June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

Roll Call! Who made it 30 days? Congrats... a few more hours!

Did it! My skin's clearer and I have more energy, but I'm still getting some occasional bloating (broccoli is my main suspect, sadly) and I have hormonal issues to fix so I'm staying on for a Whole90. :)

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats to you all as you complete your Whole30! Be sure to post your successes in the Success Stories section.

If you are continuing on with your Whole30 for longer than 30 days, feel free to continue to post on this thread.

For those who are doing reintroductions, we ask that you create a new thread to document that part of your journey in the Whole30 Reintroduction section.

same here!

I usually feel absolutely lousy the first 2 days, and I do still feel weak and uncomfortable, but nowhere near as bad as usual.

None of the usual GI distress, no nausea, the cramping is very different and greatly reduced... and more than that, this is my first normal cycle in.... years.  TMI?  Yeah?  Sorry...   :lol: 

I have a baking side business and do occasional cakes for parties, etc.

This weekend, I made a sheet cake for a party for friends.

At the party, there wasn't anything compliant that I could eat AND I was asked to cut and serve the cake.

I didn't let on that I didn't eat anything and served the cake, then immediately washed the icing off of my hands.   ;) 

I've seen several people they plan to stay with Whole 9 eating 90% of the time.

I'm curious what each person's definition of Whole 9 eating is... because I think that's in line with my plan, but I want to be sure I'm not missing something here.

That's really impressive - I'd have a big internal struggle on my hands if I had to bake a cake and serve it!! Well done!

Read chapter 20 of It Starts With Food for information on post Whole30 living and Riding Your Own Bike. :)

I'm curious what each person's definition of Whole 9 eating is... because I think that's in line with my plan, but I want to be sure I'm not missing something here.

For me, it's eating meals that are approved, except for one meal/day out of the week/month. Not sure which yet. I need to see how I handle things first. I want to be in a position to where I can have that <insert food here> because I know that the effects of it won't drag me down or make me feel guilty for having it.

I definitely don't want to go back to how I was a month ago. Constant headaches, sleeping but not resting, feeling bloated. Bleh.

My definition is stick to usual breakfast lunch dinners and not sweat it when we go out with ingredients. i will not do my usual thing prior to whole 30 where I ate dessert every night to "carb" load for my runs the following day. No more of that and it's been so freeing!!!!

And the occasional times we socially go out, i will partake in rum and diet coke with lime.

I did the 30 days with only 2 days where I had something off plan BUT I ate three compliant meals on those days and didn't suffer any gut or emotional reactions. I am continuing on with the same plan but will have cocktails on the occasional night we go out and dessert only IF i really want it.

What i have undone the last 30 days (onto a lifetime of habit) is:

1. No more calorie counting, macro counting, etc. WOOOOO HOOOOOO! No more saving calories for dessert.

2. I learned three big, full, nutritional meals is the best protocol for me. I'm not embarrassed anymore, I don't care. My body, my health

3. I learned the value of FATS. Enough said. 

4. I learned the value of post work out meals (thanks Moderators Tom and Physibeth and a few of you on this forum)

5. I learned the value of fermented foods. Lifesaver. The pills are nothing compared to the real live food. Wow.

6. I heart sweet potatoes.

I am continuing on this forum unless Doc or Chardoll start a new one.

Congrats to everyone! thanks for all the updates and support.

DH and I are a day behind you guys, but we are still here and finishing strong! The past week I have been sick so while my choices have been technically compliant, I have strayed from the template. It's what I had to do to survive so I'm ok with that.

I am ready for this to be done. I haven't really noticed any differences or changes. Hubby does feel better, so I'm interested in how reintro goes for him...

my plan is to continue palm sized protein and a large quantity of vege three times a day.  However I imagine I will go back to indulging in the occational sweet treat if I feel like it.  Although for me a sweet treat generally consists of a very small quantity of honey or maple syrup in a grain free homemade item. I haven't decided about the re-addition of legumes and beans. I do miss my veg'n meals.

Roll Call! Who made it 30 days? Congrats... a few more hours!

