June 1st Support Thread

CharDoll

Thank you, Walker. Seems it may be little hard to navigate after a while, but I will give it a try.  B) 

I have subscribed to the whole30 daily e-mails, started over many times in the past two weeks but I think today is finally the day I am going to stick to it. I like all of the daily motivators and tips. I am following Mark Hyman's 10 day detox in terms of food, I am thinking that it is compatible. No wheat, dairy, sugar, alcohol, caffeine, legumes, grains, flours.....does allow tofu and tempeh, I don't remember if the whole 30 allows this or not? It is more restrictive on sugar, no sugar of any type, including fruit with the exception of 1/2 c of berries in the breakfast smoothie. But the overall idea is the same, whole, real, unprocessed foods, proteins, tons of vegggies. There are some other parts to this though that I want to incorporate, like walking, exercise, media detox, baths.... Is anyone else familiar with this program....following it, followed it before, etc.? Do you think it will work in conjunction with the whole30 system, e-mails, etc. Does it make sense for me to join in here??

Hi be healthy,

Whole 30 guidelines clearly state:

"Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin). - See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.EiPpqmNH.dpuf"

They also discourage drinking smoothies, preferring instead that we chew our food and not drink it. So if you want to do the Whole30, just eat the blueberries. Maybe review the rules, link above, and see if that's what you want to do. Good luck!

• Replies 731
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi be healthy,

Whole 30 guidelines clearly state:

"Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin). - See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.EiPpqmNH.dpuf"

They also discourage drinking smoothies, preferring instead that we chew our food and not drink it. So if you want to do the Whole30, just eat the blueberries. Maybe review the rules, link above, and see if that's what you want to do. Good luck!

I had some smoothies during my first Whole30 -- I was going on a business trip and knew I'd have ZERO options at the hotel, so I brought a bunch of frozen smoothies to see me through breakfast. But they did not keep me full the way that a real, solid breakfast did. So you won't be breaking the Whole 30, but you may not feel super satisfied either.

I am a newbie to this way of thinking and eating. I need to lose weight and feel better. I am excited, but nervous about starting today 6/1/14. Wish me luck!

Welcome ddeska! You will feel better and lose weight! Good luck!

As I write this, I am cooking a tomato soup with every conceivable vegetable - except white potatoes and corn. I threw in sweet potatoes, kale, green zucchini, carrots and fresh basil from my garden. It smells amazing.

And a pork butt with chopped onion and thyme is reducing in my slow cooker. That also lends an awesome smell.

To add to what you said, Walker7135, I lost seven pounds on my first Whole30 and stayed about the same weight on my second whole30. I want this experience to be rewarding for me and bring me back to a place where I make better choices more often.

Be well and healthy,

Betsy

ok half way throught the day. Definitely have to gt more accustomed to this style of eating- the healthy fats thing I am not used to . I tried an all protein diet before and I think that is influencing how I am looking at this.  More reading tonight. Glad to be part of this forum!  

Hi Whole30 Crew,

Starting tomorrow as well. I am trying to be positive, but it is very tough. My biggest issue is time. 

I work just about every night from Midnight to 8am. Then I leave and hit the Gym (2 to 4 days a week) After the gym I take a 45-1 hour drive to my office for a business I own. Then work there for the day. Leave there head home, take a nap, off to work at 11.

So my biggest challenges are eating when I'm tired ON THE GO and Going out to Eat. I am going to try to eat Fruits and Vegs (Vegs: Cucumbers, Raw Bell Pepers) while I am driving and tired. 

But could too much fruits be bad? like Blackberrys, Kiwi's and or cherrys??

Could I eat to much nuts??

Also what about the meals. I have been skipping breakfast (or moving it) to lunch.

So my

1st meal would be a snack on the road to office

2nd Breakfast at 12 ot 1pm

3rd Dinner at 6 or 7pm

4th Snack at 10/11 in route to work

5th Soup & grilled chicken kabab (with pita) at 2am

6th Carmel machetto at 7am

Then start all over, except when I take staff out for lunch or dinner, a client out etc....

I am also hopping NO Energy drinks will make me fall off the wagon.

I am gonna also try organic shops that make fruit smoothes with cocunut milk, I guess

Any good fact s to follow??? Anyone???

I would highly encourage you to check out NomNomPaleo's blog as she is the queen of Whole30 compliance while working a night shift.

Before I get into the food I have a serious question for you. How much do you actually sleep? Getting adequate sleep is an important aspect of a Whole9 lifestyle.

