June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

Last night I was thinking about my boyfriend's upcoming visit (he currently lives in another state, and is making the transition to move here) and was thinking about what all meals I can cook for him. It won't be hard for him to eat a Whole30 lifestyle, his mother is a no processed foods type of cook (yay!).

I was thinking of the first night he'll be here. I pick him up at the airport that evening and I know things will be rushed, so I was thinking of ordering a thin crust pizza to feed us. Then the thought of eating bread made me feel sooooooooo nauseous!

Have any of you experienced that yet? Where the thought of eating something bad for you makes you feel sick?

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AsOctoberFalls, that's amazing! I hope this is the real deal for you! Be sure and keep us updated.

This morning my breakfast was broccoli and pico de gallo in scrambled eggs with avocado on top. It was so delicious! And that made me laugh. Who am I ??

Y'all we are halfway to 30!!!

I also finished out the challenging weekend!  We were low on groceries because we had some other expenses crop up that took some of our grocery money, so I was cobbling together meals.  Today starts a new week, and I will be eating better-balanced meals this evening! 

Just over two weeks in, and my eczema...which has been an infected, inflamed, itchy mess for the past 2.5 years...is clear right now.  My hands are clear, no eczema, no cracked and bleeding areas.  I'm astounded.  I've tried EVERYTHING, and nothing has helped.  Despite all my doctors insisting that it's NOT food related... could it be so simple?  It has cleared up for a week or so a couple of times, so I'm not calling this a complete success yet.  But this is the most hopeful I've been in ages.  If it stays clear for the duration of this month, I'll know I'm onto something.  I'll share pics at the end!

Woohoooo!!

I'm still waiting to see my psoriasis improve.  It's stopped weaping and flaking at the moment but is still thick and itchy.

I'm realizing this may take me more than 30 days to see real progress, and that some probiotics may be necessary.

I do part time baking on the side and had agreed to do cupcakes for a friend's wedding shower this weekend.

The cupcakes turned out beautifully and it was a shame to not have one, but I let my hubby do the taste-testing and had a piece of watermelon instead  :) 

After yesterday's craziness, I'm feeling quite great today.  Can you all believe we are over halfway to 30?!
Anyone else feeling enthusiastic and energetic today?

You could order the pizza if the toppings were top notch and up to code.  If you have resolve to only eat the toppings and throw the crust away...you can share that with your fella.

Yesterday, we made a great Father's Day dinner for my Dad and Mom.   Everything was special.   I didn't blubber over not partaking in the things they could.   I'm just so grateful I still have them both.   You see, I live a short distance away and take care of them each and every day.   It's a privilege that my siblings are missing out on.

Yeah, I've thought about ordering a pizza that is loaded with veggies and meats and not eating the bread. :)

Dad died 18 years ago today, which fell on Father's Day, so it is a little bittersweet for me. I live an hour from Mom and I can't wait till I can move back down closer to her. She isn't so spry in her steps anymore. Good on you for being near them and helping out.

I was out of eggs and short on time this morning so for breakfast at work I had a grilled piece of chicken & tomatoes w/ olive oil.  Not bad!

That sounds tasty! I wonder if you could add basil to it as a quasi-bruschetta?

I do part time baking on the side and had agreed to do cupcakes for a friend's wedding shower this weekend.

The cupcakes turned out beautifully and it was a shame to not have one, but I let my hubby do the taste-testing and had a piece of watermelon instead  :) 

After yesterday's craziness, I'm feeling quite great today.  Can you all believe we are over halfway to 30?!

Anyone else feeling enthusiastic and energetic today?

I'm feeling hopeful today.

Day 16! My first Whole30, and I've been doing really well! My husband isn't really on board, so it's been tough with the temptations around me. But, I have been 100% compliant from what I can tell.

My concern is...I really don't feel any different! I never felt the hangover at the beginning (I had already significantly reduced my gluten intake which I think was most of my problem), and I'm not getting fantastic sleep, great skin, or loads of energy!  :( 

Will it kick in soon, or does it just not work for everyone?

Day 16! My first Whole30, and I've been doing really well! My husband isn't really on board, so it's been tough with the temptations around me. But, I have been 100% compliant from what I can tell.

My concern is...I really don't feel any different! I never felt the hangover at the beginning (I had already significantly reduced my gluten intake which I think was most of my problem), and I'm not getting fantastic sleep, great skin, or loads of energy!  :( 

Will it kick in soon, or does it just not work for everyone?