I made it!!  We're about to sit down to dinner: steelhead trout fillet with an orange-balsamic marinade, roasted spicy sweet potatoes, and steamed green beans from our CSA with clarified butter. And maybe a plum from our trees for "dessert". Yummmm.

It's really weird to think that tomorrow, I can eat whatever I feel like eating. I know I'm still going to have my usual eggs and kale for breakfast, but with my sister, bro-in-law, toddler nephew, and dad all coming to visit me tomorrow (which is so exciting! I haven't seen my sister and her family in a year -- they haven't even gotten to meet my daughter yet!), I really can't know what I'll be having for lunch. But I already have some really great Paleo dinners planned: A 4th of July cookout with burgers, chicken breasts, grilled pepper and sweet onions, purple potato salad; taco night where everyone can have the shells and I'll stick with lettuce cups; roasted chicken with sweet potatoes, beets, and spinach salad.

It's really important to me that I actually take these lessons to heart and keep eating this way. If I just go back to eating whatever this week, justifying it with "I have family in town," then this whole experience will have been for nothing. I kicked all those cravings for a reason!  Plus, this is a chance to show my family how reasonable it can be to eat a Paleo diet (80-90%) full time.

But boy... I am so excited for that iced coffee with cream tomorrow.

2. I learned three big, full, nutritional meals is the best protocol for me. I'm not embarrassed anymore, I don't care. My body, my health

3. I learned the value of FATS. Enough said.

4. I learned the value of post work out meals (thanks Moderators Tom and Physibeth and a few of you on this forum)

6. I heart sweet potatoes.

I am continuing on this forum unless Doc or Chardoll start a new one.

Congrats to everyone! thanks for all the updates and support.

♡♡♡ everything you said especially 2,3,4,6. I just started doing pre/post wo meals during this w30 but have been working out consistently since February so it was a great thing to learn. Glad you listened and started doing the post wo meals too!

I ♡ sweet potatoes too and I'm so worried about what I'm going to do without them while I'm in italy for 3 weeks starting next Tues. And to that end, I won't be on the July thread. I will however post my 1 year success story sometime tomorrow. :-)

Since my first whole30 last July, I've stayed eating pretty much the same way with very occasional indulgences (ONE slice of pizza with a huge salad, corn chips with a compliant meal at a Mexican restaurant, dark chocolate, paleo zucchini muffins, family recipe peanut brittle and sugar cookies on Christmas day) but I really try to limit all of that. In February I had a few too many indulgences and I blame it on being sick then having family in town and 15 snow days and my son's birthday etc, and that was when I felt like I needed another whole 30 to get me off my 2 (!) Month plateau. So for me continuing on whole9/paleo is just that. Choose some occasional indulgences but stick to whole30 style eating. Rein it in immediately and don't indulge for 3 meals or 3 days or 3 weeks (if it gets to a week of bad choices do a Whole30 immediately):-) remember, "I already know what it feels like to give up. I want to see what happens if I don't."

Good luck riding your own bike.

But boy... I am so excited for that iced coffee with cream tomorrow.

When I reintro'd cream my stomach was mad at me! Really gurgly and painful. I'm curious to see how you do. I will start a reintro page for our group.

My wife woke me up with, "Congratulations!"  I was confused as to what she was speaking about.  Then she said she was proud of me for making it 30 days.  Oh yeah!

The scale said I lost 19 pounds.  I am amazed by the fact I have not had a soda in all this time.  That was significant for me.  Even when I was eating paleo, I never gave up my diet soda.  Things are better without all that.

As I stated yesterday, I plan on continuing Whole 30.  I do not feel hampered by the restrictions; I actually relish that hardcore line.  It makes it easy to decide what I can eat and what I can't.  I think it helps me from stretching into dangerous territory.

Congratulations to all who made it a month!

When I reintro'd cream my stomach was mad at me! Really gurgly and painful. I'm curious to see how you do. I will start a reintro page for our group.

Yeah my tummy wasn't thrilled, but I think it was the acidity of the coffee (haven't had a drop in 30 days) and not the tablespoon of cream in there. I didn't even finish the cup, haha -- I kept forgetting I had poured it!