On the food. We would highly encourage for your best results to have 3 meals a day that fit the meal planning template. That means 1-2 palms of protein (for eggs that is as many whole eggs as you can hold in your hand without dropping them), 1-3 cups of veggies (or more), 1-2 servings of fat (or more). Fruit is ideally limited to part of or at the end of a meal. Regularly snacking on fruit and nuts can delay the hormone balancing that most people experience during their Whole30, can cause tummy issues, and feeds the sugar/snack dragon.

I will reinforce what was already said about smoothies:

Smoothies: We'd rather you didn't

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn't getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it's had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we'd rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.ptJJMXLG.dpuf

For dining out we have a guide for that.

Overall Whole30 is not just a change of what we eat - it is also changing why, when, and how we eat. For many it also includes changing other lifestyle aspects that benefit long term health.

I just started today as well!  

I ate paleo when I started cross fit in the spring of 2012.  I stuck with it for about a year but after a knee injury I stopped exercising (for the first time in my life since I was a semi-pro beach volleyball player) and went back to eating whatever struck my fancy.  So for the past year I've been a lump on a log and I've gain 40 lbs.

Time to get healthy again.

Hello everyone, I am on Day 1 today June 1st, and I am STARVING!!! I realized everything has soy in it!!! Good grief.  I really want to stick to this, the only thing I feel safe eating right now are apples, bananas, and eggs.  I am trying to stay focused.  

Please print out a copy of the meal planning template, make a plan, and go shopping the shopping list in hand. Read the labels carefully. There are plenty of things you can (and should) eat besides apples, bananas, and eggs you just need a plan. You shouldn't be starving on Whole30. If you are hungry eat something with protein and fat and vegetables.

Day 1….had our good breakfast and then it was communion Sunday! It was just a small piece of bread and little cup of juice but I guess I'll start over tomorrow.  My oldest child threw up his breakfast (that he refused to eat so he had it again at lunch) because he didn't like the asparagus.  I'm still eating everything else we are supposed to today but it's not started off so good :(.

Hi beegram!

Last summer someone in a breastfeeding support group I was in on FB posted that her supply increased when she started a whole 30 and that she loved it. So I Googled it on June 28, 2013 and started July 1,2014 and have been whole 9/ paleo since! I know it's cliché, but it has changed my life, helped me create much healthier eating habits and a healthier relationship with food. Plus the added bonus of losing 70lbs/32 kg.

Welcome to the first day of the rest of your life. You can do it! Seriously, and heres another cliché for you... if I can do it, anyone can.

Thanks CharDoll. Enjoyed day 1 & am looking forward to the changes in my life. :-)

Hey guys.. First off congrats to everyone, it feels amazing to have finally started doesn't it and have the kitchen stocked up. Day 1 complete woo hoo 😊 I'm going to be posting my meals each day on Instagram for my own future reference and to maybe help others, if ud like to see for any tips/recipes it's @tinkertaylorcox

Hi beegram,

I am in Australia too and also gearing up to start tomorrow morning so we will be on the same timing.

I also have weight to lose, wine to miss, and smoothies to give up for brecky so we have a lot in common! :)

I look forward to sharing your progress.

Nicki

Thanks Nicki. Would usually be having my morning drink now! Have leftovers to warm up today instead. Day 1 went fine for me. The great thing about this way of eating for me is that I don't have to give up food - like other diets. As long as they are the right choices can eat till I'm satisfied. Enjoying being creative substituting ingredients in recipes.

Onward & upward. :-)

Breakfast we had a yummy egg scrabble with different colored peppers, mushrooms and on the side a few slices of avocados and a chicken apple sausage I found on Trader Joe's that had no sugar.  We also had some fruit.  

I have been cleaning my kitchen today and organizing it and getting rid of so much crap I don't, mainly baby stuff my kids have grown out of.  Finally done-now I have a nice clean kitchen to cook in!  I made a whole bunch of hard boiled eggs, some to have as a quick snack and some to make deviled eggs for tomorrows lunch.  Today's lunch was left over chicken legs, hard boiled eggs and a quick salad I made that included all sorts of greens you could think of with cherry tomatoes and diced apples seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice salt and pepper (it was the quickest dressing I could think of).  Some of the greens were a little to rough for a salad so I'm going to sauté them up with some ground pork to have for emergency protein.  

For dinner tonight we are making mushroom burgers and using portabello mushroom as our "bread".  With homemade sweet potato fries...mmm.  

Since I have time today I've been doing a lot of prep to make meals esker to put together for this week.  Yes, I've been in the kitchen a lot, but I hope it pays off!  

How is everyone else doing?  And I love the Nom Nom app, if you don't have it, its worth getting.     

Day 1….had our good breakfast and then it was communion Sunday! It was just a small piece of bread and little cup of juice but I guess I'll start over tomorrow.  My oldest child threw up his breakfast (that he refused to eat so he had it again at lunch) because he didn't like the asparagus.  I'm still eating everything else we are supposed to today but it's not started off so good :(.