First off, a gentle reminder that it's a 30 day program. http://whole30.com/2014/01/whole30-tough-love/  Hang in there, and keep going.

People respond differently to a Whole30 at various points. Much depends on how you ate beforehand, as well as your medical history, nightly sleep, exercise, stress, hydration levels etc.

If you would like to get feedback as to whether you're on the right track, post 2-3 days worth of your food log, as well as nightly hours of sleep, daily water consumption and exercise in the Troubleshooting section. Folks here can give you feedback on possible tweaks. 

bbwalker, I feel the same way too. I feel slight changes but not something I would say WOW! about.  I think maybe our magic will happen a bit later.  It certainly won't hurt to stay with it but I understand your frustration/disappointment.  I see post of people losing 12-15 lbs (that got on the scale) and it makes me feel like I am not doing it correctly or something.

Yeah, I've thought about ordering a pizza that is loaded with veggies and meats and not eating the bread. :)

Dad died 18 years ago today, which fell on Father's Day, so it is a little bittersweet for me. I live an hour from Mom and I can't wait till I can move back down closer to her. She isn't so spry in her steps anymore. Good on you for being near them and helping out.

Day 16. went well. running out of food so doubled the handful of olives for meal 3. delicious but still felt like i need something more filling with protein and veggies than just olives.

Are you still not doing pre and post workout meals? Try that. I lost weight when I added those, fwiw, if that's your goal. I can't remember, are you eating starchy vegetables?

Are you still not doing pre and post workout meals? Try that. I lost weight when I added those, fwiw, if that's your goal. I can't remember, are you eating starchy vegetables?

I am doing post now…I added sweet potato with my eggs and other veggies. can't believe how much that little addition helped. I still am struggling with pre workout meal CharDoll. I wake up really early. But I eat breakfast within 30 min-1 hour after working out with coffee+coconut oil.

I also add carrots to most meals and an additional half of a sweet potato to dinner. I feel like I eat so much more than many that post here but it works for me for now so I'm not trying to get caught in comparison trap (it's hard though when you read people who just aren't hungry, etc) !!!!!!    

I do feel I need to up my fat as an experiment and cut back on the amount of veggies (3+ cups at lunch and dinner along with 2 fats such as avocado and olives). Any thoughts on that. I do exercise regularly so clearly i'm fueling my body to support my physical efforts but it's also mental too. I've cut back greatly on distance running and do about 45 min-1 hr a day of walk/run/light strength and some lifting here and there. Let's just say my goal is 10,000 steps a day and most days I achieve that.

I'm really struggling with breakfasts for this week.  I can't think of a single thing I want to eat for breakfast.  I know it's just "meal 1" and I can and should eat dinner foods, but I'm having a REALLY hard time breaking the association of "breakfast" foods.  I love bagels, cereal, toast, breakfast sandwiches, etc.  I don't like eggs or sausage.  This has honestly been the toughest thing for me about the whole 30.

I can't eat eggs but my go-to breakfast has been sauteed onions (yes! for breakfast!) ground pork, bell peppers and half an apple with some kind of greens like spinach 'sweated' in at the end. It's sweet and savory at the same time and very filling. Sometimes i throw in avocado too. The hardest part is not the time it takes to cook (mere minutes as I pre-chop everything at the weekend) but the time is takes to eat! I still haven't mastered savoring my food as I'm normally having to eat it quickly. Good luck! 

Happy day 16! For some reason I am tired today. Almost feel like I need coffee (which I chose to give up too) Maybe the sugar has finally vacated my system and the fat burning has started instead? I've been drinking lots of water and eating really well. Tons of food prep this weekend again- I'm not sure how long I will be able to keep that up but I've had some great recipes from Well Fed 1 and 2. My fav so far is the shepherds pie (minus the egg whites which no self respecting English girl would add to shepherds pie anyway!) with the cauliflower mash topping. Real comfort food. 

I'm like many others and not really feeling loser clothes (too much good food?) but I am seeing clearer skin. The inflammation in my back is not much calmer either, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Happy day 16! For some reason I am tired today. Almost feel like I need coffee (which I chose to give up too) Maybe the sugar has finally vacated my system and the fat burning has started instead? I've been drinking lots of water and eating really well. Tons of food prep this weekend again- I'm not sure how long I will be able to keep that up but I've had some great recipes from Well Fed 1 and 2. My fav so far is the shepherds pie (minus the egg whites which no self respecting English girl would add to shepherds pie anyway!) with the cauliflower mash topping. Real comfort food. 

