June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

Hey everyone and happy day 21!!! I have a question, I have been doing really great on the Whole30, but I find lately I want to eat way too much coconut butter at the end of the night and I don't want to stop eating. Anyone else experiencing this? Or has anyone experienced this in the past? Does this mean I am not eating enough during the day so at night my body craves more than it should? So, just to let you know I'm not exaggerating, last night I ate a freezer ziplock bag full of 3/4 celery and 1/4 sliced peppers, 1/2 cup spaghetti squash topped with a Thai spiced shrimp and greens mix (heaping 1/3 cup), then proceeded to eat 1 green apple with shaved 100% dark chocolate and drizzled with coconut butter. Then I ate the rest of the package of coconut butter (altogether 175g roughly 12 Tbsp) and some curry chicken-mushroom-zucchini dish about 5-8 bites, and I wasn't overly full. I have been craving the coconut butter pretty bad just the last 2 days so I've eaten that much 2 nights in a row. Any ideas why now? Thanks for all your help!

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy weekend everyone! I hope we all come out squeaky clean!

I've been going through stuff in my apartment lately, making room for my boyfriend, and it has been so liberating getting rid of just stuff.

Today I have my karate class with a good friend of mine then we'll mosey on over to Chipotle for lunch. I've been wanting to try out the approved food there. I love carnitas and guac, so this should bite that "I want Mexican food" bullet I've been dealing with.

Have a great day!

Hey everyone and happy day 21!!! I have a question, I have been doing really great on the Whole30, but I find lately I want to eat way too much coconut butter at the end of the night and I don't want to stop eating. Anyone else experiencing this? Or has anyone experienced this in the past? Does this mean I am not eating enough during the day so at night my body craves more than it should? So, just to let you know I'm not exaggerating, last night I ate a freezer ziplock bag full of 3/4 celery and 1/4 sliced peppers, 1/2 cup spaghetti squash topped with a Thai spiced shrimp and greens mix (heaping 1/3 cup), then proceeded to eat 1 green apple with shaved 100% dark chocolate and drizzled with coconut butter. Then I ate the rest of the package of coconut butter (altogether 175g roughly 12 Tbsp) and some curry chicken-mushroom-zucchini dish about 5-8 bites, and I wasn't overly full. I have been craving the coconut butter pretty bad just the last 2 days so I've eaten that much 2 nights in a row. Any ideas why now? Thanks for all your help!

I'd add in more protein and see if that helps. Whenever I'm feeling insatiable, that's what I do.

Hi there.

First off, some tough love: no dark chocolate on a Whole30. If it was 100% cacao, and that's its, that is allowed, but only as outlined in the Can I Have Guide - not to make a desserty treat. If it was anything but 100% cacao, that would unfortunately hit the restart button for your Whole30.

Details from the Can I Have Guide: "Cacao (or 100% cocoa) is great when used as a savory spice (our Mocha Steak Rub, found in It Starts With Food, is a great example), but you can also feel free to add it to your coffee or tea, or brew it Crio Bru-style. But per the rules of the program, it's not okay to add cocoa to dates and other fruits to make chocolate-y confections. Read our Great Cocoa Debate for details." - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.IwZ3svER.dpuf

Sounds like coconut butter is food without brakes for you.  I'd consider consciously limiting it to the stated serving size, and if you can't do that, keep it out of the house for the rest of your Whole30.

You might not be eating enough during the day. Feel free to post 2-3 days' worth of your food log in the Troubleshooting section, including daily water intake, exercise routine, and nightly sleep, and folks here can give you feedback on possible tweaks.

i went out to an indian restaurant today for lunch. the buffet specifically. i went with family so i didn't have a choice. i stuck to chicken dishes and salad (no dressing etc). anyway all was well but when I got home, i could tell something was off. despite eating plenty of protein, i still was craving food but felt off. while the main ingredients were posted on the sign, i'm not sure what set me off in a "craving" rage when I got home.

In hindsight, I can clearly see now that eating out at a place like this didn't give me enough of the food balance i'm used to with the template. basically i ate fattier (not super fatty) cuts of chicken and lettuce. clearly i had no carbs and fat! no wonder why i felt deprived and craving food. I also worked out this morning with lots of cardio so clearly i came home wanting to eat everything in sight. Coupled with an emotional situation that set me off. 

SIGH. I wish i could have talked to myself at lunch today. I try not to over think when we go out but this is the type of situation i need to be mentally prepared for a bit more in terms of what am i going to eat and how will i feel satisfied and move on. or i could have reasoned with myself prior to coming home that if i felt tired. to sit or if i was still craving food, to eat a small snack plate of olives and veggies or something like that. I think trying too hard to stick to 3 meals only also was replaying in my head. Clearly OVERTHINKING but not rationally. UGH.

Dinner I had a delicious compliant meal and feel balanced again.

I love the whole30 style. In the several weeks I have followed it (including dabbling in it for a few weeks in april), it has taught me so much about our bodies and what we need nourishment wise to balance it. It, indeed, does start with food.