Religious adherence trumps Whole30 rules. If there is a non-gluten option that is a better choice but we don't make you restart for observing communion.

Hi

I'm new here and new to Whole30, paleo, etc. This is day 5 for me on Whole30, so far it has been better (but not easy) than I imagined it would be to adapt to. The cooking and meal planning is a whole new world for me. I've never cooked this much! AND I've never done so many dishes :) !!!

I'm doing W30 to mainly learn about myself and cravings. I have a tendency to over-eat on carby "no brakes" (as the ISWF book puts it) and no matter how big of a dinner I have, I crave dessert or at least a pre-bed snack. I want to know more about my tendencies so I can make changes.

I just finished the ISWF book and I especially liked hearing that adding more protein to my meals should squash me wanting snacks. I'e started today but I still want to snack. So far, it means I drink more water and eat fruit... though I need to keep that limited as well!

Nice to meet you guys.!

mamidecuatro ~ Your dinenr sounds delicious and similar to mine tonight! I am having bison burgers, cauliflower garlic mashed potatos, and homemade sweet potatoes fries as well! 

I just got a big order in from US Wellness a few days ago. We ordered 7 packs of the extra spicy beef sticks!

Day 1 went well. Thankfully. 29 to go.

I won't give log of daily eats to spare you but for dinner I made "best chicken ever" from clothes make the girl. Yummo! I highly suggest for those of you tired of boring chicken. This was so good.

Mentally a good day. Kept busy and focused. The test will be when I have down time, stressed or tired.

Read the book about a year ago and made some changes to how I eat but didn't do the "Whole 30".  Wanted to try it for the month of June and see how it can help me change my relationship with food.  I started today and am looking forward to eating ONLY things that are helpful to my body and well-being.  Really going to miss having a glass of wine.  Bought some herbal tea to sip on instead.  Good luck everybody! :rolleyes:

Howdy Y'all!

I'm doing my first Whole30 this month! I start on Wednesday, after a tedious visit to the grocery store! I'm new to the Paleo-world but I'm very excited to see the results from the Whole30!!! I'd love to follow this post/forum/room for tips!  :rolleyes:

Hello everybody!

I'm so happy this group/thread exist, and I look forward to read it everyday.

I'm a Norwegian girl, living in Spain. I've eaten more or less paleo for almost a year. I struggle with chronic sinusitis plus psoriatic arthritis and therefore, with quite a lot of infections and inflammation in my body I figured I needed to change my diet a year back. I lost quite a lot of weight, which was a pleasant 'side-effect', but after adding dairy products back to my diet in january I've had a lot of pain in my joints again and now finally decided to do a whole30.

I'm very excited about this and truly look forward to not adding any milk proteins, any sources of sweeteners or other things that trigger inflammation in my body. I cut out dairy products again about 2 weeks ago, and I eat as clean as possible, except for a weekly indulgence day where I sometimes have an ice cream and some potato chips. I also love my glass of red wine, so that will be hard to say no to when hanging out with spanish friends, but totally do-able. I also love my sparkling water ;)

The only thing that sucks is the access to organic groceries (and believe me, it's freaking difficult to find a decent organic store around here, they excist but with limited selection. It's nearly impossible to find grass-fed meat and a bunch of other stuff, but I've found a few web pages where I can order it here, so I will definately order bacon and such there, hence to the fat, but probably continue buying lean cuts, beefs and ground (minced) beef at my local, very nice butcher (carniceria), where they also put aside bones for me to make my own broth.

I started today making beef jerky, of fine beef that I put in marinade last night and let soak overnight. It took almost 6 hours in the oven, but sooo worth it. It turned out very well and will be a lifesaver in between classes (I'm a teacher, obviously).

Gosh, this comment turned out longer than I planned.

Anyways, I'm so excited and proud of all of us!

We can do it!!

PS! for those wit IG, my name is @frkhera and I will upload meals once in a while (when it looks decent ;))

- peace

Starting my 2nd whole 30 today and am really glad I'm not alone! I assumed this time would be easier starting off since I knew what to expect, but oddly enough it's been mentally more difficult...here's it hoping the next few days get better!!

Hi there! My name is Fernando, I'm Mexican and this is my 5th whole30. I'm starting today (June 1st). I'm quite exited again and is the first time that I join the group in the chat and also is my first time whith the whole30daily. Best of lucks to all!

A successful Day 1. 

I'm not going to list all of my food each day, just if I have something *different* to share.

My favorite thing that I ate today was a baked sweet potato with coconut oil melted on it. mmmmm.  :)

Archived