June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

I made up a yummy snack for my son today and thought it was delicious!

A handful of blueberries, about 2 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce, about 2 tbsp coconut milk (I use trader joes), about 2 tbsp shredded unsweetened raw coconut, 1 tbsp raw almond butter. It was awesome. You can eat this with a meal to help increase your fat intake. And almond butter is a great protein source. I think it'll help keep you full longer. Good luck!

While technically compliant, a better choice is to have a mini meal that contains at least a protein and fat. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Possible examples:

- chicken, salmon or tuna salad made with compliant mayo

- compliant prosciutto with olives

- sardines and sliced avocado

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 19 y'all.

My best friend told me yesterday that she is really proud of me for sticking it out this long and is surprised at my iron will. It was nice to hear that.

I hope you all have a great day!

Day 19 y'all.

My best friend told me yesterday that she is really proud of me for sticking it out this long and is surprised at my iron will. It was nice to hear that.

I hope you all have a great day!

Way to go!

I don't think I could have stuck it out if DH wasn't doing it with me. 

Day 18 here and I still feel pretty terrible. Headaches, lightheaded a lot, very tired, even with enough sleep, and little energy. I know I need to up my starchy carbs, but I'm having trouble finding veggies that I like that I can tolerate in the mornings. Stomach upset is still here, too...

Anyone else still feeling kinda crummy?

Way to go!

I don't think I could have stuck it out if DH wasn't doing it with me. 

Thankfully I live alone, so that makes it really easy. I've only gotten a few <_< from family, and my friends support it.

Day 18 here and I still feel pretty terrible. Headaches, lightheaded a lot, very tired, even with enough sleep, and little energy. I know I need to up my starchy carbs, but I'm having trouble finding veggies that I like that I can tolerate in the mornings. Stomach upset is still here, too...

Anyone else still feeling kinda crummy?

I make these http://nutritiousplate.com/2010/04/06/roasted-sweet-potatoes-coins/ every few days. I get a big sweet potato and after they're done cooking, I split it up into 2 or 3 baggies and eat those with my lunch.

I can tell a major difference when I eat them and when I don't.

Edited to add: I don't even like sweet potatoes and I will eat those. They are delicious!

Good morning and happy *checks date* day 19, everyone! So it's a beautiful day here where I am, and I've really been enjoying quality time, working, eating well, and watching movies with loved ones.

Today I'm burnt out on working, and just want to spend the day AWAY from the computer. Anyone else feel that way sometimes? So after I check in here, I'm closing up my laptop, setting aside the phone, and doing a lot of pencil to paper work.

Also: question, because I love reading food-related books. How else, besides the internet, do you like to learn about food? Books? Movies/documentaries? Cooking shows? What are your favorites? I'm currently devouring Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. Excellent read.

Good morning and happy *checks date* day 19, everyone! So it's a beautiful day here where I am, and I've really been enjoying quality time, working, eating well, and watching movies with loved ones.

Today I'm burnt out on working, and just want to spend the day AWAY from the computer. Anyone else feel that way sometimes? So after I check in here, I'm closing up my laptop, setting aside the phone, and doing a lot of pencil to paper work.

Also: question, because I love reading food-related books. How else, besides the internet, do you like to learn about food? Books? Movies/documentaries? Cooking shows? What are your favorites? I'm currently devouring Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. Excellent read.

Yes!! All the time. My work is computer related, so I am in front of a computer 8-10 hours a day. Being on a computer is the last thing I want to do when I leave for the day. Weekends are spent nearly without being on one.

When I had cable, I really enjoyed watching Food Network. Especially Alton Brown. I learned how to cook my steak from him. I really enjoy how he puts the science into cooking.

I make these http://nutritiousplate.com/2010/04/06/roasted-sweet-potatoes-coins/ every few days. I get a big sweet potato and after they're done cooking, I split it up into 2 or 3 baggies and eat those with my lunch.

Edited to add: I don't even like sweet potatoes and I will eat those. They are delicious!

Those look really good!

During the winter we eat roasted veggies all the time. I need to get back into that. Thanks!

Some time get some raspberries and smash them up into a topping or kind of sauce and put that w/your sweet potato coins. Like a dessert. 

I just made this: elanaspantry.com/paleo-shepherds-pie

http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-shepherds-pie/

It was delicious.  I made the cauliflower like this:

theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/03/25/roasted-cauliflower-rice

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/03/25/roasted-cauliflower-rice/

I threw in some unpeeled garlic cloves to roast and then added them to the roasted caulifower, which is then pulsed in the food processor after roasting.

The shepherd's pie took me most of the afternoon to make, but it was delicious with a really tasty sauce due to the long saute times.  I think I'd make a double recipe of the meat next time.  And perhaps add some arrowroot powder to thicken the sauce just a bit more.  But it really has a nice deep flavor.

Day 19 great but very sleep early. Turned in at 8:45 but got great sound 7 hours. Workouts going well. Some days I can push, some days I pull back and do what I can.

What's funny about right now is I'm enjoying the same meals the last few days. Before it was about mixing it up with these veggies and that protein, and combo of fats. Right now I just want the same meat (ground beef or salmon), broccoli, and avocado and sweet potato. And eggs every morning of course! I don't think I'll ever tire of eggs.

Maybe my brain is tired of thinking about it and prefers autopilot.

Anyone else?

Yes!! All the time. My work is computer related, so I am in front of a computer 8-10 hours a day. Being on a computer is the last thing I want to do when I leave for the day. Weekends are spent nearly without being on one.

When I had cable, I really enjoyed watching Food Network. Especially Alton Brown. I learned how to cook my steak from him. I really enjoy how he puts the science into cooking.

Alton Brown is great! I love his show. Super entertaining, but easy to learn from, you know?

It gets easier to stay on the plan once you have a set of favorite recipes to eat.  I have a cup of broth, a fried egg and vegetable hash every morning.  We cycle through chocolate chili, steak on the grill, and slow cooker chicken for our meals.  I crave pan fried sardines frequently.

I have a habit of eating the same thing over and over until I get so tired of it that I can't even think about eating it for a while. I'm trying to rotate all my favorites so that I don't do that again!

Although, right now I am craving some of my favorite paleo foods that are not Whole30 approved. Soon I can reintroduce them. :)

this week's success: I made "healthy" chocolate cupcakes for my kiddos.  Normally I'd lick the bowl and eat some batter and have a cupcake since they're "healthy" (made from blackbeans, cocoa, honey, coconut oil).  This time I didn't eat a drop of batter nor have I touched the cupcakes.  Didn't even lick my fingers. ;)

Jenn, I'm with you. I have to make a double batch of my best cookies ever today. No batter, no cookies for me. No cookies !!

You are a stronger person than I! I usually make cookies for DH's final exams (he's a professor) but this time I think I will have to buy them. I don't think I could handle making them, plus then the ingredients would be hanging around calling my name to make another batch...

Thank you so much for sharing this - you saved my night last night!

Desserts are all around me with my kids. But they are real desserts…like vanilla ice cream made with 5 ingredients (not 20-25). Most of the time, I'm not tempted as long as I eat whole30 meal following the template (fat, protein, veggies). It helps to feel Full when being around foods like that :-).

Archived