Three weeks in.  Things are going pretty well.  My wedding ring is loose.  :)  

Tonight presented an interesting situation.  I spent the day in a library waiting for my daughter and her friend who were a swim party some distance from home.  When  picked them up they suggested we go out to dinner.  Their choice was Friendly's.

Friendly's has never been a favorite of mine, but it was almost surreal watching these girls suck down platefuls of food that I had no desire for.  I do know in the past I would have popped their appetizers into my mouth.  I just sipped my water.

Dinner was late for me since I had to wait out the really poor service and drop the girls off.  Tired, I went for leftovers from breakfast.  It wasn't the most exciting, but it was healthy.

And my wife even commented that she's noticed a difference since 1 June. :)

Hi there.

First off, some tough love: no dark chocolate on a Whole30. If it was 100% cacao, and that's its, that is allowed, but only as outlined in the Can I Have Guide - not to make a desserty treat. If it was anything but 100% cacao, that would unfortunately hit the restart button for your Whole30.

Details from the Can I Have Guide: "Cacao (or 100% cocoa) is great when used as a savory spice (our Mocha Steak Rub, found in It Starts With Food, is a great example), but you can also feel free to add it to your coffee or tea, or brew it Crio Bru-style. But per the rules of the program, it's not okay to add cocoa to dates and other fruits to make chocolate-y confections. Read our Great Cocoa Debate for details." - See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.IwZ3svER.dpuf

Sounds like coconut butter is food without brakes for you.  I'd consider consciously limiting it to the stated serving size, and if you can't do that, keep it out of the house for the rest of your Whole30.

You might not be eating enough during the day. Feel free to post 2-3 days' worth of your food log in the Troubleshooting section, including daily water intake, exercise routine, and nightly sleep, and folks here can give you feedback on possible tweaks.

Hey Chris,

Thanks for the heads up and I miss wrote about the chocolate (kinda freaked out when I read it and had to go double check the package but it's 100% cacao, I love the bitter flavor). I will definitely do that about posting a couple of days worth of my meals and coconut butter won't be having a home in my house for the next 9 days. Just a quick question (sorry to bug you) is the green apple with coconut butter and cacao bad? I'm not much of a sweets person but I find I like the flavor combo of sour from the apple, bitter from the cacao and fat from the coconut butter. I haven't had it a lot but should I restart the whole30? Thanks for all your help and I look forward to getting the help with my food/exercise/sleep/water routine.

Thanks again!

Jess

is the green apple with coconut butter and cacao bad? I'm not much of a sweets person but I find I like the flavor combo of sour from the apple, bitter from the cacao and fat from the coconut butter.

I wouldn't use the word "bad," :)  but instead state that the Can I Have Guide specifically says not to make chocolate-covered fruits on a Whole30.

A restart isn't necessary, however I would tell you to shelve this apple/coconut butter/cacao mixture for the rest of your Whole30. 

I wouldn't use the word "bad," :)  but instead state that the Can I Have Guide specifically says not to make chocolate-covered fruits on a Whole30.

A restart isn't necessary, however I would tell you to shelve this apple/coconut butter/cacao mixture for the rest of your Whole30.

You got it and thanks again for all of your help I really appreciate it, it's nice when people take the time to answer your questions/concerns. This is my first Whole30 (of many more I can already tell) and the community that is here is fantastic, everyone is so encouraging and helpful. I am very glad I decided to try it out!

I feel overstuffed and uncomfortably fat after every meal but then hungry an hour later.  My clothes are getting tight, which is stressing me out.

Posting a few days of your food log either here or in a new post in the troubleshooting section would help us help you. 

I love the carnitas at chipotle but always leave a little hungry. Lettuce, carnitas, guac and a little salsa isn't filling enough and I get hungry for the next meal a lot quicker.

Yeah, I felt the same way. It was tasty, but I was still hungry.

Hey all y'all June 1ers. It's been a mixed bag of stuff here at chez robot. Food all good (some excellent), and some much-needed time with people and away from the computer.

Money's a little tight this week, so I'll be finishing up with lots of sweet potato this week :P it happens.

Heading into the final days! Who's ready to keep going? Who's ready to open a cold beer on July 1? Who's undecided?

I enjoyed the Chipotle yesterday. I'm not a fan of carnitas, but the salsa made up for it. That was good salsa.

I am craving chocolate like crazy.

I always have to comment on chipotle posts. Haha. Last year after my first whole 30 when I tried carnitas I found them to not be that flavorful. This year I enjoy them! I feel like as you continue with paleo, you'll find your taste buds change. I always ask for lots of mild and some medium salsa and then sometimes I'll add some of the sea salt they have by the drinks and sometimes a few squeezes of lemon. I find that sometimes their guac needs a touch more citrus and salt.