My wife woke me up with, "Congratulations!"  I was confused as to what she was speaking about.  Then she said she was proud of me for making it 30 days.  Oh yeah!

The scale said I lost 19 pounds.  I am amazed by the fact I have not had a soda in all this time.  That was significant for me.  Even when I was eating paleo, I never gave up my diet soda.  Things are better without all that.

As I stated yesterday, I plan on continuing Whole 30.  I do not feel hampered by the restrictions; I actually relish that hardcore line.  It makes it easy to decide what I can eat and what I can't.  I think it helps me from stretching into dangerous territory.

Congratulations to all who made it a month!

Wow! 19 lbs -- did you ever feel hungry or deprived? That's amazing. Well done!  I lost 7, which makes me happy. I can finally say I'm losing some of the pregnancy weight!

well, i gained six lbs (156 to 162) and went up three inches in my waist (31-33).  I am not amused.  

Hmmm. You can always look on the Troubleshooting forum to see if anyone else experienced similar effects. You might also want to weigh in again tomorrow, to see if some of that is water weight.

What about other markers for success? Did you tame a sweet tooth, stop feeling tired after meals (those were my big two), get clearer skin or reduce inflammation from an injury? 

I hope my optimism doesn't bug you (I kinda' hate encouragement when I'm disappointed) -- I just don't want anyone to think this experience was a waste.

Wow! 19 lbs -- did you ever feel hungry or deprived? That's amazing. Well done! 

The only deprivation I felt was initially.  The first four days were rough as the carbs were gone.  I still have not quenched my thirst.  I long for soda, I drink water with lemon constantly.  I am always thirsty.

I constantly feel full, which is the magic of this kind of eating.  

Thanks for the kind words.

It's funny how it feels like the end even though this is just day 31 for me.

I lost 14 pounds. I'm in the middle of writing up my success story and what I've learned. I'll post it over on the success stories section. I'm mostly really proud that I honored my commitment to myself. :)

So, those of us continuing. Are we staying here or going to the July thread ?

Thanks for everyone's support and input over the last 30 days. I couldn't have done it without you! :)

Oh. Question. I just made the chocolate chili in my crockpot. I feel like I'm looking at a crockpot full of spaghetti sauce. Does that sound right? Fine with me, I have spaghetti squash. :) but I might need to pick up some noodles for the rest of my family.

Wow! 19 lbs -- did you ever feel hungry or deprived? That's amazing. Well done!  I lost 7, which makes me happy. I can finally say I'm losing some of the pregnancy weight!

Hmmm. You can always look on the Troubleshooting forum to see if anyone else experienced similar effects. You might also want to weigh in again tomorrow, to see if some of that is water weight.

What about other markers for success? Did you tame a sweet tooth, stop feeling tired after meals (those were my big two), get clearer skin or reduce inflammation from an injury? 

I hope my optimism doesn't bug you (I kinda' hate encouragement when I'm disappointed) -- I just don't want anyone to think this experience was a waste.

nope i've been very light on the sugar for years, my exhaustion levels are worse, and I have a pimple for the first time in forever.  

I've got a thread elsewehere that mods are helping me troubleshoot, but i'm def feeling like this was a giant waste of my time.  

We are officially finished here. I lost 10 lbs! I am in complete shock. I think it was the Whole30 combined with being sick last week and all but weaning my son. I'll take it! I am exactly back to my pre-pregnancy weight. My body is far from the same, but I'll take that, too :-)

Hubby lost maybe 2 lbs. Which is good because he doesn't have any to spare.

We are officially finished here. I lost 10 lbs! I am in complete shock. I think it was the Whole30 combined with being sick last week and all but weaning my son. I'll take it! I am exactly back to my pre-pregnancy weight. My body is far from the same, but I'll take that, too :-)

Hubby lost maybe 2 lbs. Which is good because he doesn't have any to spare.

Great! Good for you! Sorry about being sick and weaning. I know that is so hard and can be heartbreaking. My body is definitely different now after two kids, which I can see now that I'm back to wedding weight. We are mommas. That's life! :-)

Archived