I'm like many others and not really feeling loser clothes (too much good food?) but I am seeing clearer skin. The inflammation in my back is not much calmer either, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

I have a baby who sometimes sleeps through the night, but not always, so I couldn't give up my coffee just yet :-) I'm feeling tired with you, though...

I'll have to try the Shepherd's Pie. My favorite so far has been the Pad Thai. So good!

bbwalker, I feel the same way too. I feel slight changes but not something I would say WOW! about. I think maybe our magic will happen a bit later. It certainly won't hurt to stay with it but I understand your frustration/disappointment. I see post of people losing 12-15 lbs (that got on the scale) and it makes me feel like I am not doing it correctly or something.

Bluntness alert: the only thing you're not doing correctly is comparing yourself to others. You're YOU. You have your own genetic and physical makeup. Those people who got on the scale during the w30 and boasted about losing weight? They're also doing it wrong. You know why? Because they're tying worth and success up in a number. Want to lose weight? Move to the moon. I guarantee you'll be happy with the number on the scale. Focus on yourself, how you feel, your many successes, your own discipline, and quality of life. Your results may not end up being extremely visible. They may be in the numbers the next time you have blood work done. They may be in improved sleep quality. They may be in your workout performance. They may be in your mental alertness and ability to handle stress. Other people may be having more immediate and drastic results because they need to make more immediate and drastic changes. And those people might also still be struggling with things that you find easy and natural. Everyone in this forum is on an individual journey, and has his or her own battles to fight.

You are YOU. You keep doing you. Wishing for the perceived success of others is a waste of good energy.

I had a few fails this weekend - exactly as predicted around day 10ish like the moderator said.  So it's a re-start for me, too.  Darn, I really wanted to have it be a nice and neat June 1 start, June 30 end.

Anyway, last month I was also trying to do a whole30 and ended up following a board where everyone fudged, then "there, there'd" each other for making a mistake, and then they said "but I'm not starting over ......"  It ended up not being a successful month for many of them.

I count on the moderators to hold me accountable.  I wanted to not tell anyone that I was non-compliant this weekend and just keep moving forward.  But I know what happens to me.  The first time I cheat and hide it, makes it easier for the next time, and suddenly the month has ended and I have cheated every few days about something.

So here I am, the end of my whole 30 is now a messy July 15.  Ok, well, July 15 is a nice number - I can do that.  But my breach means I can't partake of a bunch of fun Independence Day foods.  I'll have to start planning our compliant celebration now.

So -

Last night I spiralized a bunch of zucchini and made spaghetti with meat sauce for myself and the kids.  It was delicious.

This morning I had compliant bacon, eggs and sauteed zucchini (the pieces that the spiralizer left).  There's steak in the fridge that I got on sale, so will have that for dinner tonight, with grilled mushrooms and onions.  Lunch will be leftover zoodles spaghetti.

Thanks for letting me tag along.  This is my tenth month following whole30 boards and it is helping me keep my weight off to have a supportive group to share my travails with, and firm moderators to keep me compliant.

drtracyb, I love your post. Thanks for being honest and not hiding or pretending it didn't happen. The rest of us can learn from you so it helps to hear both sides of the story. I'm glad you are going to start right over and stick around. :)

Bluntness alert: the only thing you're not doing correctly is comparing yourself to others. You're YOU. You have your own genetic and physical makeup. Those people who got on the scale during the w30 and boasted about losing weight? They're also doing it wrong. You know why? Because they're tying worth and success up in a number. Want to lose weight? Move to the moon. I guarantee you'll be happy with the number on the scale. Focus on yourself, how you feel, your many successes, your own discipline, and quality of life. Your results may not end up being extremely visible. They may be in the numbers the next time you have blood work done. They may be in improved sleep quality. They may be in your workout performance. They may be in your mental alertness and ability to handle stress. Other people may be having more immediate and drastic results because they need to make more immediate and drastic changes. And those people might also still be struggling with things that you find easy and natural. Everyone in this forum is on an individual journey, and has his or her own battles to fight.

You are YOU. You keep doing you. Wishing for the perceived success of others is a waste of good energy.

Very well said!

Archived