Also... if you're craving chocolate, make sure you are getting adequate sleep, water, fat, starchy vegs and protein. Especially earlier in the day on the starch and fat. I always find myself craving sweets if I don't get enough sleep or enough protein, fat and starch in the morning. like the other day was out for breakfast and my only option was an egg omelette with spinach, tomato and onions with a small arugula and lemon salad, but their potatoes looked like frankenfood, so didn't get the starch or added fat of coconut oil and coconut milk like I usually have, so when I got home in the afternoon after a disappointing lunch out as well, I was ravenous. Ate a ton of chicken, sweet potato and a chopped.veggie mix salad with a sunshine sauce type concoction and a few grapes and drank a ton of water and felt much better.

I Really need my sweet potato, coconut oil and coconut milk in the morning. It evens me out for the day.

I always have to comment on chipotle posts. Haha. Last year after my first whole 30 when I tried carnitas I found them to not be that flavorful. This year I enjoy them! I feel like as you continue with paleo, you'll find your taste buds change. I always ask for lots of mild and some medium salsa and then sometimes I'll add some of the sea salt they have by the drinks and sometimes a few squeezes of lemon. I find that sometimes their guac needs a touch more citrus and salt.

I Really need my sweet potato, coconut oil and coconut milk in the morning. It evens me out for the day.

Great tip! Also I agree, I need sweet potato (now after hearing from you-Chardoll and Tom D) with my breakfast. I eat half with my eggs and the other half at dinner. I also LOVE coconut oil in my coffee. Black coffee isn't complete without it.

Full disclosure: I had a rockstar day yesterday with eats, mental stuff, and felt really strong physically. I've cut back on workout intensity the past couple of months but still remain active. I just limit the cardio and added in 15-20 minutes of weights twice a week and more walking, less running. ANYWAY, yesterday I felt so strong and fit.

Today, I woke up feeling puffy and well just plain FAT. I don't like that word but that's all I felt. Well I talked to myself and trust me, it sounds silly but as an adult, I need to lecture myself and really absorb my words. Kind of like reading something good but then you gotta act to make it happen.

Anyway I told myself:

1. you are eating well, healthy, enough and you are enjoying it.

2. You are exercising and moving throughout the day.

3. you are happy, healthy and crap happens...to everyone. not just you. DEAL. and move on.

4. If you are still thinking about food, you are not eating enough. you are not dealing with an underlying worry. Or you are bored and not focusing  on something more important like resting. reading, etc

So long story short, I feel better. I did what I could this morning in terms of moving my body, i ate a nutritious breakfast, and i'm going to work. That's all I can do in the end. I need to focus on healing my body, eating normally (no cutting calories for now or long term) and just live life!

Sorry so long. and if you read this whole thing. Thanks. I know I sound crazy, i'm not. I'm as normal as normal can be but overthink things too much. :-)

wyoinap - I read your entire post and it was great!  I know the feeling of waking up and feeling "fat"  I talk to myself too so to speak.  The mind is powerful and sometimes we have to fight back all that negative stuff it may try to feed us.  You're doing GREAT!  I am a day behind you all but it has been well worth it even though I haven't seen the weight loss I was hoping for but that will come eventually.  ( not to get all medical and too personal but I found out on Day 10 after my fasting blood work, I have a Hypothamis, slows metabolisms, low energy, focus, etc).  :)  I plan on staying on this program 80-90%of the time for the rest of my days.  

Hi Robotarmy  I am a day behind all of you but I will be having an adult beverage on 2 July!  And I am commited to stay on this program 80-90% of the time & redo the 30 Day program when and if I feel it's needed to get back on track.  This is the BEST program I have ever attempted and followed through with (well almost)  and I have been on many programs, Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach to name a few.

Also... if you're craving chocolate, make sure you are getting adequate sleep, water, fat, starchy vegs and protein. Especially earlier in the day on the starch and fat. I always find myself craving sweets if I don't get enough sleep or enough protein, fat and starch in the morning. like the other day was out for breakfast and my only option was an egg omelette with spinach, tomato and onions with a small arugula and lemon salad, but their potatoes looked like frankenfood, so didn't get the starch or added fat of coconut oil and coconut milk like I usually have, so when I got home in the afternoon after a disappointing lunch out as well, I was ravenous. Ate a ton of chicken, sweet potato and a chopped.veggie mix salad with a sunshine sauce type concoction and a few grapes and drank a ton of water and felt much better.

Oh, I've been doing Paleo for a couple years now. I'm just not big on pork, unless it's called bacon, haha.

For the chocolate, I am nearing my time of the month. For the rest of it, I cannot do too much starch early in the day, or I get ravenously hungry for carbs. It's horrid. :/ I wish it would stop. Hopefully it will in time.

Hey all y'all June 1ers. It's been a mixed bag of stuff here at chez robot. Food all good (some excellent), and some much-needed time with people and away from the computer.

Money's a little tight this week, so I'll be finishing up with lots of sweet potato this week :P it happens.

Heading into the final days! Who's ready to keep going? Who's ready to open a cold beer on July 1? Who's undecided?

I am going to start reintroducing things that I am not sure of, like dairy. I miss my ice cream!

Archived