.  The ghee and coconut oil are then blended in with a stick blender in a Mason jar (like I do), or in a blender, to make a thicker, frothy coffee similar to coffee with cream.  I tried it during my first Whole30 and felt it to be like mainlining caffeine.  The fat brought the caffeine straight into my blood stream and my heart started pounding after the first few sips.  I ended up going off of caffeine completely during my January Whole30 and felt really good about it.  I started drinking coffee socially in the months afterwards but it never felt right to me again, so I am off of coffee for this Whole30.

Whole30's "approved" list did not use to include bacon.  She did her Whole30s before it got added to the list.  Now sugar-free bacon is permitted.  I don't know about macadamia nuts.

I think that your whole foods diet probably fits in well with the Whole 9 approach: healthy & whole foods, lots of activity, stress management, good sleep, etc etc.  The Whole30 is a dietary challenge with very specific (strict) rules that are harder to combine. So if you decide not to do W30, that's understandable. But consider reading "It Starts with Food" and learning more about the Paleo lifestyle. Just because you don't want to do this challenge right now doesn't mean you can't integrate some of its principals.

Thanks, Mads. I've read lots about the Paleo diet and lifestyle and I'm integrating lots of the principles. My "diet" also starts with a strict period and eliminates most of the same foods and more....sugar (including fruit), alcohol, grains & wheat, legumes (w/ exception of tofu and tempeh), dairy, potatoes (as well as many other starchy vegetables), msg and any and all processed foods and junk foods. It also includes numerous lifestyle choices like exercise, sleep, stress management, etc. The biggest difference seems to be the amount of animal products. While I eat grass fed organic meats and eggs, if I am understanding correctly, the Paleo diet would include much more of them and would also allow more processed meats such as bacon & sausage if they are the unprocessed kind. Thanks again for your post.

I am so darn happy to be back to a Whole30. It removes all the dietary guess work. Is it weird that I like rules? I hope you're all having a successful second day!

Be well,

This is definitely one of the reasons why I pretty much stick to w30 all the time. My main occasional non paleo indulgences are 72% cacao dark chocolate and corn chips (at the Mexican restaurant). Haha. Other than those, I like the rules of paleo/w30. It's almost easier than eating whatever and trying to "eat right". :-)

Today was day 2, and I'm shocked and thrilled that I didn't have the Day 2 Hangover. I didn't even have a caffeine withdrawal headache -- amazing!

The stress management/ no chocolate thing is getting to me today though. Long story short -- the boss was gonna give me a promotion because I created three new programs at our nonprofit. Instead, she spent the money to cover holes she left in the previous fiscal year, so no promotion for me and no more new programs for anyone! >:( :(  Normally, this would be my cue to eat ice cream and rant and throw things.  So I'm trying to find better ways to deal with the anger. So far, it's been ranting, loud music, then lots of baby cuddles. i still want to eat a lot of chocolate but I know my husband will keep me on the level!!

All that said, I feel GOOD today, physically. Awesome food!

Breakfast: Two fried eggs over sauteed kale with red wine vinegar, sausage

Lunch: Big ol' salad with tuna, balsamic vinaigrette (homemade), avocado

Snack: Leftover salmon patty and Sea Snax

Dinner: Pork and pepper curry over caulirice.

I'm really excited about the curry, actually. I think the coconut milk will give me enough sweet kick to make me not want chocolate so badly. Now that baby's asleep, it's time to eat it and see!

Day 2 went great. I'm ready for Day 3.

I will be so happy when Day 30 gets here because I *know* I will feel better. Whole30 gets rid of almost all of my food allergens (except nuts, which I don't play around with). Since this is my third W30, I'm hoping I'm smart enough this time to keep my eating plan clean of "junk".

So I've been feeling pretty gross after each of my meals. Like nauseated but not throwing up, just my stomach is uncomfortable. Plus I've had a dull headache all day (but that's pretty typical, right?). Here's what I ate today: (I'm breastfeeding a 4 month-old, btw)

Meal 1: scrambled eggs w a bit of coconut milk in it, scrambled in coconut oil, and a large portion of salsa (avocado, tomato, celery, orange bell pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder)

Meal 2: squash cooked in olive oil. A slice of watermelon. Salad w green bell pepper, tomato, cocktail cucumbers, grilled chicken, and dressing (mayo, mustard, olive oil, apple cider vinegar).

Meal 3: Roasted asparagus and squash w avocado oil, salt and garlic powder. Grilled chicken w compliant BBQ spice. And one banana.

Am I eating too much fat? I feel like things are greasy sometimes and I wonder if that's what's making me feel so gross. Or maybe it's just part of the process?

Also, my husband is on day 2 as well and he threw up today. Is that normal? He ate:

Meal 1: scrambled eggs w veggies cooked in olive oil.

Meal 2: chicken chunks w homemade mayo, celery, almond slices, apple slices, and half of an avocado.

And then he threw up, like 6 hours later (he wasn't hungry for dinner since he felt so gross before he finally puked.) and he says he doesn't feel better now. Did he maybe catch something or have a bad reaction, you think?

We are both just feeling kinda gross so far... :(

I had a slight challenge today. One of my good friends sent me an Edible Arrangement out of the blue today. It had chocolate covered strawberries and chocolate w/cinnamon toffee covered green apple slices mixed in with all the other fruits.

Thankfully, I was at work and was able to give out everything but a few pieces that I kept for myself. Watermelon, kiwi and pineapple!

I've had a headache most of the day. Not from caffeine withdrawal, probably from lack of sugar!

Other than that, today was a good day. :)

So I've been feeling pretty gross after each of my meals. Like nauseated but not throwing up, just my stomach is uncomfortable. Plus I've had a dull headache all day (but that's pretty typical, right?). Here's what I ate today: (I'm breastfeeding a 4 month-old, btw)

<snip>

Too much fat makes me feel gross too.

Meal 1: scrambled eggs w a bit of coconut milk in it, scrambled in coconut oil, and a large portion of salsa (avocado, tomato, celery, orange bell pepper, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder)

Meal 2: squash cooked in olive oil. A slice of watermelon. Salad w green bell pepper, tomato, cocktail cucumbers, grilled chicken, and dressing (mayo, mustard, olive oil, apple cider vinegar).

Meal 3: Roasted asparagus and squash w avocado oil, salt and garlic powder. Grilled chicken w compliant BBQ spice. And one banana.

Am I eating too much fat? I feel like things are greasy sometimes and I wonder if that's what's making me feel so gross. Or maybe it's just part of the process?

Also, my husband is on day 2 as well and he threw up today. Is that normal? He ate:

Meal 1: scrambled eggs w veggies cooked in olive oil.

Meal 2: chicken chunks w homemade mayo, celery, almond slices, apple slices, and half of an avocado.

And then he threw up, like 6 hours later (he wasn't hungry for dinner since he felt so gross before he finally puked.) and he says he doesn't feel better now. Did he maybe catch something or have a bad reaction, you think?

How different is this from how you were eating before? It is possible that if you were not eating a lot of meat before you might need digestive enzymes to assist while your body builds up the gut flora it needs.  

It is also possible that you are getting hit with some sort of bug or you ate something that was off. Your fat portions look fine to me.

Archived